• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Challenging paper

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

julietheframer

True Grumbler
Hi fellow framers,
A customer recently brought in these tattoo drawings on a thin tissue/vellum like paper. I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to frame these! The customer would like them both in one frame. I am scratching my head as to how to attach them. I always do rice paper hinges for his pieces, but because this paper is see-through the hinge will probably show through. I don’t have a computerized mat cutter, but even if I did I think a mat might look too formal. I thought about putting between two pieces of plexiglass—but not sure if the static alone will hold them.
Thank you all for any thoughts you might have.
Julie
440E4B5F-4D67-42CA-B906-FDDFDEB3F9B5.jpeg EE4239A6-C9A7-4C36-8936-2544401E6CE4.jpeg

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
How about floating on a piece of clear acrylic with rare earth magnets? It could go, glass, spacer, acrylic with art and magnets on both front and back, another spacer, the larger, solid backing mat, and foam core behind that. You could leave the magnets dark silver or paint them some cool color.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
You could easily mat those pieces. Trace the edge onto the mat and hand cut, then you could use a light weight mulberry hinge to hold the paper and cover the hinge with the mat.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Hi Julie, welcome to the G! Glad to have you here.

You might want to look at the thread I just started, for the silk scarf.

I think you might be able to do something similar, with a DCO

Use fabric mat (to give it more grip). You could cut the batting in the shape of the piece, it might not even need that. Sandwich it between rigid board and plexiglass.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Hi Shayla,
Thanks for replying!
I am having trouble visualizing this. Wouldn’t the magnets show?
Julie

Yes. Museums that do this sometimes paint them the same color as the surrounding material.

You could also just pin them to a backing with plastic edge strips, like LJ sells. Then, make two openings in a matboard, wrap it with fabric, and lay it over the mounted strips. The cuts wouldn't have to be fancy, because the fabric would cover the edges. You could even make the fabric ripply, instead of flat. Like, maybe silk. Or something homespun and beachy. Maybe wrinkled linen, to echo the wrinkles in the paper. Or with a tropical feel. Too bad the bikinis aren't dotted, as you could use yellow, with polka dots. (If you're under fifty, you might not get that. lol....) :)

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

julietheframer

True Grumbler
You could easily mat those pieces. Trace the edge onto the mat and hand cut, then you could use a light weight mulberry hinge to hold the paper and cover the hinge with the mat.
Thank you, Joe for your response!
I don’t know about my hand-cutting skills. I noticed you are a PF god😉
I guess I could practice. It’s been awhile since I’ve done hand-cuts. But I will consider that.
Cheers, Julie

julietheframer

True Grumbler
Yes. Museums that do this sometimes paint them the same color as the surrounding material.

You could also just pin them to a backing with plastic edge strips, like LJ sells. Then, make two openings in a matboard, wrap it with fabric, and lay it over the mounted strips. The cuts wouldn't have to be fancy, because the fabric would cover the edges. You could even make the fabric ripply, instead of flat. Like, maybe silk. Or something homespun and beachy. Maybe wrinkled linen, to echo the wrinkles in the paper. Or with a tropical feel. Too bad the bikinis aren't dotted, as you could use yellow, with polka dots. (If you're under fifty, you might not get that. lol....) :)
Haha!🤣
I am 58!
Great ideas!
Thanks Shayla!!

julietheframer

True Grumbler
Hi Julie, welcome to the G! Glad to have you here.

You might want to look at the thread I just started, for the silk scarf.

I think you might be able to do something similar, with a DCO

Use fabric mat (to give it more grip). You could cut the batting in the shape of the piece, it might not even need that. Sandwich it between rigid board and plexiglass.
Thanks Shayla! I will check that thread out!

Ad Banner for SmallCorp