CPF Designation.....

treeves

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
What do you think about after a certain age or time period, that you would be grandfathered in with your CPF designation, and not have to go to the recertification course in order to keep it. </font>
  • Most of us who stay in the industry for a long length of time, read and study all the latest in technology and framing techniques anyway. We subscribe to several framing periodicals, as well as belonging to the PPFA, and attend a major show at least once a year or more.

The last recertification course I took was fun, but a waste of my time, absolutely should have been in another class, or saving time and money for show, and new purchases.

I have been in the gift, home accessory, picture framing business for 30 years, I think its just makes sense to give us a break say at 60 or 62 and say, well done and enjoy the rest of whatever working life you may have spending it anyway that you feel is the most rewarding, and beneficial for yourself, business, :rolleyes: and family.

Just a thinking, or maybe its already intact and I just didn't know it, anyway breaks over, and back to the good life..
    kaffeetrinker_2.gif
    </font>

I got my CPF about 18 years ago, and mine is grandfathered. I don't know exactly when they started requiring re-cert to keep current, but it's an excellent idea for anyone who got their CPF after I did. :D

The fact that you think you can be grandfathered reinforces the point to me that it may not even be worth having. Do customers truely look for the Certified Professional Framer seal. I don't think so... they look at your work and judge your ability from that. Does an impressive piece of work mean you know it all... no, but in my mind neither does certification. Experience and knowledge is the key of course along with personal ethics. Don't get me wrong I think there is a personal value in certification if you through the process gain knowledge. Does the certification actually provide you with a monetary return from a customer standpoint... I don't believe so.

If as you say:
"Most of us who stay in the industry for a long length of time, read and study all the latest in technology and framing techniques anyway. We subscribe to several framing periodicals, as well as belonging to the PPFA, and attend a major show at least once a year or more.

The last recertification course I took was fun, but a waste of my time, absolutely should have been in another class, or saving time and money for show, and new purchases"

Tell me what then you saw as the benefit of certification up to this point. I'd be interested in knowing that if in the end there truly are any. To me it's all about return on your investment. Most of us are self taught and do quite a bit of research before attempting anything new and that is "dedication to the craft" which in my opionion is more important than certification.

I took the practice test on the CPF website just to see what it was about. If those are the type of exam questions that are going to make me a better framer then I question whether or not the whole thing isn't just a cash grab for some lucky sole.

I haven't ever had a framing customer ask if I have a college degree, but that doesn't mean it was a bad idea to get one.

The CPF exam was way cheaper, too.

If I were in a strange part of the world (say, North Carolina) and looking for a framer, a CPF designation would be just one of many things I'd be looking for.

Unless you are a framer looking for a framer... how are you going to know there is such thing as a CPF... which is my point exactly.

I have to agree with Boxer1 on this one. I think the CPF is a good thing but not a must.

I have never been asked if I have my CPF and if I put up a certificate in my shop, I would have to explain to customers what it means.

I wish the world was more up to date and educated about framing but the sad reality of it is that most people just want their picture framed by someone that they can see their work on display. That means more in the real world than the CPF cerificate.

I want to get mine just for me, but I
haven't been able to justify spending the money on the study materials. There are so many other things I need to spend my money on, like a new printer to save money on my newsletter.
Things that bring in money.
If the public was more informed, I would see the need ,but as it is, only framers know what it is. :rolleyes:

Maybe in the future of framing and in advertising it will be talked about more but for now it seems like such a luxury for me.

If anybody has a cheaper way of getting it, let me know and I will be the first in line.

Jennifer

Originally posted by treeves:

Most of us who stay in the industry for a long length of time, read and study all the latest in technology and framing techniques anyway. We subscribe to several framing periodicals, as well as belonging to the PPFA, and attend a major show at least once a year or more.
I think your statement above is up for debate. Just because you keep yourself current and up to date I think you would be surprised what is happening in other shops. Have you gone looking at other peoples shops? I did a few years ago when I was looking for ideas for my ideal frameshop. I was amazed at what stagnant, dusty out of date business's I found. It was eye opening for me. Most shops I had visited were not in any state of flux at all, more like a dead stop. As I see it you have to be always changing and growing to stay viable. The recertification forces those who are certified to stay up to date with new techniques and materials so the CPF with recert has actually got more substance behind it even if it is a pain in the butt to do.......

I plan on getting my CPF in the next year or so. I just want to do it for my own benefit, so I know I am up to speed with the industry. Even if it doesn't matter to my cusotmers that isn't the point, it matters to me and my business to know I am on the right path. If the CPF designation ever took hold of the industry and we were required to be certified to ply our trade it would be interesting to see how the industry was forced to shape up.....

The whole point of the recert. requirement is that CPF's would have to stay current with changes in the field. New materials, challenges and methods come along all the time. Too often we fall into the trap of thinking that we know what we're ding and don't need to learn more. I'm glad my doctor and tax preparer don't think that way.

