• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Cross stitch question

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

pjraser

Grumbler
I have a cross stitch needle art that was framed by Leewards in the 80’s. They attached it to a sticky foam product and the piece needs to be cleaned. Does anyone have an idea on how to remove it from the sticky foam backing? Thanks!

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
The short and probably painful answer is send it to a textile conservator. The adhesive changes over time and will get into the fiber of the fabrics. Part of the removal process would be to extract as much of the adhesive as possible before stretching it to return to the frame.
If that isn't an option, remember that taking on the job also assumes the risk for a successful outcome. Perhaps someone with more experience with textiles will bring you a different perspective.

Some of the processes we used in the 70's and 80's don't hold up well to current standards, and sticky board was one of them.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
What Wally said.

I would not even try to do that myself. Can you imagine any loose threads on the back, that you might pull while taking it off something so sticky? I would not want to create such a problem for myself.
Textile conservator for sure. Or if customer wants to try it themselves, well, it is their decision.
Why does it need to be cleaned? No glass? Or is it from the sticky foam board?

Melinda Tennis

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Forum Donor
Business
Melinda's
I just peeled a 40 year old cross-stitch, very slowly, off a sticky board yesterday. It had yellowing/foxing from acidic backing. I had the customer test the color fastness and she washed it in Oxygen bleach and Woolite. Came out much cleaner. If it looks like a well executed cross-stitch the back threads should be secure. If unsure, get the customer to peel it off.

pjraser

Grumbler
What Wally said.

I would not even try to do that myself. Can you imagine any loose threads on the back, that you might pull while taking it off something so sticky? I would not want to create such a problem for myself.
Textile conservator for sure. Or if customer wants to try it themselves, well, it is their decision.
Why does it need to be cleaned? No glass? Or is it from the sticky foam board?
There wasn’t any glass. I know they used to be framed without glass, but I always recommend glass to protect the art.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

pjraser

Grumbler
I just peeled a 40 year old cross-stitch, very slowly, off a sticky board yesterday. It had yellowing/foxing from acidic backing. I had the customer test the color fastness and she washed it in Oxygen bleach and Woolite. Came out much cleaner. If it looks like a well executed cross-stitch the back threads should be secure. If unsure, get the customer to peel it off.
Thanks, I’ll suggest it. Although, I’d be afraid the floss color would bleed. She said she pre-washed the floss prior to stitching.

pjraser

Grumbler
The short and probably painful answer is send it to a textile conservator. The adhesive changes over time and will get into the fiber of the fabrics. Part of the removal process would be to extract as much of the adhesive as possible before stretching it to return to the frame.
If that isn't an option, remember that taking on the job also assumes the risk for a successful outcome. Perhaps someone with more experience with textiles will bring you a different perspective.

Some of the processes we used in the 70's and 80's don't hold up well to current standards, and sticky board was one of them.
I will call a conservator and talk to them before trying anything. The cost may be more than she’s willing to pay.

JFeig

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
If you contact any textile conservator, they will say "do not use Woolite®". The PH of it is totally wrong for preservation. Washing in basic dishwashing detergent (Ex: Dawn®) is much more appropriate.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
I will call a conservator and talk to them before trying anything. The cost may be more than she’s willing to pay.
CAUTION! If she's unwilling to pay for professional removal, then she may ask you to "just do what you can" to remove it.
A word of advice: Don't.

If you attempt removal and anything goes wrong, you might be the one who has to pay for the conservator's work, and it could be even more costly to fix issues added by a failed removal attempt. Don't ask how I know that.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller
Ad Banner for SmallCorp