• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

CHOPPER CHOICE

What is your favorit Chopper : Morso v jyden v Hansen ?

• Morso

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Jyden

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Hansen

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
F

framemasters1969

Hi Everyone,
In the old days we used a chopper for most of our production. We used a CTD double miter for all heavy duty and compo mouldings.
We stopped using the Morso chopper and sold it since space was an issue many years ago.
Now we are opening a small workshop near our showroom to accommodate jobs that need close supervision and rush jobs. Therefore we are in in market again for a saw. Since most moldings we use in this small space are small profiles we are looking at a chopper again. However I have read in some of the discussions on The Grumble that some of these chopper parts are hard to get since the manufacturers are out of business!
I know someone who has a Hansen chopper for sale. It does not look as sturdy as the old Morso we used to have! The right side measuring table seems to be made of Aluminium! There are other options too. Jyden and of course Morso, but they are not so readily available!
Our question to anyone who could kindly address our issue is :
-What are the main differences between these 3 choppers?
-How would you rate them against each other?
-Have all 3 manufacturers gone out of business?
-Where do we get parts and services if we go with a chopper?

Thanks a million for your time.

Kamran

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
sent you a PM.

simplymatted

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I had 2 Morso choppers. Then I discovered a Frame square saw. Just sold the Morso.
A great company sells them from Arkansas, also knows how to sharpen the blades.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Only ever used a Morso. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the reason I've never tried a different chopper. Did try a saw (Pistorius) but that was a fail.

IFGL

I have used morso and hanson choppers, from what I can see lots of the parts are interchangeable between the two machines, I own two Hansons just as good as the morso in my opinion, both are great machines. We mainly use our saw now though.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I started with a Jyden many years ago.
I have used a number of different Morso choppers since then, some of them very old.
I own a Hansen that I have at home now.
I really like the Hansen, it's like a Morso on steroids and it uses the same blades as a Morso.;)
I personally prefer the Morso or the Hansen over the Jyden.

artfolio

I used a Morso for years until the prevalence of "concrete compo" forced me to buy a saw and even then I kept the Morso to use on those mouldings it could cut. Mine was old when I bought my business and even older when I sold it but the only parts I ever replaced were the blades and one of the studs holding the blades which went missing.

I have seen The Jyden and Hansen machines but never used either although they look similarly rugged. I would think that if you bought any of the three you would have no need for spare parts as there really isn't much on them which is likely to break.

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
No experience with Morso or Hansen, but I have a Jyden chopper that was used when I bought it it 1977, and it performs as well today as the day I got it... that is, as well as it can considering the changes in mouldings as mentioned by Artfolio. This thing is built to last a lifetime and beyond.
:cool: Rick

Bob Doyle

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Only ever used a Morso so have no way to have a preference!

To date my favorite is a Morso :)

KPF

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
IMG_4316.JPG I started working with a 20 year old Jyden at a shop I worked at. Used it for 15 years.

When I started my business, I bought a new Morso and never really liked it.
Found the measuring stop too tight. The way it slides along the measuring scale. Also, the lever has these corners on it that I kept getting jabbed on.
And the waste removal... If the Morso is against a wall, it's a bit of a chore to clean out the chips.

3 years later, I found a 30+ year old Jyden. Put the Morso in storage.
I also use a Frame Square saw I bought new 3 years ago.

The Jyden it well built, and for me, faster than the Morso. The pedal is more solid, the measuring stop slides faster and is faster to remove.
And waste removal is a breeze. It seems like both choppers are well made, solid machines, Jyden seems like it's stripped down and simplified compared to the Morso.

I've always got my eye out for good Jydens. Thinking of starting a collection...;)
If anyone has any Jyden blades they want to sell, let me know.

Last edited:
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
My experience is similar to Rick's. We bought a used Jyden in 1974. For about 25 years it was our go-to mitering machine, though I did get a Phaedra system along the was which was used primarily for metal. The only shortcoming was availability of replacement blades, and that has been resolved by Tech Mark, who also handles Morso choppers and Brevetti Saws. I made the mistake of buying after-market blades for the Jyden and pretty much ended up throwing them away.
I have used a Morso, and there isn't much functional difference. The rear clear out is the primary PITA with Morso. You either need access or you need to make the machine somewhat mobile, since they are too heavy to move around to clean. I have seen a set up where the Morso is on an elevated platform and a clear opens to the front below the machine.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
View attachment 24786 And the waste removal... If the Morso is against a wall, it's a bit of a chore to clean out the chips.
That is the truth. We have ours mounted on top of a "step", with a drawer the pulls out the front.

Not sure about the measuring stop. Maybe that was on one of the newer ones with the aluminum fence and stop? Both* ours have the old cast iron/steel system and it always worked great.

*our less-used one that is the daily driver has a TigerStop measuring/fence system and it moves with the press of a bar code trigger.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor

mlmintz

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I have a Morso that I've been using since 1979.

KPF

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Not sure about the measuring stop. Maybe that was on one of the newer ones with the aluminum fence and stop? Both* ours have the old cast iron/steel system and it always worked great.
My Morso is a newer one with the aluminum fence and stop. I find it flimsy with too much resistance.

Register for the picture framer's grumble