I took my second recert. course last May. There wasn't anything in it that was totally new to me, but I went away with at least a couple new ideas or things that I hadn't thought of in a while. Just one new thing would have made it worth my time and money.

Being a CPF for only 3 years and a framer for 25, I can say its not a matter of what the customer sees or thinks,but more a matter of what you think is important.
I personally don't know why I waited so long other than procrastination and convincing myself I didn't need it.
Now I feel differently. It validates that which is important to you, namely the work you do for a living (however meager!).If this means recertifying every 5 or 10 years to show we are staying informed then stay certified. If staying certified isn't important to you then don't do it.
But don't think you should be "grandfathered in" as there are tons of new techniques, materials,knowledge and ideas that spring up each year which we should be tested on. It doesn't give a whole lot of credibility to the certificate if we're telling old (I really mean,wise)framers " hey,you put in your time-don't bother, you're grandfathered in".
It reminds me of the whole tenure vs. performance for pay that teachers go through. I know I'ld rather have my child learning from a performance-based teacher rather than a tenured, possibly very tired, teacher.
99 out of 100 clients you have aren't going to give a whit about your CPF, you're the one who should care about it and maintain it.

Like I said "dedication to the craft" is the key. Certified or Not. I'm sure I could find a CPF stickered shop that I wouldn't frame a bubble gum wrapper at just as easily as I could find one without. Just as I'm sure we all know a licensed mechanic we wouldn't let touch a pedal car. Does a CPF put you through a lengthy practicum? No it doesn't. You study and write an exam. It's kind of like doing the written for your drivers license and then skipping the road test and having them give you the license. If it truly is supposed to mean something then I agree with you puttyboy, grandfathering just undermines the system. If you need the certification to prove to yourself that you are keeping up with the Jone's then I suppose that's the way to go. On the other hand I think there are plenty of skilled craftsman out there that through there own dedication have done the industry proud sans certification and to what end would a CPF have improved their situation?

In some industries having a particular certification is the only way you may do or even bid on a specialized job. When I was in the floor covering business and say I wanted to do work in a hospital operating room or a high-tech computer chip maker I would need special certification for my installers.

Unless I am mistaken I cannot think of a framing job that I would be kept out of because I am not a CPF....It's just something to make you feel better about your craft....customers could care less.

I've never heard anyone suggest that a CPF is essential for success or credibility in this industry, so I've never really understood the hostility toward it from people who don't have it and don't want it.

if I put up a certificate in my shop, I would have to explain to customers what it means.
And that's exactly what we do. If CPFs don't educate their own customers, who's going to do it? Do you think that the PPFA can do it for $95/year?

The study materials ARE expensive, but many PPFA chapters have lending libraries. Even if you buy the books, they will be a valuable asset to your business, whether you take the test or not.

When I went to the Decor Expo in Atlanta, I bought only one piece of equipment but I bought as many framing books as FramerGuy could carry.
thumbsup.gif

I certainly don't have any hostility towards it... I'm just self centered
shutup.gif
and always need to know what's in for me. That said... what do they give me in return for the fee that I don't already have?

I certainly can't say if it would improve anyones situation, and let me state that I was one of those skilled craftsman that dedicated themselves to our craft without certification.I didn't get certified to prove anything to myself, I got it to validate an accumulation of skill and knowledge that I gained thru years of framing. Nothing more. I don't have it hanging anywhere, in fact it sits in a drawer,coffee stained and all.
Am I proud to have it? Yes.
Does it make me a better framer? Absolutely.........................................not.
But don't dilute its significance to those who have taken it by allowing one to be "grandfathered in" for the rest of their working life, its a bit more important than that.

Originally posted by boxer1:

That said... what do they give me in return for the fee that I don't already have?
A piece of paper and lighter wallet if you go to Wisconsin for it.

A piece of paper and lighter wallet if you go to Wisconsin for it.
Oh, quitcherwhining.

You got a good meal, made some new friends, saw a good program by Greg What's-His-Name and got to enjoy the warm hospitality of our fair city while your vehicle was being repaired.

And you got that piece of paper.

Ron and Emibub have done just fine so far. I also agree with the concept that The certification doesn't make you any better than some who aren't certified. However it does show a certifiable will to learn and stay current in all the skills that good framers should know. I disagree with the placeing it in a draw and not displaying it.

But mostly I disagree with these ideas; First; that customers would need to ask what it was. Yep! you're right but then do all your customers come in to your shop and KNOW all about mat quality ,differances in types of glazzing ,what goes on inside the frame that most don't even see? I'll bet the answer was NO to most of those and few I didn't mention. Then how do they learn what is in the best interst of their work? They Ask a qualified framer.Just as this is how the Framer learns, he is taught by a qualified instructor .Which can be wittnessed to by ( but not limited to[ No one here or on HH will tell you that or has] ) a CPF certificate which can start those inquiring minds to ask those other questions which you should be volunteering and will be after you gain this and any other knowledge.

As to how can they know where to look for a CPF; Have you visited the PPFA's websight ? If so or even if not, I think you will find a "Find A Framer" segment and on it will be listed those members who have attained the CPF status.

As to why you should recertifie ? You must be one of the people that started someone useing a new sign off for( NO ONE can know everything according to Rebecca). This is despite the earnest effort that some use while trying . I read in "The Seven Habits of Highly Sucessful People" that INTERdependance is the most effective form of attaining sucess. By this they are saying if you think you know it all and don't need anyone else you are at a SERIOUS disadvatage to those who Network with others who inturn supply what they are lacking in (Two Heads are better than One. Not to mention a whole association).

As to grandfathering, as Ron has already pointed out there is a provision for that already it just isn't tailored to suit your individual needs. It was instituted before the recertification program was implimented. Hence it was deemed unfair to require those who didn't realize that more/contiued trianning would be avilable to meet requirements they didn't agree to.

However if you wish to continue with your CERTIFICATION of your continued trainning and knowledge and wish to display Certificate atesting to that so that you can also reach the level of Certification now known as MCPF or Master Certified Picture Framer you will have to have attened a recertification program within the last 4 years of your MCPF Qualifeing exam ,and (oh yes)a practicle examination of your hand craft in actual framing. I think that may just be what may be known as a "practicum" .Even though it isn't done on sight I can gaurantee it is through .If you need proof ask Jim Miller, Ellen Of Howards who are members in good standing here on TFG and PPFA as well as HH,and since you are a PPFA memebr you could and should also ask Merrill Grayson ( the HH moderator/owner and Cert. Board memeber) and any of the 17 or so who have achived it thus far( Excuse me. I am sure there are more now that Orlando is over I just don't know their names as yet) on HH ,of which FORUM you might get even better information than I can furnish.

By the way IMHO if you can attend a comprehensive seminar like the recertification class and not gain some useable knowledge you must be the most well versed FRAMER in the industry. I say this because even the instructors of this program attend them to learn what may have illuded them.( again ask any of the above mentioned Framer/Instructors some of whom serve on the Board of reccertification) But as FramerDave and some others have said everyone should learn something everytime they attend these classes or any other. In fact that must be why you and all those others that you refered to do when you said "Most of us who stay in the industry for a long length of time, read and study all the latest in technology and framing techniques anyway. We subscribe to several framing periodicals, as well as belonging to the PPFA, and attend a major show at least once a year or more". Otherwise why would you bother? Oh an incidetally I attened the recert. program the last Vegas PPFA show I attened .And Yes I was one of those who was GRANDFATHER also like Ron. And I can say I did learn some things I didn't learn previously and this year is the firat year in my 18 years of framing that I haven't attended at least ONE Show and sometimes TWO .I also have been an very active memeber in My Local PPFA Chapter and still attend Classes when they are given by them. I also look forward to attaining mt MCPF which CERTIFICATE will hang proudly on my shop wall as my CPF has since 1988. I also hope the cert. board will offer news slicks as they did when anyone attained the CPF ,so I can inform all who read my local News papers. So they can know my CPF ® and MCPF ® have true meaning as opposed to the knock off cpf s that some BB display (I guess Immataion is still the highest form of Flattery, but i wonder why they go through the troble to do so when it means nothing as you have said?).
(ending Rant and decending my soap box)
Charles BUDDY Drago CPF ®
dba Needles and Knots
Chalmette,Louisiana 70043
504-277-3453

[ 02-24-2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: BUDDY ]

Sorry for some confusion, I'm talking about the end of your framing career in which it is now getting difficult to get to all the meetings, and your slacking off due to the fact you have no choice, you just can't get up go like you used to.

My point is that you have earned your designation through the years, and now at a ripe old age, it should not be taken away from you.
To take away the designation because you could not go to a 3 hour lecture, once in 4 years is a little shallow thinking to me, and if its that important, why are so many grandfathered in already?

You don't take a doctor's degree away from him when he retires or has to stop being a full time Doctor. He's still a Doctor, and by golly I'm still a certified picture framer even if I can't get to Atlanta and take that three hour course every 4 years now....I've gotten more info off the grumble than most courses I've taken...

We're talking quittin' time at the frame shop, the end, not the beginning, middle, but when your getting ready to wind it up, you should not be stripped of your designation because of age, surely some reward or lasting recognition should be kept, but then maybe, your name should be stripped from the pages of the CPF's, especially if it was never that important to begin with, never to be heard from again, but don't think so.

It's something I am very proud of, and I just realized if my health fails to the point that I can't go and do as before, I will lose a prized possesion, one worked hard for over a life time, but its for sure, this is not an overriding issue in my life, just a slight annoyance if in fact, I have to give it up........but then again maybe that's just life...Good Luck to all CPF's and hopefully it will continue to get better as time goes by, maybe a internet course would suffice, or you keep your designation, your just not up to date, you would not have any updated certificates on your wall......

You don't take a doctor's degree away from him when he retires or has to stop being a full time Doctor. .....
A medical school graduate must be licensed by the state in which he practices, and obtains that license by examination. He must be recertified every few years to continue to hold his medical license.

PPFA offers Tele-ed recertification; no need to travel.

"To take away the designation because you could not go to a 3 hour lecture, once in 4 years is a little shallow thinking to me, and if its that important, why are so many grandfathered in already?"

Can you really call it recertification if all you need to do is stay awake during a 3 hour lecture every four years anyway? I wouldn't say it's shallow thinking. I'd say it sounds more like savy business sense on their part.

• You may be right boxer1, I really took the course as most have, to be a better, more informed professional. I think the program would be better if you could choose what courses you took in order to be recertified.

Most of my last class was taken up on cutting a cope shape mat, interesting, but have never had occasion to cut this particular mat. I would have been must better served if I could have chose a course in an area that I felt inept, or needed more expertise.....again its been awhile since I took the class, and to be fair, it more than likely is much better now.....
    thumbsup.gif

Treeves, I know my father would agree with you 100%.

He is outraged that they recently renewed his driver's license for only eight years. He figures, since he has been driving for 84 years, he has proven his driving ability and shouldn't have to go back, when he turns 105, to take a vision test.

Some of you will think I'm making that up.

We find the designation quit useful.

About once a month we get a call from a "framer" looking for a job.

Are you a "CPF"?

What's that?

Certified Picture Framer.

Oh, yea, I took that weekend corse where I was working.....

No. A CPF as tested and certified by the PPFA.

What's that?

<click> :D

Originally posted by J Phipps TN:
I haven't been able to justify spending the money on the study materials.
All the more reason to join the KY/TN Chapter, Jennifer. We have a lending library just waiting for someone to use.

Come to our meeting on March 29th at Rechenbachs in Knoxville. Sandy Haas will be giving a class on matting that I hear has been a real money maker for everyone who's utilized it. I'm really looking forward to it.

Betty

Ok, Betty, you have reminded me of a question I have often pondered - what have I missed? Why is there no PPFA chapter in Atlanta or a nearby area? By nearby, I mean I don't need to rent a hotel room to attend the meeting. Or is this the norm, too?

Is a PPFA chapter like a Cub Scout troop- you get enough interest and a place to hold the meetings and you can start one?

Kathy, how long did it take to get your Rocky Mtn. chapter going? If you have covered this thoroughly, plz. throw me a bone and tell me so. I will gladly search.

At the trade show last Sept., I was given Jerry V.'s name as the local chapter contact. Surely there would be enough interest to have another one in the southeast? No offense, Jerry.

teeves I am sorry for the long winded reply. However I am even more confused with your comments now then before.

Please explain to me if you are speaking about the END of your carrer as a framer and you are PROUD of your Certification ,why would you be any less proud even if the PPFA didn't see fit to update your designation for failure to continue with the recert. program .I say this inlight of your saying many things that semed to indicate that you felt that the CPF should be of Monetary value to you .

Since you seem to be speaking about not Framing any longer and hence you will no longer make a living at it ,why should you be any less proud of the day you DID certify?

The fact that PPFA doesn't upgrade your certification doesn't take one thing away from your ability to be PROUD of what you did. I will be very proud of my CPF and all the skills I learned LONG after 4 years from now ( at which time I will be 62) But when I stop persueing Framing for pay it won't matter in the least if MY PPFA CPF isn't renewed ( not unlike what you said you felt it should do for you) .But NO ONE can take away what you are proud of,nor will PPFA or anyone else want to.

I may be wrong but I think if you attend a university and then take along vacation from your studies ,you may find that not all your credits are still accepted by what ever University you then enroll in, since concepts change and new things are added as well as you just forget somethings, when you decide to return to school. But what you did learn is no less a thing to be PROUD of. However it may not entitle you to a diploma ,NO MATTER how OLD you are and how much ofan accomplishment returning is.So what am I misunderstanding?
BUDDY

Hi GumboGirl,
I personally started making some noise about wanting a chapter almost 2 years ago. It took a while to come to fruition because the PPFA was in the midst of adjusting to all the merger changes. But meanwhile several other people expressed an interest in helping get it off the ground and before you knew it we had a board in place. We started pursuing it approx 7 months ago and it took us probably three months beyond that to be approved.

I think before the merger it was easier to get a chapter going. All it took was as little as 5 people wanting a chapter and then you spun around three times and poof! you were a chapter. As I know it now they want at least 100 members in an area to become a chapter. Luckily we were in a big enough territory to qualify for our own chapter.

I was very disappointed to discover we no longer had a local chapter when I joined. I know a lot of big cities no longer have chapters. Maybe Atlanta is big enough to start one of it's own. You should contact the PPFA. I'd suggest Sally McCusker to start, her number is (800) 762-9287. Tell her you are interested and see what they have to offer. Also, ask around with your local framers, maybe others are interested in starting one too. The original chapter here collapsed due to a lack of interest. But, there are so many new business's here we are getting lots of enthusiasm, people see the advantage to having a local chapter of our own.

