Batik Glazing?

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Talked a guy into using glass and spacer on his batik, to keep the colors longer. But then he chose conservation clear, and being black and dark green, it's going to have a ton of reflections. I'm tempted to call him and suggest no glass, but then it would fade sooner. What do you usually do?

Do what he customer wants, when he sees it maybe he will want to change it out to Museum. I'm willing to bet price may be an issue?

Thanks, Guys! :)

I was thinking what Jim mentioned about the wax content being a dust holder. This is an ideal project for Museum Glass.
:cool: Rick

Agreed. He's just not up for it, though. Came in a bit ago, while I was fitting it, and is very happy. It would look awesome with Museum, but it was all he could do to get it with con. clear. Glad he's happy. Their wasn't enough fabric past the image, so we sewed the whole thing to a piece of muslin, then stretched that on a strainer. Framed with spacers.

Agreed. He's just not up for it, though. Came in a bit ago, while I was fitting it, and is very happy. It would look awesome with Museum, but it was all he could do to get it with con. clear. Glad he's happy. Their wasn't enough fabric past the image, so we sewed the whole thing to a piece of muslin, then stretched that on a strainer. Framed with spacers.
I've done only a few batik over the years. My customers seem to always want them float mounted with a black background to show all the uneven edges.
When you stitched the batik to muslin, did you sew it the entire length of all sides, or just spot stitch in evenly spaced places?
I've never stitched anything to muslin. Does the difference in the materials make it difficult to get the batik smoothly taut?

We laid the batik flat on the muslin, pinned it in spots to hold, then attached with a running basting stitch all around. I totally hear you about the difference in materials raising that question. My brain says, 'what if one stretches more than the other, or it's weird, or........'? But we followed the suggestion, stretched the whole thing, and it looks good. Our basting stitches are pretty close. Maybe a max of 1/4"between them?

That's alot of stitching. :faintthud:
I assume by hand? How long did that take?
Yet another aspect of the industry I have very little experience with.
So much to learn, so little time!

That's alot of stitching. :faintthud:
I assume by hand? How long did that take?
Yet another aspect of the industry I have very little experience with.
So much to learn, so little time!

It took our helper ninety minutes on a 25 x 53". Shops that do this often might use sewing machines, but we only do it once or twice a year.

Back