Canvas source? A carefully used large printer?

simplymatted

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Im doing some digging, but like to know who you might use for a reasonable priced canvas that will go thru a printer.

Also its looking like I will be in the market for a 24" to 36" wide printer.

Again, thanks all for your input!

Our printer friend uses mostly Epson products.

Used Epson media up until about 2 weeks ago when our Epson 9900 head decided it had enough. I do recommend Cannon IPF line for printers as the Epsons are notorious for head clogs. I can't tell you how much ink I went through with cleanings and clogging issues.

Canon IPF here
Hahnemuhle papers and canvas only

How do you like your Canon so far? Any issues and have you owned/used a comparable Epson wide-format printer to compare the two? Very curious as there's an 8400 in my city that I have a lead on but quite hesitant to make a real move to buy it. Just an overall bad experience with our Epson that's putting me off printing in general at the moment.

How do you like your Canon so far? Any issues and have you owned/used a comparable Epson wide-format printer to compare the two? Very curious as there's an 8400 in my city that I have a lead on but quite hesitant to make a real move to buy it. Just an overall bad experience with our Epson that's putting me off printing in general at the moment.
I have an 8400, it had a minor issue do to a photoshop plug in - but that was resolved and it has been great.
It is very very efficient in the use of ink and has never had a "clog" (I think clogs are a feature only for the Epson folks). I know a few Epson folks that are self printing photographers and they joke about ink and clearing clogs.

Aaron - my only advice for buying a used or pre owned printer - is the same advice for buying a used CMC like a Wizard........be sure that you (yes you) are able to see it in use before you buy it. If you cannot physically print from it before purchasing........I'd be wary.

I have a 7880 and a 9880, I use epson and Lexjet canvas, all the same when it comes out. IF you have a lot of images to do photo paper or canvas, or you restore old photos you need a printer. I have had the 7880 since 2007. only had a switch go out on the waste tank, ebay and i fixed it. It could be cheaper to farm out the printing at first and see how it goes before investing in a printer. I have learned, all this have huge learning curves, some steeper than it is worth. Also if you print you need to buy something like a spider pro for calibrating your monitor, Photo Shop and it seems like something else, can't remember. Put you get the point I hope! Good luck

Sam

Lots of pitfalls with used wide format printers. One that has little use may be the most troublesome of all. These things clog up as they get get old.

Keep in mind the cost of ink. An empty or standing printer is a bad sign, ink goes bad with time and a new set of cartridges may cost hundreds.

$300 for a used 7800 Epson. 400.00 for a new ink set. Now your ready to make your first print to see if it works.

I have an Epson 7800 in South Eastern Washington that I will give free to a good home. I've been printing with it but need to make room for a new P20000.

Back