Barn Frame?

JbNormandog

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
NJ
Hi all,

Had a customer come in and ask for a barn frame. Said he got one from another shop and was told that is what it was.

I wasn't here and there was no picture but apparently the long description is "a natural barn wood frame (brown)".

He saw the distressed and shabby sheek (sp?) frames we carry but not what he wants.

Any ideas?

Janet L

From
Clayton, NC, USA
Suggest that he bring in the one he purchased elsewhere so you can attempt to "match" it. Larson Juhl does a barnwood frame that seems to satisfy my customers that are into that type of look. Comes in 2 colors and several sizes. Don't have my catalog here at the house, so I can't give you the number. Hopefully your employee got his phone number.

Pat Murphey

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
From
Lafayette, NJ
Forest Gallery in Hackettstown also has several profiles and colors in barn-wood. 800-334-0477 - a nice company with weekly truck delivery.

Pat :D

Scrap

Grumbler in Training
From
Ohio
Hi, I often peruse the grumble, but rarely do I get involved. I use real barn siding, from old barns that a ready to be torn down, also the 2inch perlings that are used under metal roofs, and the slats from old corn cribs. It must be straight, the same thickness, and all nails removed. The more rustic the better. Nail holes and old paint look great, and in many cases, thats exactly what is wanted. I personally look for it myself, and usually get it for free. I route out the rabbet to the desired depth, and sometimes stack pieces to create a larger frame. I usually charge $8.00 per foot, which makes a nice profit for a little work. I don't sell tons of it, but I do maybe a dozen or so a year. I have a sample frame done up in my gallery, and I show it when the need arises. Hope this helps.

billrobertstudios

True Grumbler
From
Cumming, GA
Lots'a chicken coops roun' here! Hope they wouldn't be too smelly!

I've seen those real barnwood frames too. The "profiles" that look like barnwood simply are not the ticket!

Yep, what ScrappyHappy says... find some ol' barn and git the wood! Saw it up and... presto! If you don't want to route, you could instead glue / staple a "stringer" on the back to create the rabbit.

Have fun!

Bill

Emibub

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
Centennial, CO, USA
Rustic Creations in Texas and Weather Wood here in Colorado have the real deal barnwood frames. I don't have either of their phone numbers right now......I'm sure there are others.

JRB

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
San Diego, CA
Old fences are also great and plentiful if your a city dweller.

Instead of a router, I use a set of dado blades on my table saw. Goes a lot faster than a router and zero tear out. If you don't want to spring for a new set, keep your eyes open at flea markets and garage sales. Even the local sharpening shop may have an old unclaimed set.

For this type of work, you do not need a great, ultra sharp set. I have an old set of dado blades that cost too much to sharpen, so I use them for rabbiting. Been using the same set for years. I have a brand new set I use for woodworking.

Having the ability to put a rabbit into wood, to me, is one of the basic requirements of a frame shop. If you are one of those custom framing businesses that only uses chops, and you do not actually have any tools to speak of, see if you can to work out a deal with some old retired guy in your neighborhood, who will do these odd jobs for you now and then, in his garage shop.

John

Mecianne

From
Alabama
Originally posted by Emibub:
Rustic Creations in Texas and Weather Wood here in Colorado have the real deal barnwood frames. I don't have either of their phone numbers right now......I'm sure there are others.
I use Rustic Creations. These are very popular with our customers. They are wonderful folks & have actually built a couple of custom display cases for me.

Rustic Creations

Last time I checked, e-mail was either incorrect or not working, so give them a call.