Big Felt Circle

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
45" Circle of thick homemade felt, and customer wants to hang unframed, with the whole thing showing. With woven fabric before, we've made a wooden strainer covered with foam core and batting and wrapped it around, but felt is such a different animal. Would it respond well to stitching with thread, or would they just pull out? I can also ask her, as she led the workshop, but what say you? :coffeedrinker2:

Depends on the structural integrity of the textile.
Felt also runs the gambit from very loosely compacted to rigid enough to make Stetson hats.
Just too many unknowns to be helpful, so all I got left is glib...

Definitely ask the artist. Maybe she has had similar items mounted before and knows the best way to go about it. At the very least she will be able to tell you how the fabric is likely to respond. My biggest concern would be the fabric sagging as gravity works on it.

Of course, being an artist, it is quite possible she never gave any thought to the "How" of it ;)

....Of course, being an artist, it is quite possible she never gave any thought to the "How" of it ;)
That's exactly what she said this afternoon. 'I had so much fun making it; I didn't even think about how it would be displayed.' :)

I told her what we could do, and also suggested she check with a local upholsterer/tailor/etc... who is very skilled.
Could be, she'll find a great, simple solution for a lot less. But she can always come back, if she wants.

Dodged a bullet on that one!!

I'm at an age where I just plain don't want to do the weird stuff anymore. Too much of a waste of time when I can make more money working on quicker turnaround pieces.

If they don't mind protecting it a bit, it could be sandwiched between (DCO) 2 layers of circular acrylic and mounted with standoffs. if they can spring for Optium for the outer layer, even better. Just need to find someone willing to cut a couple big acrylic circles.

My thought would be to stitch it to a piece of canvas that is larger than the piece leaving a bit of the edges unstitched using a curved needle. I would sew it all over throughout the center of the piece to spread out the weight, but only going through the back layers. You could then get Rian to make a round stretcher slightly smaller than the circle and stretch the canvas around it. This only works if there is enough stability in the felt to support it this way.

If she doesn't want to pay you for your time, have her get some canvas and bring it back when it's sewn on.

James

I've stitched quite a few felt pieces (I also do felting, so I understand how it is constructed). I sew all around the edges, then in the middle to support it- not in a nice neat line, sort of scatter the stitches in the middle. If you turn it face down and it sags, you need more. I sew through the piece- you can manipulate the fibers to make the stitches disappear. I use a fine 4 lb clear fishing line for smaller pieces, you can go to a heavier line as needed. Fishing line sounds strange, but it's inert. I always try to let people know putting fabric under glass or plexi is better- no matter how clean your house is- the art will get dirty.

My thought would be to stitch it to a piece of canvas that is larger than the piece leaving a bit of the edges unstitched using a curved needle. I would sew it all over throughout the center of the piece to spread out the weight, but only going through the back layers. You could then get Rian to make a round stretcher slightly smaller than the circle and stretch the canvas around it. This only works if there is enough stability in the felt to support it this way.

If she doesn't want to pay you for your time, have her get some canvas and bring it back when it's sewn on.

James
James, thank you for the referral. Yes, we can create a stretcher frame in just about any shape. All we need is a tracing, pattern or drawing.

Back