Cleaning saw blades?

E

El Framo

Was it all the Vac-mount spray I used to huff, or did I hear you could clean saw blades?

It seems I had heard the rosin build up on saw blades was the (potential) culprit in causing some bad cuts, and that this could be cleaned off. This could lead to less frequent trips to the sharpener and save some moolah.

So, can they, and if so how? Or, should I check myself in to some group home for old huffers and just hang it up?

It was mentioned here on a previous thread that spray oven cleaner works well on removing the build-up (you think Vac-U-Mount is noxious..???). I tried it myself and it does work......

Actually, I'm spoiled on the first few cuts with a sharp blade .... like butter ... so, oven cleaner or not, I probably sharpen my blades more often than I should ... it just feels good ...

You can buy blade cleaners or just go to the grocery store and buy a can of "Easy-Off". I prefer the fume free version. Works like a charm.
Make sure you clean and dry the blades thoughly!

If you think your blades are dull, they are. This will only get you by for a short time.

Use a bathroom cleaner known as Scrubbing Bubbles - less noxious than oven cleaner and just as effective. Don't wait till the blades stop cutting good - clean every 40-50 frames especially when cutting pine.

El

The fastest and less noxious way is to use the wax sticks that FrameSquare sells. I'm sure other other places sell them but I get mine there because they are local.

When you use the wax sticks, you not only remove the resin build up on the blades you also prevent future build up.

The wax also helps when cutting metal frames.

Give it a shot.

Any citrus based cleaner works well and is a lot less toxic. It smells nice too.

Funny

I've gone away from wax believing it speeds up the build up process which leads us to believe the blade is dull - its just caked!

Anyone else notice that.

I've gone away from wax believing it speeds up the build up process which leads us to believe the blade is dull - its just caked!
Anyone else notice that.
I use our saw exclusively for metal, and I have very little build up from using a wax stick. I believe the heat due to friction melts the wax into an oil. It may solidify again on the metal rails when they cool, but my blade and teeth are “plaque” free.

Back