Question Conservation Mounting Antique Pamphlet

ACSD

Grumbler in Training
Business
Art & Frames of Coronado
Wondering what solutions you all have for mounting an antique booklet/pamphlet so that it is removable/accessible? I'll be mounting it to fabric board with a removable acrylic box face. My client would like to access the pamphlet and change the pages that are displayed or even take it out to view/show. At some point in the past I remember seeing some sort of mylar strip mounting system that's intended for exactly this type of thing. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi ACSD, and welcome to the G!

Jim Miller is the resident expert on object mounting and the researcher and author of a couple books on the subject. Maybe he'll pop in with some timely advice.

In the meantime could you post a picture of the pamphlet so we would have a better idea of just what we're dealing with?

Welcome to the G!

How big is the booklet, how many pages?
Could you run a Mylar strip over it, or through the middle of the book? Depends on size and condition of the booklet.
You might be able to do a sink-mount and Mylar strip combination.

You would have to either build a door on the front, or make it accessible from the back.

Sounds like you're making a display box, probably with substantial depth. If that's the case, a shelf on a slant, where the book can rest open and naturally would be nice. The whole unit should be security mounted or Z-Bar type mounting, at both top and bottom of box to aid in eased removal of the book.

Welcome, ACSD.

We can give you better-informed opinions if you provide more information. Size, thickness, weight of paper, type and condition of binding, degree of deterioration, existing tears or voids, and so on. It would be best if you could post a few photos.

Sounds like you're making a display box, probably with substantial depth. If that's the case, a shelf on a slant, where the book can rest open and naturally would be nice. The whole unit should be security mounted or Z-Bar type mounting, at both top and bottom of box to aid in eased removal of the book.
Also if the book is fragile. a sink mount on a slight slant, taking advantage of gravity could be an option, holding it in place with support all around. To aid in removal, a ribbon place behind to lift the book outward would make it easier to remove.

Mr. Hewitt is correct. I once made a sort of ’shelf’ of board and paste for a pamphlet’s bottom, with 45 degree pass-through ribbons at the top to hold the pages open. True ‘conservation’ it was not, but it satisfied the client.

Back