It has already become a rewarding experience for us here in Colorado. I wish you well in starting your own too.

maybe a internet course would suffice,
treeves,
They do offer Tele-ed for recertification, which will probably be my way of doing it this year, unless Poppa really will do it for one person.

We display the CPF logo in our Yellow Page ads.

The only time I recall being asked about it was when some guy called who was looking for some pricing info. At the end of the conversation he said something like, “What exactly is a <u>certified </u>picture framer? Is that like a registered cab driver? Ha, ha, ha!” You could hear the smirk and sarcasm in his voice.

The only reply I could think on such short notice was, “No sir! It means that I know what materials to use to protect your art and am less likely to screw up your art than someone who isn’t”. I was really annoyed. It bothered me all day.

No one else has ever asked. I am grandfathered, but won’t voluntarily re-certify. CPF has no value except to me … that, and to take up space in the phone book ad.

I'd like to comment, having served the full term on PPFA's Certification board. During those years I might have heard every accolade and criticism ever conceived of the program. My term as Chairman ended in Orlando this week. Congratulations to the new Certification Board Chair, Susan Capps, MCPF, GCF.

The CPF designation is proof that the candidate has learned what the program teaches. That is all, and that is enough. The written exam has a failure rate of about 40%, evidence that most framers do not automatically acquire the CPF's knowledge with shop experience.

On the contrary, self-taught framers and those who learned from self-taught framers are seldom as well-informed as they think they are. To put it suscinctly, they don't realize how much they don't know. But that doesn't mean they are disfunctional or deficient as general-purpose framers. It only means they are not as preservation-knowledgeable as CPFs.

The CPF program wasn't developed for promotional purposes. It has always been for framers who want to improve their knowledge. Indeed, CPFs are proven more knowledgeable than average, regardless of how effectively they put their knowledge to work, and consumers who seek credentials are attracted to CPFs for good reason.

The CPF program is a learning platform; it provides a learning plan. Earning the designation is not a one time goal. True to that purpose, the required recertification classes help CPFs keep their learning up to date.

The MCPF program is the next step in qualification, the most demanding hands-on exam in the industry. It requires not only thorough knowledge of preservation framing methods and materials, but advanced manual skills, as well.

To qualify, a candidate must be a currently-recertified CPF. For those of us who were "grandfathered" CPFs, that means we have to take the recertification class and then keep taking it to maintain our MCPF status -- we're no longer "grandfathered". In addition, MCPFs have to attend three PPFA-approved MCPF Maintenence classes every four years.

So, that's four required classes every four years, to maintain the MCPF designation.

PPFA's certification programs aren't for everyone, but those who seek proof of their excellence in framing knowledge & skills know where to get it. That doesn't make them better people, but it does make them better framers.

Yes. It would be part of the mix in the search for a new employee as well.

I'd be especially impressed if somebody did it on their own and at their own expense.

Originally posted by framanista:
Is there anyone who would pay an employee more because they had a CPF?
I do.

All of my employees have been encouraged to go for certification. The company provides all study materials and pays for the exam -- travel cost is their own. Same for Recertification.

Buddy, thanks for the comments, must have been my grumble day yesterday, but it was great reading all the messages, and the comments have me on a high today, and I expect to stay their for a while. I think I was feeling a little old and sad yesterday, I've had a ball the past 30 years, and the fact that I am beginning to feel the proverbial time clock beginning to tick louder at times, and the realization that all good things will come to an end one day, got me a little down.

All the comments have reinvigorated me and I have ever intention of updating my CPF, learning and discovering new things, new ways of doing old things better, is one of the spices of life, and a few of the things that seemed to bother me about the CPF program, seem very insignificant to day.

The program is exceptional, and I in no way intended my comments to reflect on the program itself. I hope in time that a chapter of the PPFA will be available in the B'ham area. Anyone interested, please contact me.

thanks again for all the post, grumblers are the best on the net.......

Originally posted by jvandy57:
unless Poppa really will do it for one person.
He said he would, Jerry. And you know him, good for his word!

Bet

treeves ;
I senceraly hope that i did give you a better out look on the Certification programs. but even if i didn't for GOD sake don't think of yourself as over the hill at 60 or even 62.they are both too close to my age and I haven't accomplished nearly anything I hope too.

But if you really want to find a chapter (until you can start your own) the one I belong to the "Deep South Chapter" is just next door and if the policies of the PPFA are the same as when I was a Chapter president ,anyone in a non-organized area can asked to be included in the nearest one to them.try contacting the PPFA HQ and then contact Kay Norwood In Metaire ,La. she is the current Pres.

I don't know what part of B'hama Hueytown is located in but if it's with in your traveling distance our chapter has had a few nice seminars that you could have enrolled in and they have a lending library also. By the way that Guy fred horton that Bob mentioned when speaking about Orlando is a member and past pres. also.along with some other nice people.

Also This is one darn good Forum but I don't recall seeing you on HH.So say hello over there also and you'll probaly get much better incentives then i have. However as anyone on TFG can tell you ,I look more at topics then names so I may have missed your HH post.LOL.

