Baseball Shadow Box

Dave

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Framing a Ron Santo signed baseball. Planned on using heavy candle wick to sew through stitches. With its wax coating it glides easy. Would prefer not to have a lucite rod stand. Has anyone any suggestions or do you think the candle wick well re-inforced in the back will hold up over time?

I second Jerry's suggestion to use tulle. A search of the archives should tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the stuff.

But here's a quick summary: Tulle (pronounced 'tool') is available at fabric shops. It's what bridal veils, crinoline petticoats, etc are made of. It comes in a variety of colors; white should work best for a baseball unless it's really dirty.

Half a yard should be plenty. Expect to pay between $1.50 and $2.50 a yard. If the price is more like .99 a yard, that's berry netting which is not strong enough for framing applications.

Cut a circle of tulle big enough to hold the baseball. Cut a quarter-sized opening in the mat. Stuff the extra tulle through the hole, spread it out and hot glue it to the back side of the mat.

The advantage of using tulle is that it does not stress the stitching of the baseball. You have to look very closely to see it once the ball is in place.

Good luck.

Kit

Jo,
Baseballs deflate ?? !!
Is this for real ? Please advise.

Dave,
Have you seen sports ball mounting clips ?

ballclips1.jpg

Takes about 5 minutes to fix the clip and slip the ball in.

Baseballs deflate ?? !!
Is this for real ? Please advise.
No, but baseball fans deflate – especially those rooting for the Boston Red Sox.
cry.gif

Wow! What a great group. Thanks for all your input. I'm new to this group and am quite impressed with how generous people are with their time and expertise.

We all benefit when the members of our industry continue to progress in their professionalism and by helping each other, everyone benefits.

Thanks again!

Dave Makielski

Anyone know where to get the sportsclips in the states? I think I'd prefer to use Jerry and Kit's method, but would like to check these out also.

Dave Makielski

Dave,

Les may be too modest to tell you (yeah, right!!) but his company makes these ball clips out of lucite. I'll bet that he also has a way to get a couple of them to you if you ask nice. :cool:

(Those Aussie framer guys are sooooo helpful, .......... sometimes.)
thumbsup.gif
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Framerguy

Dave
This is a great group! To bad namta did not catch on to something like this. I told them about it about three years ago. That the independent art dealers need something like this to network with.

Originally posted by Dave:
Anyone know where to get the sportsclips in the states? ...
Dave:

The tulle method is probably the least visible way to do it, and it's fast, inexpensive & easy. The tulle is basically perforated nylon sheet, and it does have relatively sharp edges. Of course, they wouldn't cut you, but might slightly abrade the ball over time. However, nearly any mounting method would have the potential to abrade the ball over time.

If you want to try the clear acrylic mount, call Superior Acrylic Frame Co. in Riverside California: toll free 1-877-422-7954. Lois Bauby & compnay have developed several innovative mounts using acrylic. They do good work, too.

artist, Dave, others,
Sorry for the late reply, been away from late last week.
Thanks FG for the reply on my behalf ( too modest indeed, hee hee :D ).
I can send you these no problems, they travel cheap, and our $ gives you guys a good deal.
E-mail me at tudorglass@tudorglass.com.au
and I'll get back to you with details.
In reply to another e-mail I have received (Linda), we don't have an agent in the US (yet), but as advised can ship very economically.
We have this patented in Australia, as well as a baseball bat mount, and will likely be patenting this in the US in the coming months (have a provisional now which gives us 12 months to establish into other countries under the International PCT).
We are looking for an agent there, any suggestions for a good industry representative there ?

Back