CMC Slip sheets

Elaine

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
What do you use for your CMC slip sheets??

I use flawboard.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Okay - what is bainbridge #61 and #71?? I have not come across this before.

Hi Elaine,
I use Crescent CX mounting board. It's pretty cheap. I'm sure you know to double the use, use both sides. I tried using newsboard (which is brown like cardboard, just without the corrogations), which is cheaper, but it just didn't work as well. The cuts seemed to come out a little rougher.

What is 'flawboard'? Is it board that has flaws?

Originally posted by MarkyW:
What is 'flawboard'? Is it board that has flaws?
In a word, yes! One of my distributors actually orders and stocks Crescent's "seconds" as flawboard. All of my distributors sell discontinued mats and ones that get damaged in the warehouse as "flawboard".

In that case, Flawboards might replace the Bainbridge # 61 if they are cheaper. And D/c'ed boards too, great idea!

Elaine:

BB # 61 is a paper mat, ideal for this purpose.

I just ordered some flaw board from LJ and it is $1.00 per sheet but they were out this week.

Had to get some in as we just got our Wizard from Veagas show, so ordered from another supplier and their flaw board came in at 2.47ea.

For a buck a sheet from LJ I'll be stocking up 50 or so at a time.
thumbsup.gif

Good ideas - I have been using up my supply of old paper mats from way back when I didn't know better and worked from my basement and had to order minimums from United (that was from the early 90's!). I noticed I was getting low, so I thought I would see what anyone else used. I like the buck a sheet cost! and the discontinued idea is great also.

Lesson learned - a good slip sheet is worth alot on the CMC cuts, its not worth trying to get "One more" out of it!

Thanks

Elaine

Flaw board is certainly the cheapest we've found. Be careful of using blackcore flawboard to cut on as it may leave marks on lighter boards. This may also occur with boards that have a dark (blue, black, red etc.) face.
The perfect solution with a little caution.

For years I've been under the impression that paper mats are preferable to rag and alpha boards as slip sheets. Any thoughts?

I use flawboard because it's cheap. The best would be a hard SMOOTH surface two sided board.

So, I only use the textured side of the flawboard if I am cutting a textured mat.

Paper/alpha/rag shouldn't matter except that they offer different textures and hardness. The two things the slip sheet is doing are protecting the base (anything will do) and creating a surface for the mat to rest on so the blade can sit below the cut thus givving a cleaner edge "up" on the blade.

Originally posted by Meghan MacMillan:
For years I've been under the impression that paper mats are preferable to rag and alpha boards as slip sheets. Any thoughts?
I have heard this theory from other framers and suppliers.

I think the real story is the cost of the board. Why would we spend 10 bucks on a slip sheet when a buck or two does just as good of a job?

flawboard, but we buy 40 x 60 sheets for the Wizard; beats taping together two 32 x 40s Hadn't thought of the Crescent CW. Will have to check into that one

O and what about all those discontinued mats someone asked about a few days ago? If you hae them in stock, use them too.

I actually like to tape two boards together instead of fighting with a 40x60. When I remove one to cut 8ply, I can just flip the side over to the unused side of the wizard while I cut the 8ply. I'm 5'2" and fighting with the big boards is like watching a monkey F@$! a football.

Hope that image doesn't give anyone nightmares!

Originally posted by Elaine:
I'm 5'2" and fighting with the big boards is like watching a monkey F@$! a football.

Hope that image doesn't give anyone nightmares!
And just WHERE did you see THAT done, Elaine????

Framerguy

We watch a lot of Animal Planet
popc.gif

We can no longer get flaw board from our supplier since CMC's are getting more common. They recommended newsboard which I didn't like at all. Looked for the least expensive paper mat - C33. That seems to work well. If anybody has less expensive alternatives, love to hear them.

Originally posted by Jerry Ervin:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Meghan MacMillan:
I have heard this theory from other framers and suppliers.

I think the real story is the cost of the board. Why would we spend 10 bucks on a slip sheet when a buck or two does just as good of a job?
</font>[/QUOTE]Not arguing - but this goes back to pre-CMC days when slipsheets were byproducts of sizing mats. We'd save everything 5" wide or more. I was told not to save the rag or alpha scraps. Of course, we were still selling paper mats then too.

Now when I have a biggish order - close to the next pricing column I'll add enough sheets of paper mat to discount the whole order.

It seems all suppliers are always out of those flawboards!

Somebody has been buying hundreds of those...
fire.gif

Could it be that whoever is buying those amounts is using them for a CMC AND regular framing jobs....!

Idea #1: Why doesn't one of the matboard companies make "slipsheet board", designed and sold for this specific purpose?
Idea #2: What about the posibility of a "permanent" slip sheet made of that self-healing plastic material you can buy in smaller sizes as cutting surfaces in art supply stores? Would it work for this purpose, or would it provide too much resistance to the blade tip? Would it last? I'm sure it would be expensive, but would pay for itself pretty rapidly compared to $1 to $2 a board for slip sheets.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif
Rick

Back