Canvas Float

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Tourist acrylic from Cuba, with skimpy edges. Reverse-beveled Mount Cor backing behind painting, attached to a white mat backing. Deepened the LJ frame by ripping the rabbet from a same-width black and attaching to the back. The painting is about 18 x 24.

IMG_1790 (2).JPG

IMG_1796 (2).JPG

(For most thinly-edged paintings, we attach Beva strips and stretch.)

Very clever Shayla, that really elevates an inexpensive tourist piece to another level. I have a several small African paintings that suffer from those same narrow margins that would make stretching difficult. I was considering dry mounting with Fusion 4000 but your float mount has me seeing them in a new light.

Very clever Shayla, that really elevates an inexpensive tourist piece to another level. I have a several small African paintings that suffer from those same narrow margins that would make stretching difficult. I was considering dry mounting with Fusion 4000 but your float mount has me seeing them in a new light.

As long as the medium can take that temp, a Fusion 4000 mount would allow for future reversals. In this case, they plan to keep as is, so MountCor at 130 worked great.

Interesting idea to incorporate the border material as a part of the image. It tells a little story about the primitive approach and methods used to create the painting.
When floating, I usually decribe the effect to the customer as, "treating the piece as an object, beyond just the image."

I think it takes a leap of faith on the customer's part to accept this approach on an item like this (as opposed to, say, a drawing or print on a piece of deckled art paper),
but it works very effectively for this.

:cool: Rick

Just did another one, so adding here. Tourist art on crooked fabric.

framing float with raw edges nov 2019 resized.jpg
framing float with raw edges detail.jpg

Very matte paint, maybe tempera? I wouldn't do this with acrylic or oil. Mounted art to Mount Cor, and a black mat to Canvas MountCor. Then, glued the mounted painting to black mat, covered all with foam core, and dried with full-coverage weights. (If your painting has any surface relief, important to preserve that. These paintings were both flat, without paint bumps. Museum glass with spacers. Inside of Omega frame is around 24 x 34".

Will regular Mount-Cor hold to canvas or is there a canvas version?

They make canvas MountCor, for that purpose, in both 32 x 40 and 40 x 60. As noted in the above post, I haven't used it for an acrylic or oil. Too risky, for a few reasons. Seems like melty things could melt, and paintings of any real worth should usually be stretched. I mounted this in a way mentioned by Chris Paschke, where the backing platform is straight-cut out of the larger piece of foam core, uncovered, and tacked with an iron. It's then placed back into the foam core surround and mounted. Perhaps not necessary, but I add a couple pieces of painters tape to the back underside, holding insert to surround.

Important to note that mounting with this product creates a permanent bond. Also, still no rag surface available, but this year they changed the adhesive on all MountCor to acid-free. Not for heirlooms, but for its uses, it's great.

Back