Cleaning Museum Acrylic...

Echobelly

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Recently had a customer bring in a frame with museum acrylic, not optium, that she wanted us to re-use the acrylic. It was covered with fingerprints, first I used our 210 plastic cleaner and polish, that left horrible streaks. Then I used UnDo, which is great for fingerprints but that streaked too. I tried two different kinds of glass cleaner and both left bad streaks. The piece it was going over was very dark so the streaks really showed. Luckily it was a small piece so I ended up just replacing with a scrap of optium we had. What do you guys use to clean museum acrylic? As a rule, I don't clean it when I use a new piece.

1 to 1 mixture of 91% alcohol to distilled water. I'm have used 70% alcohol too and it works ok. I even use that mixture on glass. It is great for removing fingerprints, oil, and some light adhesives and will not leave any streaks.

Is it possible that you weren't putting enough cleaner on it?

Most of the times, when cleaning leaves streaks, it's because one didn't use enough cleaner.

Brillianize plastic cleaner. Fresh microfiber cloth.

It also reduces/eliminates static electricity in acrylic, and leaves an almost frictionless finish.
No, I don't work for them, but I buy their product by the gallon. We frame a lot using acrylic.
I don't usually reuse acrylic unless it is in pristine condition.

Not deliberately, no. It actually works like a liquid waxing agent. Applied, rubbed around a bit, then buffed. All with the same cloth.
We use it on all acrylic before framing except Optium, which uses regular glass cleaning solutions because of the coatings. The static dissipation is very helpful in the winter months.

In my experience, the streaks are moreso leftover grime, not leftover cleaner. Sometimes it can take a few times before you are finally streak free.

Not deliberately, no. It actually works like a liquid waxing agent. Applied, rubbed around a bit, then buffed. All with the same cloth.
We use it on all acrylic before framing except Optium, which uses regular glass cleaning solutions because of the coatings. The static dissipation is very helpful in the winter months.

I might actually see if I can get some of this stuff. Might be good to clean our glass cooktop as well.
It does state it cleans glass, just wondering about that.
Less static on plexi is good, I just don’t sell much of it

1 to 1 mixture of 91% alcohol to distilled water. I'm have used 70% alcohol too and it works ok. I even use that mixture on glass. It is great for removing fingerprints, oil, and some light adhesives and will not leave any streaks.
Thanks! That sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try.

I always preferred Brillianize for acrylic but there's only one plastic shop here and they carry Novus. Does anyone here have any favorable opinion for one or the other?

Back