Charles Wysocki frame


CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Jun 13, 2002
Sacramento, California
Hi everyone,

I was doing a delivery over the weekend and my client showed me a Charles Wysocki that he had purchased framed at a gallery in New York. The gallery no longer exists and the frame needs to be replaced. It is a flat burl about 3-1/2 to 4 inches wide with raised squares in each corner. I couldn't quite tell if it was a burl veneer or just made to look like burl but that is the part that is the problem -- it is peeling and curling upward in many different places. I should be able to go back and take photos to post within the next few days but I thought I'd go ahead and put the feelers out. He has another Wysocki in the same style (with squares on each corner) but it is in black with a gold lip. He said that would be an acceptable alternative to the burl.

Anyone familiar with Wysocki who can point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Hey, FourCorners (great name for this post!), those corner squares are called Hicks Corners. If you can find a basic moulding similar to the other one, you might be able to make and affix your own Hicks corners from wood stock such as raw moulding or "scant boards" available at hardware places.
:cool: Rick
That is a Hicks frame, and was probably made by any of a number of custom frame manufacturers in or around NYC. Check with AMCI, or APF/Munn...either one could do the job.
I forgot to mention that if we go with a burl, he has a another frame hanging nearby that he would want it to match. For those of you who work with AMCI, APF/Munn, etc. is this something they could and will pull off? I'd probably have to ship the other piece to match, yes? Eech...

I'm still holding out hope that there's a Wysocki dealer out there than knows the frames I'm talking about and where we could get one.
Just got off the phone with David Munn and he seems confident that he can repair the frame.

You guys rock!