Base/Stand for Hoffmann Machine

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
We're setting ours up today, and need to build something for it to sit on.

I'm curious how you have yours set up? Height, design, photo, etc. I was thinking maybe a box/cabinet with some drawers underneath to store the supplies. (or not, if the exhaust port is in the way)

Thanks in advance

I use a spare 3x4 design table from my move. I’m thinking of getting this cart, flip the top and it’ll take half the space:

We'll probably build a cabinet from 3/4" particle board, like we did for our other shop fixtures in the work rooms. I'll go take a look at the machine in a bit, it is still in plastic.

I used the cart I had designed for my MU-2. Just had to modify it a bit for the dust collection. I'm probably going to replace the top of the cart with a larger piece of plywood (all Baltic Birch) and may add a drawer for the peripherals for the Hoffmann. The dust collection is a DeWalt shopvac that rolls along with the cart, if needed.
The cart surface is 37"high putting the bed of the Hoffmann at 44.5". It's a good height, and I have good leverage with the handle (manual model). If you are designing from scratch, find what height is most comfortable for the primary user and build accordingly. With the pneumatic operation the mechanical advantage isn't important. Mine is also on casters (2 locking) because it has my thickness plane on the lower shelf, and has to be moved to the center of the room to effectively use that. If I'm using the Hoffmann, it's in something of a corner (nestled between the Brevetti infeed and the Phaedra outfeed fences).
If I had the space, I would build a pair of wing tables for the frame rails, left for before routing, and right after completing.

Thank you both! So you think something with wheels? I wouldnt have figured that, but maybe it's a GREAT idea. Ours can go in a corner, as well.

We're thinking of a 28" base for the machine to sit on, which takes 7.5" to the height of the guide arms. This would be equal working height as our traditional vnailer and joining table. (35.5" counter height)
We're going to make it 30x30 for the width, which is larger than needed, with some drawers in the face.

If we think it need wheels, we will look at that in the future.

Mike, I have most of my "stationary" tools on casters, including my vintage Powermatic table saw (600+ pounds of cast iron). With restricted space, I have to be able to wheel tools out of the way, or into position for working.
I've also designed a modular work bench for the shop that would consist of 3 40" X 60" work spaces that can be reconfigured as needed for larger projects. All on casters.

All of the loud "messy" tools live in the basement, where there is plenty of room. (our basement work and storage area is twice the size of our upstairs area. We already cut up all the pieces of lumber. and put some "feet" (rails) on the base to keep it from touching the floor (in case of a water leak, and so wheels could be put underneath in the future; without changing the height)

Thanks to you both!
Mike

She's not pretty and she's not finished yet, but here's where we are at so far
20220103_142535.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg
Here's mine in my uber messy cutting room. If you are not going to have the back panel attach to the side panels, you might want to add a small face plate to the upper front to tie the top and side panels together a bit more robustly. Not so much an issue with a stationary tool, but if you start rolling it around on castors...
You can see that the work surface is a bit small for the machine's footprint, so that will probably get changed out and additional storage on the sides will be added.
I'll probably run hard PVC ductwork for the dust extractor, so I can detach the shop vac and use it to clean the other tools and floor. Right now I have to spin the Hoffmann around to detach the vac hose.

Wow we had very similar ideas! It's pretty sturdy. I think you could park a rhino on top. The back holds it together, and there is a center support that is slightly off-center (to allow for exhaust port), which goes directly to the back plate. Andy will be putting a couple drawers and shelves in, and some floor tiles on the top. I don't think this one will ever be getting castors.

We use a very similar wet dry vac, branded with a different name, for our saw. We will grab another one for this, and another auto switch.

Thank you for sharing!

We finally had some time to set it up today. What a nice piece of equipment!

We opted for a RIGID brand 5hp vacuum, identical to the one from nearly 20 years ago that is still in service for the saw. I piped that in from the unit, through a cyclonic dust stopper device that clamps on top of a homer bucket, then to the vac with a hepa filter. We still need to get an auto switch to turn the vac on automatically. (It is on a power strip, for now)

Andy has only joined 1 frame so far, but it was flawless. He's anxious to learn more about it and start using it for production.

This was the first project we used the new Hoffmann for, a couple weeks ago.

1643813348836.png

Back