Carpet moths

durrans

Grumbler in Training
A customer has had an infestation of carpet moths and she wondered if they could attack canvas paintings. This is something I hadn't ever thought about, and wondered if anyone could shed light on this.

A customer has had an infestation of carpet moths and she wondered if they could attack canvas paintings. This is something I hadn't ever thought about, and wondered if anyone could shed light on this.
Carpet moths tend to eat product with animal protein, keratin in particular…..since canvas is made from vegetable products, it would seem that these moths would not have an interest in it.

Thanks for that - I'll pass it on. She lives in a three hundred year old house (England) and some oft he paintings are a hundred plus years old, so I suspect are coated with a mix of nicotine and smoke that will probably defy any insects attempts.

Thanks for that - I'll pass it on. She lives in a three hundred year old house (England) and some oft he paintings are a hundred plus years old, so I suspect are coated with a mix of nicotine and smoke that will probably defy any insects attempts.
Yep that nicotine will kill them outright😁😁😁

Back