• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Become the new owner of the Grumble

John Ranes II CPF GCF

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Bill,

I would first like to say thank you for all that you provided as an industry vehicle for communication... most great, some strange, but always fun and interesting. I agree with Jim Miller in that this forum was great for data searches on topics and much more of a resources than the popular FaceBook forums that have developed in the past two years.

I though that Larry Peterson would have made a good new owner or Mike Labbe (Keep it in New England) - I think that they are both great suggestions for new owners, but as Bill has hinted, the passion for carrying this on must be a prerequisite. Now as I glance back over the posts, I see that Mike has taken the reigns... and I think this is fantastic news.

I promise to revisit this forum more often than I have in the past year.... PROMISE!

Best wishes to you Bill as you "Retire".

John

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I gave some serious consideration to being MrG but a number of factors including available time and my age were among the serious negative factors.

I'm so glad that Mike has taken this on. I don't think I could have lived with the guilt if theG shut down. Well maybe, but I would have been sad to see it go.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Voluntary subscriptions might work well. With the challenge of shrinking membership due partly to other 'free' social media access, it might be a trick getting new folks to pay to play. But those who've been around awhile might be happy to help. Voluntary donations means unpredictable income, but it also allows anyone to take part freely, and it saves the owner the onus of sending out renewal pleas. Is it possible to have a running open account for donations?

Register for the picture framer's grumble

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Wow, that's almost what I proposed in a thread 5 months ago..
My post...

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 10.51.25 PM.png

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
Thanks Bill!
Welcome, Mike!

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
This is wonderful news!
Kudos to Bill for his many years of providing the Grumble, and to Mike for keeping it going.

Now, what can we all do to help make it a more meaningful forum for our industry?
A couple of ideas already mentioned:
1. "Grumbler" tags for name badges at WCAF Expo
2. Members can refer to The Grumble in other forums, especially the excellent archives. I suggest attaching links as often as possible.

What else ya got?
:beer:

CB Art & Framing

How about negotiating a special discount or monthly deal from 1 or more vendors. Post "Code" on Grumble to encourage more visits.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

MnSue

Best news of 2020...the Grumble will continue, and is in great hands with Mike L taking over.

Bill, thank you for your years of support, efforts, and time to our industry. As I novice framer, nearly 20 years ago, the G was my go to for solid learning and information. through all the trials and tribulations, it was (and will continue to be) a very valuable resource. If I could I'd nominate you for the Industries Service Award. Hats off...and I hope the next chapter in your life is fabulous!!!! Thank you...

Mike...the G tradition continues. Thank you for stepping up. You have been closely associated with the G since...well...forever! We, the industry, will be the gracious beneficiaries of you new reign.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
OK, time to put your money where.................................

I started a GoFundMe account titled Retirement for GrumbleBill and have seeded it with $25.00.

You can access it at https://www.gofundme.com/f/retireme...edium=copy_link&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

Show your appreciation for all Bill has done for us over the years and make a donation for his retirement.

Bill is probably going to say he doesn't want it. I DON"T CARE.

He is going to get it. If he doesn't want to drink or spend it, he might pass it along to MikeL.

Either way it is for a good cause. Either paying it backwards or forwards. Bill's choice.

PS, I promise not to rip it off to fund my own retirement. I'm going to frame till I drop anyway.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Most importantly, we have Bill McKay to THANK for providing this excellent resource for the past 22 years. When we opened our shop in 2002, it was a truly invaluable resource. Framers freely helping others, sharing their knowledge and experience, without personal gain. I learned a lot more than I shared over the years, on the Grumble. I have always felt that was ahead of its time, and changed the industry in a very positive way. No other framing resource has the search facility or access to such a wealth of information that has been been accumulated over the past couple decades. I find myself often searching the archives, for advice or technical information. When help is needed, an answer is freely given in short order.

I think it would be a terrible loss if this went away, and that it should continue into the future.

So many supportive and encouraging emails were received. Wally, Greg, and Ylva were key players to make this happen, and will be closely involved with the future success of the forum.

This forum is about THE MEMBERS, not about the facilitators, and your help and participation will be needed for it to have continued success. The forum support team volunteers will be available to help with any forum technical support questions, and to encourage (but not stifle) participation. Some improvements will gradually be added in the coming months, including HTTPS secure connections, an improved smartphone experience, a facelift to some of the graphics, and a new server. We will strive to make it easier for new members to create an account, and to get assistance if needed. The improvements will start in February.

