Comparing Framing Softwares

Taylor

Grumbler in Training
I'm currently using FullCalc and am looking to switch. I use QuickBooks Pro for the Accounting, and QuickBooks POS for the retail/gifts side to the business. I'm currently looking at LifeSaver, FrameReady, and SpecialtySOft POS. I'd like to hear anyone opinions on these, as well as others I haven't mentioned - pros and cons? Thank you in advance. (business based in Maryland, USA)

Hi Taylor and welcome to the Grumble!

Everyone will recommend the one they are using. You can ask for free demos for most major pos systems. Try them out and see what you like best.
I use specialty soft and it fits my needs. I like the extensive report system. I have never used anything else so it would be impossible to give you honest advice.

Why are you looking to switch? We started with FullCalc 20 years ago, switched to Life Saver, back to FullCalc & now use Frameready. I thought FullCalc was the easiest & most efficient to use at the design counter & I liked their reports but their support/customer service drove me away (twice). Frameready support is great at customizing the program to your needs although it is more clumsy for me to navigate. I click through a lot more screens than I ever did with FullCalc but it gets the job done. Didn't care for Lifesaver but we had a free version that was sponsored by True Vue at the time. People that had the subscription version seemed to like it. I could just never get it to price the way I wanted or do some other tasks as I'd like & couldn't get the changes I wanted like I can from FraneReady. Then again, like I said, maybe you get what you pay for. If you have specific needs, maybe call & see how the different companies would handle your customizations.

Very few of us have enough experience to form valid opinions on more than one or two POS systems, so this is probably the best advice you'll receive here:
Everyone will recommend the one they are using. You can ask for free demos for most major pos systems. Try them out and see what you like best.

That said, Mike Labbe has developed an extensive comparison of POS systems. It is very useful - but you still need to do your own evaluation.

I would suggest you look at the reports. various programs have different reports, and can merge with Quickbooks. I'll be changing for that ability alone in the future...

Hey guys, I really eppreciate the Feedback! Looks like we're going to check out the demos for Lifesaver. Specialty soft and FrameReady . Thanks for all the advice and comments!

If you have any tech questions about any of those 3, feel free to post them here. There are users of all 3 of these top products on the forum, to help.

I can personally help with any Lifesaver Cloud setup questions, as we use it in our shop. (as a customer and as a beta tester/customer testimonial at some of the shows)

Just bear in mind...FrameReady requires a server computer which really does change the situation. Adds about $1500 at least to the hardware cost!

Just bear in mind...FrameReady requires a server computer which really does change the situation. Adds about $1500 at least to the hardware cost!
What is a "server computer" and why would you need one?

To my knowledge, none of the popular POS systems require any special equipment. For over 20 years I have used FrameReady on ordinary laptop and desktop PCs, and I've never needed any special equipment. I personally know framers who are using FrameReady on iPads and inexpensive ($250) Windows computers.

Why are you looking to switch? We started with FullCalc 20 years ago, switched to Life Saver, back to FullCalc & now use Frameready.

FullCalc probably was THE system 20-30 years ago, But they never modernized. I don't know a single one of our customers that use it. And I think I would know, since we stopped supplying pricing data to them close to 10 years ago, when they started charging us $400/year for the "privilege" of sending it to them.

Check out their website... https://www.fullcalc.com/news.htm

Back