• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Compressor Underload

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Came into the shop today to a dead compressor. Well not quite dead. Turned it on and it sounded like kittens in a blender - if the kittens were metal. Loud screeching and no air pressure.

So an emergency run to Home Depot for a new compressor. The old one was 30 gal but I saw a 20 gal one I liked - a Silent Air Husky.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...wered-Silent-Air-Compressor-3332013/311273546

I don't care so much about the silent part as I don't have real-life customers to scare off but it is quite. The break-in instructions are to run it for 10 minutes with the drain value open which is what I am doing right now. It is reasonably quiet.

My 10 minutes are up so time to make some frames.

David Hewitt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I like quality, but when our brand name compressor went out under warranty it needed to be sent out for repair, (like 30 days) couldn't wait needed it now. Went to Harbor Freight, their extended warranty is exchange for a new one, had to use it and their policy was great.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Most of these relatively inexpensive compressors are pretty quiet these days. At 55db, you can have a conversation right beside it and be understood.

Not as quiet as a Silentaire or other big name quiet compressor, but pretty good for the money. But the best thing is you can make a trip to a BB and be back in production the same afternoon.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
55 isnt bad at all. Above 70 causes hearing loss. A jet engine/near runway is about 75 I believe. The govt made me sell my previous house to the local airport, because the sound levels exceeded 75db. (I was a couple blocks from one of the runways)

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Actually, a jet engine is alot closer to 150db.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I believe it. They said mine was "in excess of 75db" and claimed my house by the law of eminent domain. I was so close, I could see THROUGH commercial airliners windows as they were coming in for landing on runway 34. ha

It actually worked out well, because I ended up with a much nicer place out in a quiet forest area. (and they paid the price difference, moving costs, closing costs, etc) Now all I hear is wildlife. This was in 1995, not recently.

IFGL

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Smaller compressors are usually more efficient and lots cheaper than larger ones, I run a a large double mitre saw (Cassese 939) my under pinner, the cmc and air tools off of two 24l cheepo loud compressors I have in the cellar (basement) and piped through, they are joined together and set at very slightly different pressures to switch on and off, there is more than enough air pressure to run all the machines at once, I have a spare if one decides to die, if more air is ever needed simply add another compressor to the system, I can barley hear a thing in the shop or the workshop, my electrician wired a switch in the workshop so I can turn them off or on from there.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I believe it. They said mine was "in excess of 75db" and claimed my house by the law of eminent domain. I was so close, I could see THROUGH commercial airliners windows as they were coming in for landing on runway 34. ha

It actually worked out well, because I ended up with a much nicer place out in a quiet forest area. (and they paid the price difference, moving costs, closing costs, etc) Now all I hear is wildlife. This was in 1995, not recently.
Holy cow! I can’t believe someone won an expropriation. I thought this process was totally slanted against the good guys.

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Ted, never underestimate Mike. He runs this site for recreation. If there is a loophole, he will find it. They probably apologized as well, and Mike never raise his voice.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com