In time, we hope to gain sponsors so the forum will be self supportive and so it can continue as the same free resource. There are NO plans to have membership fees.

The transition will happen next month, once the WCAF show has passed.

Last edited:

tedh

Larry: great move!

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

D_Derbonne

PFG, Picture Framing God
Even though I'm not in the framing industry anymore I am happy to see The Grumble will go on.
It was a valuable resource for me when I had my business.

Thanks to framer for running it for all these years! and thanks to Mike for taking over.

triplechip

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Most importantly, we have Bill McKay to THANK for providing this excellent resource for the past 22 years. When we opened our shop in 2002, it was a truly invaluable resource. Framers freely helping others, sharing their knowledge and experience, without personal gain. I learned a lot more than I shared over the years, on the Grumble. I have always felt that was ahead of its time, and changed the industry in a very positive way. No other framing resource has the search facility or access to such a wealth of information that has been been accumulated over the past couple decades. I find myself often searching the archives, for advice or technical information. When help is needed, an answer is freely given in short order.

I think it would be a terrible loss if this went away, and that it should continue into the future.

So many supportive and encouraging emails were received. Wally, Greg, and Ylva were key players to make this happen, and will be closely involved with the future success of the forum.

This forum is about THE MEMBERS, not about the facilitators, and your help and participation will be needed for it to have continued success. The forum support team volunteers will be available to help with any forum technical support questions, and to encourage (but not stifle) participation. Some improvements will gradually be added in the coming months, including HTTPS secure connections, an improved smartphone experience, a facelift to some of the graphics, and a new server. We will strive to make it easier for new members to create an account, and to get assistance if needed. The improvements will start in February.

In time, we hope to gain sponsors so the forum will be self supportive and so it can continue as the same free resource. There are NO plans to have membership fees.

The transition will happen next month, once the WCAF show has passed.
Hi Mike,
My company was a sponsor on the Grumble for many years. We would like to get back on and sponsor a banner somewhere on the Grumble.

Let me know where to sign up. We will have a booth at the WCAF show in Las Vegas. Stop by and we can get things rolling.

And thanks to Bill for letting us be a part of this great forum.

Bill Zickel
President
W.D. Quinn Saw Co.

echavez123

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Again, Thank You Bill for your long standing work and patience. And shouting out a big Yahooo to Mike for stepping up. I am also open to contributing an annual fee for participating in this awesome resource - heck, sometimes its just worth it for the entertainment :)

Ernesto

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
What Bill created decades okay is enormous. This was my first framers home and it will always be my most important one. I’m glad Mike is willing to take this on.

The G will always be Bills baby. And now it is time to watch the young adult it has become, grow.

Bill, thank you for everything you have done and are doing.

Mike, we are here to support you, it is an honor.

Now everyone, spread the word that the G is alive and kicking!

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Hi Mike,
My company was a sponsor on the Grumble for many years. We would like to get back on and sponsor a banner somewhere on the Grumble.

Let me know where to sign up. We will have a booth at the WCAF show in Las Vegas. Stop by and we can get things rolling.

And thanks to Bill for letting us be a part of this great forum.

Bill Zickel
President
W.D. Quinn Saw Co.
Bill,

Thank you SO much for stepping up to help the cause!

One of us will be in contact, in about a month, once the transition happens and we are on the new server. (some time after WCAF) I would like to set up or develop a banner management system, that will rotate the banners for equal exposure everywhere on the forum, likely with some kind of performance reports for the advertiser. This will be one of the first things looked at, once we are on the new server.

Mike

bobtnailer

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Life has been a whirlwind for the last couple of months, so I haven't even logged onto the G for a while now.

Miss a little, miss a LOT!

Although I'm still the new kid around here, I have found this to be an incredible resource. The thought of it going away makes my stomach turn!

I've been a member of another forum (engravingetc.org) for about 15 years. It primarily serves the awards, recognition, and identification industry. EE was run as a free forum for years, but we switched to a fee-based membership a few years ago. Honestly, it's the best $99 I spend every year. The fact that it's a pay site keeps most of the tire-kickers away, and makes room for folks who are serious about why we're there. The membership numbers are smaller than when we were a free site, but the quality is MUCH higher than before.

