Coroplast vs Marlite

Dancinbaer

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I landed a project doing a shadow box approximately 64" long x 30" high. The box will have 3 fishing rods, 2 with the reels attached, a fly lure box (with flies) and a muskie lure with box all in one area. Eleven 4x6 photos in windows in another area. So the objects are not that heavy. Will coroplast be strong enough for a backing material or should I stick with marlite?

Thanks in advance,

Denny,
The 6mm polyflute should be plenty strong for a support. If you have only 4mm, you might want to double up and run the flutes perpendicular to each other in the two panels. They can be tacked together with hot melt glue.

Denny,

I am confused. The only "Marlite" that I am aware of is a thin kitchen counter laminate that is similar to Formica.

Are you referring to "Masonite"??

There doesn't see to be anything in your list that would be of much heavy weight so I would say that the coroplast (tubes run vertically) should get the job done with no problem.

If you use a suede board or other facing over the coroplast, I would bond them together for added strength.

Framerguy

Edit:

That's what I get for drinking while typing!! (Hot tea, Wally)

Wally's idea is a good one and, if you have access to 10mm coroplast, that would be even better.

[ 12-17-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Framerguy ]

Thanks guys. Coroplast it is.

Are you referring to "Masonite"??
Framerguy, sorry, you are correct, I mean masonite, both start with M and end with ITE. I haven't finished my morning cup of green tea yet.

Sorry, Denny.

I got your email about this. I've never heard of Marlite and I didn't want to sound stupid.

Luckily, Framerguy has no such reservations. ;)

No problem Ron,
I just figured it's that time of year you probably get tons of email and busy framing my email got over looked.

Do you know anyone in our area that handles coroplast?

Acrylic sheet is a useful backing board for shadowbox frames, since it can be drilled, easily
and it can hold items of various weights, quite
steadily.

Hugh

Do you know anyone in our area that handles coroplast?
I wondered when that would come up.

The platics place you told me about says they carry it, but I haven't gotten any from them yet. I'm down to my last couple sheets from Vicki Schober.

Midland Plastics
2955 Ramada Way
Green Bay

888-281-2034

I talked to Jason in sales.

Let me know how that goes.

Ron,
After my last post with that question I thought of Midland Plastics and gave them a call. I talked to a Jim. All they carry is 4mm, which they are currently out of. But, he could get by friday from Milwaukee. So I ordered 2 sheets. A 4x8 sheet is $10.00.

If you ever need to order any, I could pick it up and run it down on a saturday. I go past Midland everyday.

I don't know exactly where you guys are located, but you may try Piedmont Plastics.
They've got locations all over (including Chicago) and I know that here in Charlotte I can pickup or they will ship.

LOTS of product (Foam, AF Foam, Gatorboard, Coroplast in all thicknesses) and great service.

Tony

Good Lord, Tony - you don't know where we are??

I'm about 30 miles from the home of the Green Bay Packers and Denny is a lot closer than that.

Do they play football in North Carolina?

No real football in NC, just college basketball. You two probably have a boat load of snow already. Too cold out that way.

d

Well I know where Wisconsin is....
Don't know how far from Chicago you are....

And yes, we do play football. Charlotte is the home of YOUR (my) NFC South Division Champion CAROLINA PANTHERS!

Tony

You two probably have a boat load of snow already
Actually that's about all we have is a boat load, a small boat at that. The grass and leaves I didn't get to rake are still showing in our yard. Only a couple inches of snow in spots. Even the tempuratures have stayed above zero. My kind of winter so far.

Back