Cleaning acrylic/Plexiglas - best way?

Andrew Lenz Jr.

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
It's been a while since this has been discussed and products on the market come and go. I'm curious what you have tried and what you settled on for cleaning pieces of acrylic these days.

Let's assume that it needs to be cleaned—yes, if you can avoid needing to clean it in the first place, that's best.

What's your process? What liquid do you use? What do you use to wipe?

Thanks,
Andrew

GlassPlus works just fine.

I'm a Novus fan. This is a good product that has a fine scratch remover, heavy scratch remover, and a polish. There has been a few times I have use both scratch removers. The polish does not leave a film unlike some of the others I have tried.

I like Novus also. But learned the hard way NOT to use it on Optium Acrylic! Did not realize an acrylic cleaner is not to be used on Optium. Had a heck of a time getting it cleaned after that!

I like Brillianize, but the word is still out on the residue left behind that makes the incredibly slick finish. It may not be applicable in preservation conditions.

Ultra Lite works well on all surfaces for final cleaning. Glass, acrylic, and coated products.

The people that work with acrylic and make vitrines and bonnets use Novus products, though not on coated acrylic surfaces.

Microfiber cloths unless you are going old school and use a real Chamois skin and distilled water.

I use a secret blend of Glass Plus and Novus. Works great...
I clean with blue shop towels you can get at Cosco, they have none to very little lint factor.
the goal is remove production residue after taking off the coating and diminish any static.
My opinion, plex always has to be cleaned. same with glass. it may seem clean... it isn't.

2 cents

Back