Before & After

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
First is how it came in, second is new look. Feel free to share your own favorites. :)

framing cherry trees  may 2017 original resizd IMG_8146 (2).jpg
framing cherry trees  may 2017 original resizd IMG_8146 (2).jpg
framing cherry trees final may 2017 resized IMG_8163 (3).jpg

Reframe is a stack of Fotiou inside Nurre Caxton. Window is around 22 x 28.

Yup, you aced it. I looked at the first shot a few times, then the re-do, then back. The old look is so bad I avoided looking at the framing. It ruined the image. The new job exalts the image. Did you change the glass?

Yup, you aced it. I looked at the first shot a few times, then the re-do, then back. The old look is so bad I avoided looking at the framing. It ruined the image. The new job exalts the image. Did you change the glass?

Yes. She's done a lot of framing and usually gets con clear. With this, we traded to Museum as a gift. She was so happy with it. :)

Another design I showed had a softer visual impact on the outside, and I liked it. But this is good, too.

Oops! Just now saw that I posted the before twice. Oh, well...

Yeah, I kept looking at the first post and the second post and hadn't scrolled down to the third post.
I kept thinking that there's almost nothing different. Sort of looking for Waldo.
THEN I scrolled down and WOWZER!!
Night & day.

GreyDrakkon, that is a definite improvement. :thumbsup:
Nice colour choices.

Yup, sometimes you can totally tell what decade a frame package was made.
It's interesting to see how some colour and decorating trends go in decades-long cycles.

I heard that NEON is back in the fashion industry.
Anybody else hiding some of this in the back of a closet?
1597093411654.png

Gosh Help us ALL! o_O:shrug:

Last edited:
I have taken a few before and after pics, but I'll keep myself from spamming and just post the first one I found. Judging from the turquoise for no reason, I think it had been framed in the 80's.

Feel free to share more. We like seeing before & afters. :beer:

grey frame is what it came in wearing, blue frame is the new frame from Chester Frame Co.

Attachments

• image183-before.jpg
    image183-before.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 48
  • image183-after.jpg
    image183-after.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 48
Matthew, did the frame come with the blue/orange colours?
The frame colours match the artwork colours so closely, it seems remarkable they would be that close by accident.
Did you colour the frame yourself? If so, what method did you use?

Matthew, did the frame come with the blue/orange colours?
The frame colours match the artwork colours so closely, it seems remarkable they would be that close by accident.
Did you colour the frame yourself? If so, what method did you use?
Those are stock colors from Chester Frame Co - they just happened to be a perfect match for the art!
Here's another case where a Chester frame was the perfect choice.

Last edited:
Updating an out of date gold frame, the glass got cracked, so might as well update while it's being "operated" on.

Went with a simple Brownstone Mahogany moulding.
Matt stayed the same. A wider matt would probably look better, but not in budget.
The matt colours still work with the art piece, and the new frame.
Upgraded frame old fuzzy RefControl to UltraVue glazing.

17.jpg
15.jpg

11.jpg
13.jpg

Removed old cardboard backer, cut new AFfoam board.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered under the cardboard that the dyed silk artwork was STAPLED to a piece of Bristol Board!!!! o_O :eek:

09.jpg
07.jpg
05.jpg

Do you think this was done by a professional framer, or an artist who just didn't know any better? :soapbox:

I didn't make any changes to the artwork, that wasn't in the original plan, and the customers budget won't allow for all the work and cost that would entail.
I will advise her of the poor quaility mounting, but am sure she won't bother changing it.
Oh well :shrug:

If that gold frame is a standard size it is probably a readymade from a BB. So I would blame the artist, unless it is a tourist treasure, in which case I would blame the customer.

Silk piece looks nice. And the frame is quite the improvement.

If that gold frame is a standard size it is probably a readymade from a BB. So I would blame the artist, unless it is a tourist treasure, in which case I would blame the customer.

Silk piece looks nice. And the frame is quite the improvement.
Yes, it is a very beautiful art piece.
I have never seen this style of dyed silk artwork before.
Does anybody know if there is a name for that kind of work?

After I read your post I re-examined the old frame.
The frame size is 32x36, I don't think that's a very common size.

The package was held in with brad nails, not flexi-points, or turn buttons, it doesn't appear to be a pre-fab store-bought frame.
So that leads me to think it was custom framed.

My best guess is that the original customer brought the piece already staple-mounted to a framer, and they did what they could for someone on a budget.
The silk art piece is in surprisingly good condition, given its poor treatment.
Although, even with a double matt some portions had stuck to the glass.
It came off without damage.

We've all had this scenario happen:
Someone wants to save some money so tries to do part of the work themselves, not understanding what they are doing may not be a good idea.
Example:
I just had a lady yesterday bring me a small 9x9 printed canvas that she tried to glue to a piece of flimsy slip paper that comes in a factory frame.
Surprise! The glue warped the canvas where it was unevenly applied.

Now it comes to me to try to "rescue" it, and do a proper custom framing job.
All I can do is try to scrape off as much of the glue as possible and then dry mount it to Mountcor.
Some of the glue spots may show through, but oh well, nothing can be done about it now.
Someone trying to DIY frame an item is not going to shell out extra $$ to pay a conservator.
And this is just an inexpensive digital canvas print (i refuse to call these cheap canvas prints Giclee), not worth a conservator's time.

