Big Mirror Held Up By Paint?

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
If you stick a big heavy mirror to a wall with mirror mastic, isn't it really just stuck to the wall paint? Know of any big mirror/frames that have fallen when the paint came off the wall?

CHolt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Refer to the application instructions for the mastic. A quick search turned up a mastic that adheres to wood, drywall and cement but didn't mention whether painted or not, but I didn't read it thoroughly. Most building products offer technical advise by phone. I would give that a try if you couldn't get the answer otherwise.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
The common sense rule plays here. But if you were in-doubt you could drill small holes in the wall to give the mastic extra tooth by penetrating into the holes, therefore giving it major holding properties. ( wall will be damaged by the mastic anyway)
This is done when wanting to hang items on mirrors, by siliconing acrylic made mounts to mirrors. ( holes drilled in the acrylic ) Another option would be to mastic the mirror to raw plywood, then French cleat to the wall. This way the mirror can be easily removed in case of breakage.

Last edited:

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
When I was approached by a local bridal boutique to provide some huge mirrors for their shop I handballed the job to my glass supplier. Some jobs are better left to the experts.

David Hewitt

Forum Donor
Agree, on big stuff or extremely difficult installs of mirrors, we worked closely with a glass company. They had the trucks, crew and expertise. Many times they would deliver the mirror to us, we would do our part, then they would pick up and install, usually I would accommodate them with the install. We had a great working relationship, and we learned a lot from each other over the years.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
When I was approached by a local bridal boutique to provide some huge mirrors for their shop I handballed the job to my glass supplier. Some jobs are better left to the experts.
Agreed, and I'm good with staying in my lane.

I told her that we'd make the frame, but someone else would have to hang it. Just trying to plan our part to work well with it.

realhotglass

It's generally ok, most wall paint is sound . . . but you never know in such a situation.
I'd use (non acetic) neutral cure silicone (this is probably what they call mirror mastic ?), and really push for a top and bottom batten at least.
The mirror edges can be FEP (polished) on the verticals, seamed on the hidden top and bottom edges, saving a swag of edgework cost, depending on size.

I told her that we'd make the frame, but someone else would have to hang it.

So it's not fixed to the wall, but in a frame ?
Is the mirror glass flush to the back to be stuck down, or is the frame being stuck to the wall ?
If the frame, I'd use a couple of big keyhole plates on the top stile, provided the bottom is resting on the ground.
Keyhole plates will provide a flush finish, as close as you can get with a frame.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
It's generally ok, most wall paint is sound
Some great info in your post but I do have a question here - doesn't it all depend upon the weight of the mirror/item being framed/hung? I sure as heck would not hesitate calling you because your information sounds "sound" and I am not a pro when it comes to installing items of weight.

Last edited:

realhotglass

doesn't it all depend upon the weight of the mirror/item being framed?

Hi Joe, definitely !

But as noted, such a mirror should be resting on the floor / skirting board securely, or a plinth at whatever height, taking the weight.
All the silicone does is hold it to the wall, stops it from tilting / pivoting forward, there is very little force involved in that.

As mentioned, I think having that top and bottom batten is really worth having, long term security / safety.

Then Shayla mentions making a frame in her last post ?
Kind of confused things, as mirrors are usually glued to a wall, as in frameless, or fitted in a frame as per usual methods, then (in this scenario) the frame is fixed to the wall.
Cleats are good, solid French cleats are easily made, or some good heavy duty keyhole plates, using heavy duty wall plugs / anchors, and suitable size screws / screw heads.

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
No pro here, but IME paint does not want to let go of the substrate. Sure, there have to be anomalies, but in general, sticking to the paint is the same as sticking to the drywall paper which is the same as sticking to pulverized rock. IOW, as long as properly done, a mastic-adhered mirror has less chance of falling off the wall than a penguin dying from lack of oxygen.