• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Cutting Cresent select conservation solids mat

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

monkey

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Anyone having trouble cutting Cresent Select Consevation Solids 4-ply mat?

I cut Cresent mat # 85712, a 4-ply mat and the bevel looks really terrible all around, I attached a photo. I cut it on Wizard 8000 with a new blade. I don't think it's my mat cutter or the blade because I was cutting mats all day prior with no problems and I cut other Cresent mats afterward with the same blade with no problems. So I'm hoping this was just a bad lot. I'm about to reorder this mat from another vendor and hope for a cleaner cut, unless this is a typical result for this particular mat.

Attachments

• 20210829_092631.jpg
    20210829_092631.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 20
Register for the picture framer's grumble

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Shredding core paper was a common problem for a while, when the fiber density of the core paper was not enough to cut without shredding. That problem - a manufacturing defect from the paper mill - was solved a few years ago, but perhaps it has re-emerged. Or, is it possible that your matboard is a few years old?

As far as I know, the only solution is to use a fresh blade. CMCs (all of them) seem to shred the core more readily, so maybe manual cutting would be best for that particular production run of matboard.

monkey

Thanks Jim. I just bought these mat boards from Omega maybe 2 weeks ago. I'm going to buy them again from another vendor and hopefully get a better result.

Attachments

• 16303428161058046243859804350646.jpg
    16303428161058046243859804350646.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 15

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Thanks Jim. I just bought these mat boards from Omega maybe 2 weeks ago. I'm going to them from another vendor and hopefully get a better result.
It is possible that a mat could rest in a distributor's stock for a long time, especially if properly stored. So, buying from another supplier might be a good solution.

Or, maybe if you contact Omega and explain the issue, they could confirm that it's old and give you a credit, or exchange it for a newer matboard, or verify that it's a new board with an old problem.

Another thought...Your photo shows severe shredding, but sometimes the visual effect of it can be reduced by repositioning the bunched-up fibers using a pointy tool and smoothing the bevel with a burnishing bone.

Anyway, I remember how frustrating it was to have to deal with that problem. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

monkey

Register for the picture framer's grumble
The date on the Crescent mat board sticker says 6/2/21, so I'm assuming it's pretty new. I tried smoothing the bevel with a pointy tool and burnishing bone, no luck. It looks like clump of fiber in the board that is getting dragged.

I reordered the mat from another vendor, I'm hoping it will be from a different lot and get a better result. Fingers crossed.

Springlock by Craft Inc

SusanG

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Hey Monkey! This has been happening to me too! One thing to double check before you cut the next one would be your backing board on the Wizard. Sometimes that helps. I feel your pain.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Consider notifying Crescent directly on this. Going through a distributor might not get the message delivered in the way you intended.
I had an issue with another manufacturer of mats and went to their CS directly. I got very quick response with an understanding of my problem and a replacement of the product.
Manufacturers want to know about quality issues, and they don't seem to mind if you skip the chain of command. The distributor will continue selling the product until the manufacturer tells them to stop.

monkey

Turns out everyone is out of stock on this mat, I hope it comes in soon. I will definitely be cutting the mat with a new blade and backing board.

I just called Crescent as you guys suggested, customer service forwarded me to the plant manager's voicemail and I left him a detailed message. Hopefully the new batch will be better.

SmallCorp Welded Aluminum Frames, Acrylic Cases, Frames