Closed corner Lee and his Generals

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Business
Rectangles
Here's a pretty straight forward closed corner frame job that we did recently.
We use a closed corner frame company in town for the frame.
We have corner samples from them on display.

Oddly, we stretch all of the limited edition and original canvases for their frame jobs.
They can make amazing closed corner frames but they don't stretch canvases.
On the other hand, we don't usually make closed corner frames but we stretch about 30-40 canvases a month.

The print was sent to a conservator as it was in pretty bad shape.
Some of those Confederate Generals look like either brothers or clones...o_O
View attachment 29160

Last edited:
Works well. Got a question: what kind of mat cutter are you using?

Works well. Got a question: what kind of mat cutter are you using?
Wizard 9000.
That's actually a pretty simple one for the Wizard.
I just finished a mat that was 2 - 8 ply mats cut and glued together to create a 16 ply mat with wide bevel, arched top corners and hand covered with silk.
Then a third solid color accent mat was added for the inside mat.
This was for an ASU architectural professor.
I have framed for him for about 10 years and he's kind of particular with his projects.:cool:

We just last week have gotten a laser cutter and we're experimenting with that for projects now.

Last edited:
A laser cutter for card?? I would be interested to see how that goes.

A trophy vendor who used to cut plaques for me had a laser for engraving some perspex and plastics and he once used it on a signed matt I had made for people to sign at a wedding. There were four openings and some idiot has written something quite offensive right in the centre square. There simply was not enough "meat" around it for me to cut it, even with a manual cutter so he burned it out. You could see the scorching around the edges but the matt was Crescent's silver gray which is a bit forgiving and we put a silk flower into the small circular window and that partly hid the square-cut and slightly yellowed bevel.

Not a bad save but I bet the guest who signed it didn't get any more invitations from that group.

i've done a few projects using a laser to cut matboard. it definitely scorches but on a dark mat it's not the end of the world. One of the guitar projects I did involved laser cutting the band logo into a crescent suede mat board. worked like a charm, and much neater than my Wizard ever could have done.
finished fleeetwood mac.jpg

Back