BUDDY

Ron, My Mon is 84, excellent shape, and probalbly a better driver than most I see on the highway, we advise her not to drive, because we do not want some nut who has a license to drive, but obviously doesn't know how to, to run over her.........

Y'all have definitely reinforced my decision to have sought out a CPF to train under and to work toward my own CPF certification. IMHO, I feel that certification programs strengthen a profession and provide standards for the industry. I know I "don't know what I don't know" and this is one way for me to make sure I cover all the bases and gain exposure to areas I might not encounter in the frame shop where I work.

Now, about a PPFA chapter in this area....I would whole heartedly support a chapter here in either Atlanta or Birmingham. I was really surprised to see there wasn't one in Atlanta (what's up with that?). Anyway, if anyone is taking names for prospective chapter members, please add me to list. I am ready, willing, and usually able........

I learned a great deal taking the CPF test several years ago and I just completed the MCPF, and again, I learned a great deal. When you have to think about certain points and consider your answer or your actions, it is instructive. I recommend taking both tests, not for customers, though I am going to do a press release promoting my new certification, but rather for myself, even if just to prove I could do it,

Over the years I have learned from the people in our PPFA chapter, been helped by members in many ways, gained some valuable friendships and have been willing to serve as an officers over and over just so I can have a local chapter. It's one of the best benefits I as a framer get from my PPFA membership.

The PPFA convention in Orlando was great and well worth attending. It was fun, good food, lots of camaraderie and a great chance to learn even more. I sound a bit like a cheerleader, but truly believe I am a better framer because of the PPFA.

If you can, go to the WCAF show in Vegas, hosted by PFM magazine, DECOR Expo in Atlanta hosted by DECOR magazine but don’t forget your professional association convention once a year.

MCPF Now.

Kathy,
Thanks for the info. and answering my question. I find it hard to believe there was never an Atl chapter, I suspect there was one once in this area that floundered, or became stagnant? Not sure what happens when the interest wanes, if it can be revived or we start from scratch.

Anyway, I know of several people that are interested in starting a chapter here in Atl; don't know if I know 100.. I also know I have some work to do away from this forum re: this matter!

Just wanted to say thanks, and sorry for hijacking this thread a bit. I really do know better.

Look call it for what is is, money for the PPFA, well I guess they need the CASH.

I think taking any PPFA approved course once every three years should be all that is needed to maintain the CPF designation and no test should be required. This should happen at the chapter level also.

framer

Framer; actually it is less stringent than you proposed. The only requirement is that you recertifie at an approved seminar (And mine was chocked full of Updated inforamtion and very extensive but pleasant. I'm not sure if it can be done a a chapter ,but it can be done on a conferance call on the phone as well as the National Trade Show) . There never was a retesting required. The only other exam ,and a more rigorus one at that ,is the MCPF .But the recert. being done at least with in the last 4 years is the PRERECQUISATE for taking the MCPF.
BUDDY

In answer to all the PPFA Chapter questions that have arisen i thought I post the folowing:

PPFA Chapter Directory
View the PPFA calendar including chapter events

PPFA's local chapters, located throughout the United States and Canada, are the backbone of the association. Through these local chapters, you can keep abreast of the latest trends, techniques and products in the industry, participate in framing competitions, network with other area framers and gallery owners and attend local trade shows, social events and business meetings.

Members of the national PPFA are automatically members of their local chapter. Use this chapter directory to find the chapter closest to you, call the chapter president and get involved today! If there is not a chapter currently listed in your area, please know that we are constantly working on expanding our chapter program.

