Boston Celtics Jayson Tatum Signed Jersey framed

cherronLF

True Grumbler
Business
Legit Framing
Boston Celtics Jayson Tatum Signed Jersey framed in a 30x36 black wood frame. Styrene front, (2) player photos, Celtics mascot and logo patches, double matted in team colors, and player nameplate with Circuited CELTICS below.

Background is a vinyl sticker with a parquet style flooring image similar to the Boston Garden floor stuck to the foamboard.

Attachments

• Resized_20220926_182046.jpeg
    Resized_20220926_182046.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,781
Looking snappy! May I ask why you use styrene over acrylic however? I heard it turns yellow and extremely brittle with light exposure.
Thank you. At this point, it comes down to cost. Would love to find a local shop that I can get plexi-glass from because every time I had plexi-glass shipped to me it would be damaged during transit. Plus styrene is cheaper. If I can get plex-glass local and at a decent price, I would have no issues changing.

I got curious about styrene vs acrylic.

A few links of interest:

As with any sign substrate, the quality of core raw materials utilized in manufacturing is key. The components used in making sign facer styrene have properties such as whiteness and opacity that can affect how UV light interacts with the polymers of the material. Higher quality materials assist in creating a more substantial barrier that protects against light permeation below the face of the styrene, leading to photodegradation and rapid yellowing.
Yellowing in films of polystyrene and poly(styrene-altmethyl methacrylate) induced by 254-nm radiation in vacuum and in air has been investigated by absorption and emission spectroscopy. In polystyrene, yellowing is more rapid in air than in vacuum; species related to 1,3-diphenyl-1,3-hutadiene are major emissive contributors to yellowing. Photooxidation produces diene and species related to 1-phenyl-1,3-butanedione which quenches excimer in the polymer. Poly(styrene-alt-methyl methacrylate) initially yellows more rapidly than polystyrene. Rates of yellowing are greater in vacuum than in air and decrease with time. Yellowing is caused by species related to 1,5-diphenyl-1,3,5-hexatriene. Photolysis and photooxidation of the triene reduce the rate of yellowing. Fluorescence quenching occurs at the same rate in vacuum and air and may result from ketones formed by inter-unit interaction within the copolymer.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I got curious about styrene vs acrylic.

A few links of interest:

As with any sign substrate, the quality of core raw materials utilized in manufacturing is key. The components used in making sign facer styrene have properties such as whiteness and opacity that can affect how UV light interacts with the polymers of the material. Higher quality materials assist in creating a more substantial barrier that protects against light permeation below the face of the styrene, leading to photodegradation and rapid yellowing.
Yellowing in films of polystyrene and poly(styrene-altmethyl methacrylate) induced by 254-nm radiation in vacuum and in air has been investigated by absorption and emission spectroscopy. In polystyrene, yellowing is more rapid in air than in vacuum; species related to 1,3-diphenyl-1,3-hutadiene are major emissive contributors to yellowing. Photooxidation produces diene and species related to 1-phenyl-1,3-butanedione which quenches excimer in the polymer. Poly(styrene-alt-methyl methacrylate) initially yellows more rapidly than polystyrene. Rates of yellowing are greater in vacuum than in air and decrease with time. Yellowing is caused by species related to 1,5-diphenyl-1,3,5-hexatriene. Photolysis and photooxidation of the triene reduce the rate of yellowing. Fluorescence quenching occurs at the same rate in vacuum and air and may result from ketones formed by inter-unit interaction within the copolymer.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Appreciate the information! I always tell my customers that the styrene is not stop UV light and that the frame should be placed in a room that doesnt get a lot of UV light.

Ive been keeping my eye on pricing for UV resistant plexi but those prices are expensive for 30x36 sizes.

Appreciate the information! I always tell my customers that the styrene is not stop UV light and that the frame should be placed in a room that doesnt get a lot of UV light.

Ive been keeping my eye on pricing for UV resistant plexi but those prices are expensive for 30x36 sizes.
You could try offering the option as an experiment, and see how it goes. It took me quite awhile to start offering Museum glass, and even longer to offer Museum acrylic. I figured that no one would pay for it, but finally realized that's up to them. So, I began offering it. Now, around 20% of our orders are Museum. If you price it high enough to be worth your while (including shipping, etc...), you can share it as an option, and it's up to them. No need to apologize, either, because it is what it is. They'll still be free to choose a lower grade, if they want.

You could try offering the option as an experiment, and see how it goes. It took me quite awhile to start offering Museum glass, and even longer to offer Museum acrylic. I figured that no one would pay for it, but finally realized that's up to them. So, I began offering it. Now, around 20% of our orders are Museum. If you price it high enough to be worth your while (including shipping, etc...), you can share it as an option, and it's up to them. No need to apologize, either, because it is what it is. They'll still be free to choose a lower grade, if they want.
Agreed. Need to find a good place to source the plexi-glass from. Have no issues offering it as an option to my customers but if it cant ship without being damaged, to my location, then all it does is add unneeded stress to the project. Been working on updating my FB page to present these different options but Im also due for surgery in October for my Crohns Disease so its been a bit hectic to say the least.

I also had "price hesitancy" when I first started, and felt that customers wouldn't want the higher-priced options nearly as much as the budget offerings.
I recently did an analysis of my glazing sales over the past year and was surprised to see that "regular" glass sold less than the more premium offerings.

I also analyzed the prices of glazing after the recent Larson Juhl price updates just a few days ago.
True Vue Premium Clear 32x40 sheet went up by about 35%
TV Conservation Clear 32x40 went up about 11%
TV Premium Acrylic 32x40 went up about 23%
TV Conservation Clear 32x40 went up about 34%
TV Museum was the lowest increase at only 9%
TV Optium was the highest at 41% !

In order to keep operating costs down, I may offer fewer selections of glazing.
If I do that, I would likely reduce the "regular" product, as it sells less than the other types I offer.
Going to consider that for a bit longer.

I have avoided using actual dollar amounts as that varies from region to region and various distributors, and this is a publicly accessible thread.
The point is that as cherronLF's concerns over cost are felt by all of us.

I also had "price hesitancy" when I first started, and felt that customers wouldn't want the higher-priced options nearly as much as the budget offerings.
I recently did an analysis of my glazing sales over the past year and was surprised to see that "regular" glass sold less than the more premium offerings.

I also analyzed the prices of glazing after the recent Larson Juhl price updates just a few days ago.
True Vue Premium Clear 32x40 sheet went up by about 35%
TV Conservation Clear 32x40 went up about 11%
TV Premium Acrylic 32x40 went up about 23%
TV Conservation Clear 32x40 went up about 34%
TV Museum was the lowest increase at only 9%
TV Optium was the highest at 41% !

Was that a Canada only event? The prices I pay for acrylic (I only buy the 48x96 size) haven't changed since the February US Price List.

Was that a Canada only event? The prices I pay for acrylic (I only buy the 48x96 size) haven't changed since the February US Price List.
I believe LJ Canada only.
We did get notification from our reps ahead of time:
A quote from the email notification last week:
"A reminder to make sure ALL orders are placed before Midnight September 25 to get 2021 Pricing Orders must be completed and placed in our system.
A great time to look at your inventory of Foamboard, Production and Premium Glass - these items have a high increase."
I did order extra glass and foam before the price hike.

Price updates just came into FrameReady now.
I checked a sample of 5 random mat codes.
Increases from 6% up to 15%.
LJ Artique increases are lower than Bainbridge and Crescent.

We are franken-threading from the original post pretty far. we should move pricing discussions back to other threads on that topic.

Back