• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Brittle leaf

Springlock by Craft Inc

bobtnailer

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Howdy, y'all!

I have an interesting project request...

We've been asked to frame / box the leaf in the attached picture. It measures about 17" x 14" in total.

As you can doubtless tell by the color, it is dry and brittle.

It also has varied elevations. Parts of it are close to 2" away from the table where I took these photos. Even the stem is almost 1/2" higher than the table where it meets the leafy part (this is the side she wants showing).

Is there a way to prep and frame this so that it doesn't break apart in the framing process, or in the future? Or does this become one of those "sorry, but we can't do this" things?

TIA!!

Cody

Note: I read the thread about the tobacco leaf, but I wondered whether anyone has thought of additional methods to mount it since then. Although conservation isn't the goal with this piece, I would like for it to hold up for at least a few years. In any case, I will have a caveat on the invoice stating that we cannot guarantee that it will last past the time it leaves our store.

Attachments

• ~ leaf.jpg
    ~ leaf.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 7
  • ~ leaf 2.jpg
    ~ leaf 2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
At least this is a good time of year to find some sacrificial leaves to practice on.

I would gather up some of these, let them dry out and begin to crumble and then try rehydrating them - see if that works. If they become pliable you could then flatten them between blotting paper and then frame using a DCO technique.

I am sure other ideas will arise for you.

Good luck!

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
What is the story behind this? As in, how much sentimental value is there

I would be tempted to glue the heck out of it. Maybe have a gel solution to encase it fully. Not sure how I would go about that to be honest.

If it has high emotional value, I would probably decline the job

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
There are places that do resin encapsulation and that would preserve the leaf almost eternally.
The logistics of getting the leaf to them in one piece is another matter.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Nikodeumus

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Here's a maple leaf I did several years ago.
The frame measures 19x27 inches.
The customer brought the leaf to me already flattened and thoroughly dried.
I did nothing to the leaf. No treatments, no sprays, no steaming, etc.

I stitched it right where the leaf branches out from the stem for mechanical support.
Then I used a few rice starch glue dots along the stem and in one or two places along each of the main veins of the leaf.
When a leaf is left to decompose in the open air, the vein structure is always the last part to break down.
I reasoned that the veins are the strongest and somewhat less brittle part of the leaf, so would be the "best" attachment points.

I have never heard back from the family that had me do this project. So don't know what the long-term results have been.
I did let them know that I could not guarantee the leaf wouldn't continue to degrade/decompose over time.

Maple Leaf 19x27 inches LR.jpg

Along Frame John

Grumbler in Training
You could dilute Jade-r with water or maybe alcohol and brush a thin coat on the reverse. It will make it a little shiny (which is why you should do it on the back) but that stuff is pretty strong. It should help

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
I keep thinking about this brittle leaf. Maybe you could use the approach used by insect collectors. Make a nice deep bed of fluffy cotton and set the leaf down on it with a piece of glass to hold everything in place. I have done this with butterflies. Works great.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
You might also ask if they're interested in framing a photo of it. It's a great image.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding
Register for the picture framer's grumble
picture framing clamps by MasterClamp 2021