Can a print on Hahnemeühle FineArt Baryta Satin 300 gsm be mounted to Trulife?

theotheo

Grumbler in Training
The gallery in New York says yes. The people in Chicago say no. When the photographic series was shown in 2013 all the prints were mounted to optium and floated in a frame.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, theotheo. Sounds like perhaps you're a photographer who face mounts to acrylic.
I've heard of Optium, but don't know what Trulife is. Is it another kind of acrylic?

Also, who are the people in Chicago? :popc:

Hi, theotheo. Sounds like perhaps you're a photographer who face mounts to acrylic.
I've heard of Optium, but don't know what Trulife is. Is it another kind of acrylic?

Also, who are the people in Chicago? :popc:

Actually I bought this print from a gallery in NYC, I'm not a photographer. It's from the Darkened Cities series by Thierry Cohen. The people in chicago are Lamin8.

Trulife is just like optium, same company, safe stuff, it's just specifically made for face mounting. It's the same quality as optium, just serves a different purpose.

No, it won't work. We use TruLife and standard acrylic. The procedure is the same for both.

We do facemounts all day long and we need the print to be on smooth surface unlike the papers you mentioned.

I hate to say it but the people in NY are wrong.

Yes, like Shayla, I would have to ask who are the people in Chicago. Are they conservators? Are the people at the Gallery conservators, doubtful? I would definitely get information from someone trained and with the knowledge of the paper and different acrylics before I would do any Direct Contact Overlays (facemounts).

Last edited:
No, it won't work. We use TruLife and standard acrylic. The procedure is the same for both.

We do facemounts all day long and we need the print to be on smooth surface unlike the papers you mentioned.

I hate to say it but the people in NY are wrong.

Here's what they said it should look like.
Thierry Cohen_Downtown London_Top Left Corner.jpeg

Full LOndon 2.jpeg
Full London.jpeg

Yes, like Shayla, who are the people in Chicago.
The people who say it can't be done are Lamin8. They are part of the art mill group. The Framer's I'm working with are working hard to find someone who can do this.

I don't know much/anything about Lamin-8 or Seaburg Picture Framing so I cannot comment. Maybe Lamin-8 or Seaburg has had experience, good or bad, with this paper so they may be speaking with experience.

Speaking for myself, before I would frame it, as a framer and if I had a concern, I would contact a conservator about framing this piece to get their recommendation about the framing.

By the way, beautiful print :thumbsup:

I was talking about something I didn't really understand. I thought that face mounting was attaching to the photo/print to the backing acrylic or whatever backing was being used and then acrylic was overlayed on the front of the art without attachment. My bad - I don't know if a conservator would have any comments about it. Sorry for the confusion on my side.

I'm gonna pass on the mounting. We did find someone to do it, they said it's just very important there be no humidity, but on reflection I think edge to edge in a thin frame is the way to go. Thanks for all your advice

Back