Hmmm. Customer may have bought the silk piece from the artist already stapled onto the crappy cardboard.

When in doubt, always blame the artist! They know not what they do.

Speaking of silk and staples, a customer brought in a captured flag that his grandfather brought back. A "family friend" was concerned with it being all stained, so they had thrown it in the washing machine and then stapled it onto paper covered cardboard and stuffed it into a walmart frame. >_>

The framing I did for it isn't anything to brag about, he wanted a super skinny black frame and that's all that would do, but he did spring for me to painstakingly unfold all those little balled up bits of silk using light steam and a linen cloth to sandwich it as it unfolded to take out the creases. The first couple pics show what shape it was in before, the last pic shows just how much of the flag was hiding in in little fabric balls.

Attachments

• FlagDamaged.jpg
    FlagDamaged.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 31
  • FlagStapled.jpg
    FlagStapled.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 30
  • FlagUnfolded.jpg
    FlagUnfolded.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 31
Yeah I almost screamed when he said that. Apparently it was "stained and smelled". Yes, that happens when you capture a flag in a war...

Thanks! Like I said, it took quite a while, but I'm the kind of person that as a kid when visiting grandma they'd plonk me in front of her jewelry box to untangle all the necklaces. For the silk, once it relaxed with the steam is was pretty easy to tease open with tweezers. It was nerve wracking the first 20 times I did it, but after that I started to get a feel for it. ;)

Speaking of silk and staples, a customer brought in a captured flag that his grandfather brought back. A "family friend" was concerned with it being all stained, so they had thrown it in the washing machine and then stapled it onto paper covered cardboard and stuffed it into a walmart frame. >_>

The framing I did for it isn't anything to brag about, he wanted a super skinny black frame and that's all that would do, but he did spring for me to painstakingly unfold all those little balled up bits of silk using light steam and a linen cloth to sandwich it as it unfolded to take out the creases. The first couple pics show what shape it was in before, the last pic shows just how much of the flag was hiding in in little fabric balls.
Wow, you went above and beyond with that. Nicely done. 👍

but I'm the kind of person that as a kid when visiting grandma they'd plonk me in front of her jewelry box to untangle all the necklaces.

I am gonna hafta remember to tell people when I get old and crotchety to set me down in front of a bowl of beads or tangled necklaces so I can sort everything and I'll be happy all day. LOL

I am gonna hafta remember to tell people when I get old and crotchety to set me down in front of a bowl of beads or tangled necklaces so I can sort everything and I'll be happy all day. LOL

In my family, it's tins and jars full of screws, bolts, nuts, and nails
My Dad inherited the collection from his Dad, and I'll be getting them someday. 🙃

I've watched over the years as my Dad has sorted many of the bits and pieces from Granddad's scattered rolling tobacco tins, into empty jars, and now he's sorting them into actual parts caddies merging them with his own horde of "treeeaasures"

giphy.gif
🤣

He's the guy everybody in the neighborhood goes to when looking for that one weird piece of hardware that can't be found in a tiny village with no hardware store.

What's that? You need a 3/16" thick 3/4"round copper washer with a 1/8" inner diameter hole: "Hmmmm...let's see here....(*rummage *rummage *clank *clatter) yup here's one!"

It's kind of cathartic to just sit down and sort tiny things into separate piles. I sorted a bunch of bit's n' bobs myself about a month ago.
I needed 8-3" nails, I had 7 in a bag. No WAY was I going to go buy 1 nail!! So....3 hours later I've sorted 2 peanut butter jars of miscellaneous parts until I finally found that 1 nail I needed to complete a job that took 10 minutes to do.
VICTORY!!
unnamed.png

OMG - we are twins!

I love sorting stuff into those little plastic boxes with all the compartments. Or the little plastic drawers in the metal cabinets. And peanut butter jars! Yes! Yes! Yes!

I will never go to the hardware store to buy one nail, or one screw, or one washer, or one bolt. I know I simply must have one somewhere in this dang house!

I think the soothing aspect about sorting screws and beads and such is that they are all definitely able to be categorized. Unlike my horse figurines, which I keep sorting and re-sorting because the mid century modern figurines are all different colors and I keep changing my mind on which color names they should have. Like out celadon/mint green/seafoam discussion a while back. Even books and music and movies are more difficult to place into categories. Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats - is this a cat book, a poetry book, or a picture book?

OMG - we are twins!

I love sorting stuff into those little plastic boxes with all the compartments. Or the little plastic drawers in the metal cabinets. And peanut butter jars! Yes! Yes! Yes!

I will never go to the hardware store to buy one nail, or one screw, or one washer, or one bolt. I know I simply must have one somewhere in this dang house!

I think the soothing aspect about sorting screws and beads and such is that they are all definitely able to be categorized. Unlike my horse figurines, which I keep sorting and re-sorting because the mid century modern figurines are all different colors and I keep changing my mind on which color names they should have. Like out celadon/mint green/seafoam discussion a while back. Even books and music and movies are more difficult to place into categories. Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats - is this a cat book, a poetry book, or a picture book?
Oh, I hear ya!
I re-categorize my book collection every few years.
Nobody else ever sees them but me, what does it matter?
It matters to ME! 😆

Back