Wanted artist looking for a mat cutter

Item Wanted
M

Matt B

Hi all. I just joined The Grumble. I'm a painter and photographer; not a professional framer. I'm looking for advice about what sort of mat cutter to buy. I was looking at the new Logan 650/655/660's, but I realized after reading comments here that used equipment might be that best alternative. I want to be able to cut mats with relative ease, including 4 and 8 ply mats. I live in San Jose, CA. Does anyone have a good used mat cutter for sale, or advice about what to look for and where I might look? Thanks, Matt.

You should stay away from that line of Logan's. Those are not professional mat cutters. More for the hobbyist. The 850 series are professional grade - Logan bought the Phaedra Chronomat after the company folded and renamed it into the 860 series.

I was at an auction of a frame store on Sunday,http://www.thegrumble.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=920269 , and included in the sale was a Logan (650 I believe) as I reported in the quote below.

About the only thing I saw that sold for it's true value was a Logan mat cutter that went for $1.00.

You didn't mention your budget. I would keep looking in the Commercial section here.

No matter what kind of mat cutter you purchase, there will definitely be a learning curve, even if it's a CNC. If you want easy, CNC is the way to go. Do not expect to be cutting perfect mats right off the bat, but once you have it down, and have become familiar with your cutter, any of them will seem easy. That is of course, assuming that you cut mats pretty much every day. The further apart your mat cutting sessions, the greater the frustration levels.

From the earliest days of frame shops, mat cutting has always been the most stressful task out of the entire operation. CNC machines have all but erased that little problem about being a picture framer, but even those machines can have their moments.

When you do find your cutter, keep it clean and use it often lest you find yourself swearing and lobbing hammers and such across your studio.

Look at the Fletcher line of mat cutters, I've only used them a few times over the years, but they seem to be one of the easier cutters to get to know.

The all time greatest professional hand cutter was the old Keaton Cutter, they cut fantastic mats but had to be kept spotlessly clean. Cleaning the Keaton was part of our opening procedure each morning, if we didn't clean it, it would not cut.

Another option would be to try and work out some sort of a deal with a frame shop that has a CNC if you only cut mats sporadically.

If you come across a good Keaton Cutter and the price is right, the head is not worn out, and no rust or corrosion, especially on the rail, bag that sucker. But remember, parts might be hard, if not impossible to find.

-John

Start from a basic mat cutter, preferably a second hand one, see how you go practice and learn from it. Then buy a new new one.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll look for a good used one. Thinking $600 or less. Sounds like I should look for Fletcher, CNC, and Keaton. Anyone know whether C&H and Valiani Astra are good?

The C+H is a good machine. Never had experience with the Valiani Astra, but their equipment in general is well made and long lasting.
:cool: Rick

Getting a secondhand professional quality cutter is definitely the way to go. Just be sure it has been well cared for and has all its parts. Manuals for older machines are available through a link here on the Grumble (that red lettering on Larry's post above).

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll look for a good used one. Thinking $600 or less. Sounds like I should look for Fletcher, CNC, and Keaton. Anyone know whether C&H and Valiani Astra are good?

C& H are great mat cutters. I bought a used one about 7 years ago (and it was probably 15 to 20 years old at that time) and after cleaning it and periodic maintenance, it works great. I paid $500.00 (including production stops and a squaring arm) plus $100.00 for the table the cutter was on. A great investment.

The only problem I have had is a few months ago the spring on the production stop broke. I ordered a new one (Nielsen Bainbridge sells them and has replacement parts) and it works great again. Note; you do not need to have production stops, and you can cut without them, but sometimes they come in handy. If you can also get the squaring arm, that will make it easier to cut mats down to size if you don't have a wall cutter.

I was in a competition recently and one of the employees of another shop said my corners were much better than theirs, and they have a CMC. I believe they don't know how to adjust theirs, or they overuse their blades.

I have had access to Logan's over the years, and I have always given them away.

Hi all. I just joined The Grumble. I'm a painter and photographer; not a professional framer. I'm looking for advice about what sort of mat cutter to buy. I was looking at the new Logan 650/655/660's, but I realized after reading comments here that used equipment might be that best alternative. I want to be able to cut mats with relative ease, including 4 and 8 ply mats. I live in San Jose, CA. Does anyone have a good used mat cutter for sale, or advice about what to look for and where I might look? Thanks, Matt.

I sent you a PM of a mat cutter that I have for sale.
It's in excellent condition and I have the manual.
Neil

Back