Searching For Carithers Mat Cutter is confusing me.

Isobel

Grumbler in Training
Business
Public Service Procurement Canada
Hello to ALL, I am very new here, all of 10 minutes! I have purchased a Carithers Mat Cutter recently and am baffled. I used to use an extremely inexpensive Logan cutter years ago and this seems backward to me. I am wondering if there are any videos, or better still, anyone in the Ottawa Ontario area who has a Carithers who would be willing to show me how this is used. I am more of a visual learner, manuals just confuse me more. Anyone?????
Thanking you in advance for help, advice, assistance.......
Isobel

Do you have a model number for your "new" mat cutter, so that we can see what you are working with.

I only have experience with C&H mat cutters, which I believe are related to Carithers.
Most of the professional mat cutters see to be pretty similar, with some variance in bells and whistles.

There are many videos on Youtube about how to do all stages of framing.
I'd trust about 10%.
Do a quick search for "Carithers Mat cutter how to video"

Hey Isabel: I’m in Merrickville, and if a Carithers is similar to a C&H, I still have one here at the shop. I can show you the basics, but I don’t have the production stops close by. Call ahead. My number’s at the Canal Gallery website. And I have thousands of offcuts to practise on.

However, if you need help with a Wizard, I can be much more confident.

Ted H

Last edited:
Do you have a model number for your "new" mat cutter, so that we can see what you are working with.

I only have experience with C&H mat cutters, which I believe are related to Carithers.
Most of the professional mat cutters see to be pretty similar, with some variance in bells and whistles.

I'd trust about 10%.
Thank you for your reply :) My Carithers is a "Classic". I downloaded the C&H manual the other day based on seeing what I thought was my cutter, then I saw the name was different and panicked. The fellow who previously used this cutter is no longer with us, but had created a number of "jigs" for ease of use, which I can not figure out. I purchased the whole "kit-n-caboodle" from his son and am now overwhelmed with so many pieces.

Isobel

Hey Isabel: I’m in Merrickville, and if a Carithers is similar to a C&H, I still have one here at the shop. I can show you the basics, but I don’t have the production stops close by. Call ahead. My number’s at the Canal Gallery website. And I have thousands of offcuts to practise on.

However, if you need help with a Wizard, I can be much more confident.

Ted H
Good morning Ted, I believe my "Classic" is similar to a C&H, at least it looks very similar. I am in Kanata, so not too far away. I have so many stops, parts, cutters, metal thingys, wooden "jigs", bits and pieces galore. I shall definitely be in touch!

Isobel

I have never seen a homemade jig for a mat cutter.
Can you share any pictures?

Best of luck.

Brian

They’re probably all different forms of production stops.

Well, Here it is!!!!
These "jigs" are what his son called them, but I am not sure if they are bottom stops, side bar guides, NO IDEA.....anyone???? The smaller wooden pieces have a groove cut out that fits on the slide bar, but the bigger pieces are flat and made out of floppy wood paneling.The last photo, what is that and where does it go or what does it do? Also the 4th photo - what is the big wooden cross with the handle in the middle? Are all of the bars on the table useful to me or do I have duplicate items????

Thanks,

Isobel

IMG_2467.jpgIMG_2468.jpgIMG_2469.jpgIMG_2470.jpgIMG_2471.jpgIMG_2472.jpgI

Cool. The guy had a simple system of thin slats for setting the mat guide a specific distance from the guide bar that would be absolutely parallel. The mat guide has two hold downs, one at either end, and there was probably a scale at either end to set it up. Having the slats cut accurately would save time in getting the guide bar in place.

The thicker blocks were used as lower stops, not unlike the system I have on my Gunnar manual mat cutter. I would need to have a good shot of the cutter head to see what was used as a stop at the insertion point. This was something the owner would have made themselves or had made by a cabinet maker. The original lower production stop was probably a sliding piece that indexed off a scale on the guide bar.

One mystery is the bronze tone gadget in photo 5 at the top just right of center. If I am not mistaken, that is a V-groove attachment that has a pair of blades that plunge simultaneously into the face of the mat, and rides down the guide bar cutting a V-groove. I have something similar that came with an old Barton mat cutter I own.

The cross shaped piece may be some kind of homemade marking gauge.

It appears the framer also used the mat cutter as a guide to cut glass.

The long aluminum are parts to the mat guide, though there seem to be more than necessary, and may be another customization.

No idea what the item in photo 6 is used for.

Thank you Wally, I feel reassured that I am not losing my mind. I had some inkling that the "jigs" were/are as you say.

You are absolutely correct, the "bronze tone gadget" is indeed a V-groove attachment with a pair of blades. My husband thought the cross thingy was for circular cuts, but still sifting through "stuff" for a cutter as such.
The framer did do glass cutting yes, perhaps that what picture 6 is for?

I have attached some photos of the cutter head with stops attached, as well as the desk the framer secured the mat cutter to, along with his own rendition of an "extension table".

It's a pretty slick set up actually as its on wheels and the desk drawers are handy too. The previous framer attached shelves in the back of the desk to hold all the jigs and an extension box for lights or other tools. Smart guy! :)
IMG_2473.jpgIMG_2474.jpgIMG_2475.jpgIMG_2476.jpgIMG_2477.jpgIMG_2478.jpgIMG_2479.jpgIMG_2480.jpg

I'd trust about 10%.
You are correct, the C in C&H stands for Charles Carithers, and the H for his brother Herb. Were based in Mississippi and wrote books on framing too. Excellent quality machines.

You are correct, the C in C&H stands for Charles Carithers, and the H for his brother Herb. Were based in Mississippi and wrote books on framing too. Excellent quality machines.
My mistake….you would think I would learn not to reply until awake…..C&H is Charles, jr. And his father Charles who goes by Herb! Herb passed away in 2013 at the ripe old age of 84, but their legacy lives on!

That is one heck of a set up you have there. If there was a Hall of Fame for our framing industry that would surely hold a place of honor.

Some days I miss the "good old days" when we were all on our own and had to fly by the seat of our pants and make stuff up as we went along. I bet every framer had some sort of impressive one-of-a-kind homemade gadget of their own invention.

Back