1 Canada West
(Zips S0A-T9Z)
President
George Alvarez, CPF®
Framestudio
18711-80 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5T 5B3
Canada
Bus: (780) 481-0922
Bus Fax: (780) 481-6602
E-mail: canadawestppfa@compusmart.ab.ca 2 Central Texas Chapter
(Zips 76500-76599, 78000-78799)
President
Adela Davis, CPF
M.D. Sales
887-C Landa Street
New Braunfels, TX 78130-6115
Bus: (830) 629-4802
Bus Fax: (830) 629-1599
E-mail: mad@nbtx.com 3 Damron C. Owen
Carolinas Chapter
(Zips 27000-29999)
President
Barbara Froelich, CPF
Mobley’s Framing & Gallery
6635 Falls of Neuse Road
Raleigh, NC 27615-6816
Bus: (919) 847-6347
Bus Fax: (919) 676-9298
E-mail: mobleysframing@earthlink.net
4 Deep South
(Zips 38600-39799, 70000-71499)
President
Marianne Kay Norwood
Cannon Framing
4941A West Napoleon Ave
Metairie, LA 70001-2249
Bus: (504) 455-0010
Bus Fax: (504) 466-5520
E-mail: cannonframing@aol.com 5 Greater Los Angeles Chapter
(Zips 90001-91900, 92315-92337,92600-92606,
92612-92628, 92637-92650, 92658-92663, 92680-92685,
92701-92876, 92885-92887, 93001-93399, 93510,
93534-93536, 93550-93551, 93561)
President
Eugene Ausili, CPF
The Picture Show
23360 Valencia Blvd, Ste G
Valencia, CA 91355-1734
Bus: (661) 254-0510
Bus Fax: (661) 254-1187
E-mail: cpffrmr@yahoo.com 6 Indiana
(Zips 46000-47999)
President
John Potts
The Art Collection
223 W. Washington Street
Lebanon, IN 46052
Bus: (765) 482-2111
E-mail: jpframer@in-motion.net
7 Kentucky/Tennessee Chapter
(Zips 37000-38599, 40000-42799)
President
Robin Gentry, CPF
B & J Gallery
524 Nellums Avenue
Bowling Green KY 42103-1632
Bus: (270) 842-3801
Bus Fax: (270) 842-0289
E-mail: bandjgallery@earthlink.net 8 National Capital
(Zips 17000-17499, 20000-24599)
President
Ellen Collins, MCPF
Howard’s Art Supplies & Frames
1256 Dual Highway
Hagerstown, MD 21740-5923
Bus: (301) 733-2722
Bus Fax: (301) 791-1752
E-mail: howardsart@aol.com 9 New England
(Zips 01000-06999)
President
David Smith, CPF
Winchester Art & Frame
755 Main Street
Winchester, MA 01890-1905
Bus: (781) 721-1447
Bus Fax: (781) 729-0375
E-mail: winart755@aol.com

10 New Jersey
(Zips 07000-08999,17500-17699, 18000-18199, 18900-19499, 19700-19999)
President
Robert Bottge
Framed Image
574 Newark Pompton Tpke.
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
Bus: (973) 616-0414
Bus Fax: (973) 616-0418
E-mail: njppfa@hotmail.com
Web Site: www.njppfa.com 11 North Texas Chapter
(Zips 73000-73199, 73400-73699, 74400-74599,
74700-74899, 75000-76499,
76600-76799, 79500-79699)
President
James Cross
Cross Gallery
4000 North Macarthur Blvd, Ste 128
Irving, TX 75038-6413
Bus: (972) 717-1366
Bus Fax: (972) 717-8114
E-mail: jim@crossgallery.us 12 Northern Ohio
(ZIP codes 43000-43899, 44000-44399, 44600-45899)
Stephanie J. Mejean, CPF
I've Been Framed,
1300 Christmas Seal Dr. NW,
Canton, OH 44709
Bus: (330) 452-7337
E-mail: ivebeenframed@neo.rr.com
13 Northern Rockies
(Zips 58500-58899, 59000-59999, 82000-83899, 99000-99499)
President
Derek Vandeberg, CPF
Frame of Reference
565 Electric Avenue
PO Box 1020
Bigfork, MT 59911
Bus: (406) 837-7329
Bus Fax: (406) 837-2340
E-mail: frameref@digisys.net
Web Site: www.nrcframe.com 14 Heartland Chapter
(Zips 50000-52899, 60000-61799)
President
Ron Mason, CPF
Ron Mason's Gallery One
705 Highway One West
Iowa City, IA 52246
Bus: (319) 351-8468
Bus Fax: (319) 351-9778
E-mail: rframer@aol.com 15 Sacramento Valley Chapter
(Zips 89406-89706, 94000-95199,
95207-96199)
President
Carl Anderson, CPF
Richard’s Custom Framing &
The Andersons Gallery
1323 J Street
Modesto, CA 95354-0924
Bus: (209) 579-9913
Bus Fax: (209) 579-9914
E-mail: frameart@inreach.com
16 San Diego
(Zips 91901-92292, 92501-92596, 92607-92610, 92629-92630, 92651-92657, 92672-92679, 92688-92694, 92877-92880)
President
Gene Williams, CPF
Mitre & Bevel
68713 Perez Rd, Ste B17
Cathedral City, CA 92234-7222
Bus: (760) 202-2333
Bus Fax: (760) 202-1430
E-mail: williamsgene@hotmail.com
(Zips 61800-65899)
President
Joyce Michels, CPF
Michels Frames & Things
690 Missouri Avenue, Ste 21
Saint Robert, MO 65584-4764
Bus: (573) 336-8666
Bus Fax: (541) 389-8831
E-mail: framer@cablemo.net 18 Sunshine State Chapter
(Zips 32000-34999)
President
Frank Wouters, Sr., CPF
Frank’s Hang-Up
485 22nd Place
Vero Beach, FL 32960-6002
Bus: (772) 567-7692
Bus Fax: (772) 569-9104
E-mail: frankdw@fdn.com
19 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter
(Zips 77000-77999)
President
Jeff Vetter
Heritage Custom Framing & Accessories
1928 Fountain View Drive
Houston, TX 77057-3206
Bus: (713) 781-7772
Bus Fax: (713) 781-7748 20 Tri-State Chapter
(Zips 15000-16999, 17700-17899,
25000-26899, 43900-43999, 44400-44599)
President
Tom Hancock
Frame of Mind Custom Framing
20805 Campbell Road
Titusville, PA 16354-9607
Bus: (814) 827-0123
E-mail: frameofmind@csonline.net 21 Wisconsin Chapter
(Zips 53000-54999)
President
Jenny Erlandson
335 Framing
335 North Broadway
Green Bay, WI 54303-2701
Bus: (920) 965-5335
Bus Fax: (920) 965-0921
E-mail:jenny335@greenbaynet.com
22 Zia Chapter
(Zips 73200-73399, 73700-74399,
74600-74699, 74900-74999, 79000-79499, 79700-79999, 80000-81699, 84000-84799,
85000-85699, 87000-88499)
President
Suanne Derr
Frame-N-Art Gallery
10200 Corrales Road NW, Ste. D4
Albuquerque, NM 87114
Bus: (505) 898-0660
Bus Fax: (505) 898-0663
E-mail: suanne_derr@yahoo.com 23 Great Lakes
(Zips 48000-49799)
President
Ruth Yheulon
Framing Corner Inc.
27716 Seven Mile Road
Livonia, MI 48152-3861
Bus: (248) 777-1442
Bus Fax: (248) 777-1443
E-mail: ppfagreatlakes@aol.com

