Beaded Frame

Woodworks by John

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Business
Retired, work from home shop
It's been a while since I've posted one of my "made from scratch" frames on the forum so thought I'd share this recent one. The painting is by Diane Eugster, measures 9" x 12", and it titled Talk to Me Too. It went to her gallery and sold quickly so that's a good thing for both of us! A client had seen a similar painting that Diane painted and really liked the technique it so asked if she would do something similar. A part of the request too was a fairly contemporary, silver gilded frame and this is the results.

There is a complete blog post about it here: https://woodworksbyjohn.com/2017/05/25/beaded-frame-105/

Basically, the frame is Basswood and gave me an excuse to purchase two tools I've had on my wish list for some time. One is the Veritas skewed rabbet plane and the other was the beading cutters for the Veritas small plow plane I already have. It was so much fun using these tools that I included a couple of YouTube videos in the blog I gave the link to. The angles of the profile were cut on the table saw then hand planed to remove any saw marks.
BeadedFrame - 1.jpg

The silver leaf was oil gilded over a gray burnisher/sealer then slightly distressed. The frame was then toned and sealed with amber shellac to warm up the cold silver and match more of the palette of the painting.

Back