• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Cricut versus Silhouette

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Not strictly framing equipment, but I know framers use these machines.
My daughter (teacher) wants one. I promised I would do some research, but it is difficult to find real ones.

She has been looking at the Cricut (and it seems to come in so many models, I lost track). I have used the Silhouette before (I worked in a school setting for 2 years at night) but can't remember anything specific about it.

Any advice welcome!

SusanG

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I have the first of the Silhouette Cameos. I believe that they are up to #4 now. It's perfect for my needs. You can find them gently used on FB Marketplace for great prices. They are extremely sophisticated and many people buy them and then feel intimidated and sell them before getting far. You Tube videos are helpful. There are lots of FB Forums too. Determining your needs will help you decide. Some cut certain materials better than others. It seems like many don't like Cricut because of something with the designing process. Many jumped ship to Silhouette. There is a great learning curve. I am amazed at what I can do with it. I have cut vinyl for mirrors and made some totally awesome window decorations. It's great for signage. We had a bridal shower and it made the sweetest name place cards.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
We use a cricut at GTP, also. It lives right on the side of our fitting table. Andy uses it mostly to cut custom patterns and wording for his ARL Design line of frames, but it is used for a variety of projects. I'd like to start using it to cut vinyl for displays, instead of rolling out the 48 inch wide old one.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
We use a cricut at GTP, also. It lives right on the side of our fitting table. Andy uses it mostly to cut custom patterns and wording for his ARL Design line of frames, but it is used for a variety of projects. I'd like to start using it to cut vinyl for displays, instead of rolling out the 48 inch wide old one.
Which model do you have? Maeve has decided she wants the Cricut. I might look into one for me as well

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Ours is the "Cricut Maker"

Springlock by Craft Inc

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I've viewed these things faintly from afar. What can we framer's use these for?

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Register for the picture framer's grumble
I think that there was supposed to a class in this at Framecon 2020. I hope that we will see the same class at Framecon 2022, if it happens.
It sure does sound like it's going to happen in 2022! :)

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202