Creative Matting

Connie

Grumbler in Training
From
Minnesota
Ok, I am working on the V Groove and I am having pretty good luck. But, I need to find more ways of making creative and different mats. I have put my name in for a class at a local moulding store, but have not heard back for quite awhile. Does anyone have tips on books, videos, or classes to make mats? I would like to be able to offer more and learn more since I just started this in November. I don't even know what things are out there!! I'd appreciate any help! Thanks.

Steven6095

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Nicholasville, KY
Keep looking around here for ideas
Some of these people put up designs that will blow your mind.

Also, Vivian Kestler has a book on creative matting. Even though I have been doing this for a while I still use it now and then as a reference.

jini

True Grumbler
From
Woodstock, Georgia
There are many mat designs that you can find in books. The fun way is just to play around and be creative. I once did a mat using v-grooves to create a football field in green suade for a background of a football shadow box. My advive is to keep a jurnal of ideas, no never know when you might think up a winner.

John Ranes II CPF GCF

From
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Connie,

There are a number of books available through the PPFA bookstore, and courses at the major trade shows each year.

The next major show is the Decor Expo Atlanta show in September, where I will be teaching a full day mat cutting class...

Decor Art & Framing School - Mat Cutting

Register online or phone Decor for more information.

Regards,

John

Matoaka

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
From
Albuquerque, NM
Check out fabric-wrapped mats. They can be beautiful!! And you can pick up remnants from most fabric stores. And try wrapping them over 1 or 2 pieces of foam board for a real dramatic effect.

Have fun! Play away!!

Terry Hart cpf

From
Excelsior, MN
Check the archives for Bogframe shamless selfseving ad for his book and ofr video I think. Maybe that will help (Bogframe anyway)

osgood

Resource Provider
From
No fixed address, Australia.
Business
Full time grey nomad traveling Oz!
Connie,

At the Sydney trade show I bought a DVD called "Mat Cutting & Decoration" by Vivian Kistler and I can recommend it.

If you can't find it easily contact Vivian and I'm sure she will help you locate one!

Mick11

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
From
East Yorkshire. UK
I have all Vivians current books among a host of others for reference.
IMHO these are the best books on framing currently avaliable.Easy to read and understand.

Bogframe

From
Brooklyn, NY USA, Right Near Coney Island, The Bro
Originally posted by Terry Hart cpf:
Check the archives for Bogframe shamless selfseving ad for his book and ofr video I think. Maybe that will help (Bogframe anyway)
Shamless...I like that! True, it IS shamless. My method for less stressful v-groove designs IS available both in hard copy and on CD (in both Illustrator and PDF formats). For the piddling price of just $15.00 + $1.55 for postage, you can learn to do more that 10 different designs for fun and profit. Give it a shot, and if you get confused, I'm always here to help!

PS. Connie, I hope you've gotten your copy by now and are increading your prfit margin!

Terry Hart cpf

From
Excelsior, MN
Hey Seth, thought it was an accurate quote. Glad Connie contacted you. Enjoyed your articles in the PFM.

Bogframe

From
Brooklyn, NY USA, Right Near Coney Island, The Bro
Connie decided to go for it too! Connie, give me your e-mail address and I'll send you a picture of what a finished mat with one of the designs looks like! I'd post one, but I don't know how to use my new isp's storage space yet!