That said, I would gladly pay a membership fee to help keep this place running. Even getting one question answered here would make it worthwhile to me! (Like the one I'm going to post in a few minutes!)

If no one else had stepped up, I would have done it in a heartbeat. Of course, I know jack squat about PHP, PCP, LSD, THC, or whatever chemicals you listed that forum maintenance requires...but I would learn.

If our new owner needs/wants some help, I'm here. Let's keep the G running!

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

David Hewitt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
OK, time to put your money where.................................

I started a GoFundMe account titled Retirement for GrumbleBill and have seeded it with $25.00.

You can access it at https://www.gofundme.com/f/retireme...edium=copy_link&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

Show your appreciation for all Bill has done for us over the years and make a donation for his retirement.

Bill is probably going to say he doesn't want it. I DON"T CARE.

He is going to get it. If he doesn't want to drink or spend it, he might pass it along to MikeL.

Either way it is for a good cause. Either paying it backwards or forwards. Bill's choice.

PS, I promise not to rip it off to fund my own retirement. I'm going to frame till I drop anyway.

UzZx32QU

Forum Founder
Forum Donor
[QUOTE="Ylva, post: 1086658, member: 7002"
The G will always be Bills baby. And now it is time to watch the young adult it has become, grow.
[/QUOTE]
TheG's old enough to drink. Beware young adults can get rowdy. :beer:

Thanks for all the kind words and comments. It's been a pleasure to run theG for all these years. I know it changed my framing and business formula from things I discovered here. Members, gave me the push to start my own place when the gallery I worked at closed in 1999. That business was sold in Jan18. I am loving my retirement. I'll be check up on you from time to time, I promise to not disappear. I hope all your businesses have a great 2020.

Bill
retired grumbler

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider

nikodeumus

Out of curiosity, is a donation like this considered a taxable donation or business expense?
Maybe that would help influence people who are reluctant to step up?

I think it's reasonable to say that anyone registered on the Grumble has gained knowledge or improved their business as a direct result of using this forum.
Hmm...I guess that would be a pretty weak argument to the tax collector.:shrug:
BUT, it sure is the exact reason we should all be a little generous.

C'mon people, it's the least we can do to show gratitude to Bill for all his hard work for literally more than TWO DECADES!
How many of us would do a difficult job managing a complex system, paying out of pocket, etc. FOR FREE for that long?

Here's a few suggestions to save enough to make a contribution....

-Skip a few fancy coffees :kaffeetrinker-2: (I know that's a tough one for some)
-Skip buying lotto tickets (your not going to win anyways :rolleyes:)
-Bring a bag lunch to work for a week :popc:

- Next time you get a PIA job, put that extra PIA fee towards a donation.

Any other suggestions?

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

nikodeumus

I just checked the new total, it's already doubled in the last day or so. Nice work everybody, let's keep it up 👍

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Since the Grumble doesn't charge for the service, any money set aside for this fund should be considered a gift. That saves a lot of accounting on either end of the transaction. I think the Grumble is an LLC, but it could have been set up as a not-for-profit and claimed to be an educational site, and then it would be thegrumble.edu.
The banner ads embedded in the forums are designed to be revenue generating for the owner. I would guess that these may have helped to cover the hard costs over the years, but generating a cash flow was not prerequisite in the creation of the Grumble.
We used to send Bill birthday gifts of a few bucks to help things along. If you look up his member profile, you will see that today is his birthday, and if you check it tomorrow, well that's his birthday too! Next Wednesday? Yep! He must like those birthday cards.

nikodeumus

If you look up his member profile, you will see that today is his birthday, and if you check it tomorrow, well that's his birthday too! Next Wednesday? Yep! He must like those birthday cards.
Ha! I love that :D.
Hmmm...I'm going to presume that Bill has been around for at least twice as long as the Grumble (Bill apologies if that is far over, and "your welcome" if it is far under:))
So, if every day is his birthday...365 days times 45 (guestimated minimum years), means he would have had at least 16,425 birthdays!!!
OMG!! Is he actually Bill Murray in Groundhog Day!?!?!? o_O

Bday.jpg