Canvas too small to stretch!

ratheramuzed

Grumbler in Training
Business
Work
Hey all --

Have a canvas which is 55" x 55" -- it only came with a 2" border to stretch (59" x 59"). The artist originally painted and stretched it on a 3/4" stretcher. Can't go into the artwork (or it will look awful)

Client does not want a frame but rather exposed canvas

2ish questions:
  • How bad is it to re-stretch on 3/4" stretchers? (for a painting that large)
  • If 3/4 is just ridiculous, how do we get a larger bar?
    • Is there a way to stretch on a 1.5" stretcher with out adding canvas?
    • Or is the only solution to add more canvas?

Thanks!

Hi RA and welcome to the G!

Check out stretchers from Jack Richeson and Simon Lieu.

Hey all --

Have a canvas which is 55" x 55" -- it only came with a 2" border to stretch (59" x 59"). The artist originally painted and stretched it on a 3/4" stretcher. Can't go into the artwork (or it will look awful)

Client does not want a frame but rather exposed canvas

2ish questions:
  • How bad is it to re-stretch on 3/4" stretchers? (for a painting that large)
  • If 3/4 is just ridiculous, how do we get a larger bar?
    • Is there a way to stretch on a 1.5" stretcher with out adding canvas?
    • Or is the only solution to add more canvas?

Thanks!

What method do you use to stretch canvas?
If you are using a machine to stretch, then the answer is probably no.
If you are hand stretching, then you can usually get a grip on less material.
The easiest option is to staple on the sides of the stretcher. Not the best looking option, but there will likely be staple holes showing on the side of the canvas from the original stretching, as what was the back will now be on the side.
Stapling on the back is a nicer look. A half inch of material on the back is generous for most of the canvases we get in to work on.

Doing by hand -- thanks for the advice. Sounds
What method do you use to stretch canvas?
If you are using a machine to stretch, then the answer is probably no.
If you are hand stretching, then you can usually get a grip on less material.
The easiest option is to staple on the sides of the stretcher. Not the best looking option, but there will likely be staple holes showing on the side of the canvas from the original stretching, as what was the back will now be on the side.
Stapling on the back is a nicer look. A half inch of material on the back is generous for most of the canvases we get in to work on.
By hand -- thanks for the advice. You think it's enough to have 1/2 to stretch and staple? i guess i could do a 1.5" bar and wrap 0.5" on back ...

Along with my canvas pliers, I had a sheet metal clamp similar to this ,
41yiucVbDBL._AC_SR320,320_.jpg
but it had removable jaws, 4", 6"
, and a 10". It worked great gripping canvases with short material. Also made working with large sizes easier.

Last edited:
Amazon product ASIN B07GDFLV3Q
What I like about those is the grip marks go right to the edge of the jaw lip.

My canvas pliers' grip marks stop about 1/8" from the lip, so makes holding very narrow bits of canvas less secure.

A quick search finds a number of canvas stretching pliers of various designs (all of which seem better than what i have now):
Amazon product ASIN B07X2J4NWVAmazon product ASIN B07P1FKW2LAmazon product ASIN B07Z3XY34C
It may be time for me to invest in a better canvas tool :D

I use all of the attached depending on the canvas and my latest one was from harborfreight for $9 vice grip type, it's very handy for stretching canvas that's too small and it locks in place.

The sheet metal clamp type I've added self adhesive no slip I've used on our boat trailer, It' like self adhesive sand paper.

I ran across this site while making this post

2021-11-25_091929.jpg

Back