Correct side for single bevel mat blade

garry611

Grumbler in Training
Business
Photography
I usually use double beveled blades in a manual mat cutter (48 inch C&H) but I have quite a few single bevel blades. I was unable to find any indication if there is a correct orientation for the blade. Should the non-beveled edge, meaning the straight edge, face the mat or should it face the dropout when inserted in the cutter head. It seems that the straight non-beveled edge would create a very straight cut but the beveled edge seems it would be doing the actual cut and that should face the mat board vs dropout. Any advice would be helpful.

Honed edge out.
Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 3.42.22 PM.png

C+H mat cutter which way to put in blades

Just posting for the sake of posting.

Resurecting this older thread.
I dug up a box of Fletcher 05-016 (.015 SuperKeen) single edge blades, and I have almost finished a box of FT#1200 double-bevel blades.
I am planning on ordering single bevel #1200SE's.
The honed bevel is much wider on the .015 than on the .012.
I know .012SE seems to be the blade of choice.
Is there a specific purpose for the .015, or should I just turf them?

Resurecting this older thread.
I dug up a box of Fletcher 05-016 (.015 SuperKeen) single edge blades, and I have almost finished a box of FT#1200 double-bevel blades.
I am planning on ordering single bevel #1200SE's.
The honed bevel is much wider on the .015 than on the .012.
I know .012SE seems to be the blade of choice.
Is there a specific purpose for the .015, or should I just turf them?
I believe the .015 is stiffer and works well for heavier matboard. The stiffness helps alleviate any hooking that might happen at the beginning of the cut too. For the last many years, all I use are the 015’s.

Back