11-15-04
And if this isn't what you need or if there is more you want to know about how to start your own Chapter or if you can be includeed in a near by one contact the following;

Sally McCusker Director of Chapter Relations
Overall management of PPFA chapters and PPFA framing competitions. Overall management of Art Publishers Association (APA) activities.
Phone (800) 762-9287, FAX (517) 788-8371
E-mail smccusker@pmai.org
BUDDY

Originally posted by framer tg::
Look call it for what is is, money for the PPFA, well I guess they need the CASH...
That's right. The association has always been strapped, because it has never grown large enough to cover basic costs. You may know that PPFA was nearly bankrupt and would have dissolved a few years ago if PMA had not stepped in.

All of the education organizers -- not only PPFA -- will tell you that small educational venues are a losing proposition. Classes offered on a grand scale, such as the major trade shows, have a chance. And even then there's no assurance of breaking even. I believe most of the large shows still rely on revenue from exhibitors to pay the considerable costs for instructors' travel, printing of handouts, promotion, registration, A/V, and classrooms.

The PPFA-Orlando convention classes might have covered the costs to present them. By all accounts they were well attended.

But local chapter events and the certification programs certainly must be a long way from being profitable for PPFA.

Thanks, Buddy.

You are sweet to post all that info., knowing we should good and well be looking it up on our own, and doing that necessary legwork to get affiliated with a local chapter, or start one.

Careful, you are gonna spoil us, and we'll all just caravan down to your Metarie chapter and get all comfy.

I, for one, could still go for a crabmeat/cheese po boy (nekkid) and a Barq's

Originally posted by boxer1:

Can you really call it recertification if all you need to do is stay awake during a 3 hour lecture every four years anyway? I wouldn't say it's shallow thinking. I'd say it sounds more like savy business sense on their part.
Is that really all you have to do to be recertified? Sheesh! Is the initial certification process very difficult?

The re-certification class is a six hour class and covers new techniques and materials in the industry. It is meant to keep the framer up to date.

I really loved the first time I took it because again, I learned a lot. It would be a good class for anyone to take whether you need to or not. I was grandfathered in but wanted to take it anyway, have done several since and now teach it. When I teach it I like to have dialog with questions and discussion along with the lecture

The class is not a money maker, the fee barely covers expenses because the class is held for as few as 8 people. The info is updated as often as possible and you get a large binder with lots of info in it and some samples of things.

The CPF is a written exam that tests general framing knowledge. I think it's a three or four hour test and it's not a snap. The MCPF tests your skill level by the examination of four projects you frame and take with you,examiners tear them apart and they then watch you frame a piece. Trust me, it's a killer.

IMHO it not unlike a Booster shot. You get the full dose the firt time and the Doctors know you are ready for what ever comes your way ,all they need to do is give you a little bit more before the other First dose wares out to keep you ready for an additional amount of time.

What they did when I was there was to cover any advancement that may have occured and ask if you weren't clear about anything and maybe also cover any misconception some may have learned in the past.

The method employeed when I was there was they give you a Ring Binder full of notes and try to cover as much as they can in the alotted time .If you can't understand and tie things up they probaly will go on and speak with you after class. Now if you partyed TOO much the night before and couldn't stay awake ,you have no one but yourself to blame.LOL

After all this is what you said you were most interested in and they covered a lot when I was there so it should be very easy to stay alert and they do take breaks. I mean the least little post here or on HH can go on like the Energizer Bunny. So why should you be board ?( Unless you know everything already ,which as Rebecca has been quoted as saying "No ONE can do" anyway.

Just think of it as oneof those "everything you wanted to know ,but were afraid to ask classes"and it does that for just one fee.Sounds like one of the best deals in an educational seminar to me.
BUDDY

Back