• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

cord

Alexander

Grumbler
I prefer using cord as opposed to wire for hanging and after a busy summer I have almost run out. The thing is, here in Norway all our suppliers only have the wire and we usually have to order from Lion in the UK and that takes time (and is quite expensive to ship).
The question is, can I use some other type of cord? Any advice or tips on this?
Is there a substitute I could get that would be readily available until I get my usual shipment?

Framar

WOW Framer
Hmmm. I have seen pieces framed with cord from your side of the world and as I recall it is a white cotton braided type of cord. Maybe you could take a sample in to a hardware store or a sewing store or a craft store? Or ask someone who does upholstery would be able to help?

Why don't you like wire? I use the kind that is coated with a soft plastic and it is great!

CHolt

True Grumbler
Is Amazon an option for you? I found a bunch of options searching "kevlar cord 2mm". Lots of them are packaged for kite flyers, is there a kite shop in your area? A marine supplier might have what you're looking for.

Acorn Art Systems is the source for the Miracle Cord/Quick Clips hanging system <https://www.acornartsystems.com/product.cfm?product=7> They're in Washington (state). I have a spool here, but I use wire.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Use coated stainless steel wire in a couple of thicknesses, just to see you through until you can get your cord in the usual way.

PS you won't go back to cord :cool:

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Alexander

Grumbler
Nobody likes cord? 😀
The jobs I have in at the moment are oil on canvas for an artist who likes the look of the cord too.
Yes wouldn't hurt to try wire in future.
Maybe I could try with some old shoe laces 😄

Alexander

Grumbler
Is Amazon an option for you? I found a bunch of options searching "kevlar cord 2mm". Lots of them are packaged for kite flyers, is there a kite shop in your area? A marine supplier might have what you're looking for.

Acorn Art Systems is the source for the Miracle Cord/Quick Clips hanging system <https://www.acornartsystems.com/product.cfm?product=7> They're in Washington (state). I have a spool here, but I use wire.
Takes to long to ship to Norway if they do and I have never seen a kite shop in all my travels 😀

David Waldmann

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
I don’t know anyone who uses cord. Fraying would be a huge concern for me.
And for those who don't know, poster is from Europe...

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
For heavier pieces Venetian blind cord works but any tightly braided nylon or cotton cord should be o.k.. There also used to be a flat cord which was easy to staple onto the backs of light frames.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Quite a long time ago--over 20 years-- I used Kevlar cord and plastic clips that I bought from a now-defunct US supplier. It made for a very nice presentation and was easy to use. The Kevlar did not stretch or sag.

I see that Acorn Art Systems has a very similar if not the exact product. It is probably much less expensive to ship than wire.

Alexander

Grumbler
I will go with the wire for now, I just have been used to working with cord and think the wire looks cheaper (I am frequently wrong), especially on the job I am doing atm, oil landscapes. Interesting to see that all of you use wire. 🙂

prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Nobody likes cord? 😀
The jobs I have in at the moment are oil on canvas for an artist who likes the look of the cord too.
Yes wouldn't hurt to try wire in future.
Maybe I could try with some old shoe laces 😄
I had to buy a reel of Brown cord for one job where the cord would show. 😆 I've been using the remainder
for shoe laces every since. Have to report that it does fray and snap eventually.

Plastic-coated steel wire is my go-to stuff for frames. Very operator-friendly. The 'brass' stuff is horrible to twist and
can react with other metals (single nail in the wall?) and fail. Cord is very strong but it does streettttccch.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding