Clean Cuts On Gator

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
How do framers get super clean cuts on images mounted to gator board? I've only used it a handful of times, and the edges aren't as pretty.

Yea, I hate cutting Gator. I always have to sand the edges with 150 grit sandpaper after cutting it on my fletcher wall cutter, and it make a big mess. I get a clean cut on my table saw at home but that is not practical. I also wonder if there is a better way.

This is why I much prefer working with MightyCore, unfortunately it is discontinued.

We cut it with a straight edge and utility knife.
Take multiple passes.
And then sand the edges.

Table saw with a fine toothed crosscut blade.

The shop which did my cold mounting used to have a plastic u-shaped moulding which could be used to cover the edges and protect them from damage which is a real issue for any foam boards.

I score it a few times and then break it off and then sand the edge where it broke. I use a sheetrock sander for most of my sanding needs.

Sounds like the only way to get a clean cut on gator is with a table saw or sanding the edges after cutting with a razor.

By the way, even with a table saw I find that I still need to sand the edges to clean up the sharp edges. Otherwise, I find particulates inside the frame after assembly.

There has got to be a better way to cut gator.

Sounds like the only way to get a clean cut on gator is with a table saw or sanding the edges after cutting with a razor.

By the way, even with a table saw I find that I still need to sand the edges to clean up the sharp edges. Otherwise, I find particulates inside the frame after assembly.

There has got to be a better way to cut gator.
Gatorboard has a hard surface.
Hard items tend to be brittle.
Brittle items tend to flake.

I don't think there is, or needs to be, a better way to do this.
Do we need a computerized cutter for Gatorboard?

Back