Opinions Wanted Artique vs. Cresent vs. Peterboro Acid Free Alpha Cellulose Mat board

monkey

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Artique vs. Cresent vs. Peterboro. Strictly asking about Acid Free Alpha Cellulose mat boards, NOT Rag or Fabric mats. Is one brand better than the other in regards to getting clean bevel cuts, lay flatter, less specks in paper, and quality etc?

Reason I ask is because I’ve always stocked Artique mats and now thinking about switching to Cresent or Peterboro. Mainly because Artiques is only carried by Larson Juhl and if they are out of stock than I’m screwed, plus they increased my cost. And I’ve always noticed Artique mats are fairly stiff so once it has a bend it doesn’t lay flat which is a problem for floating artwork. The positive side is that it always cut cleanly in the Wizard. Artique also have a few popular colors in 8 ply that are solid core Acid Free Alpha Cellulose which are reasonably prices (less than 8 Ply Rag) which I sell quite a bit off. Cresent and Peterboro Alpha Cellulose aren’t exactly 8 ply, but more like 6 ply.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Doesn't your Larson also carry Bainbridge? Between Artique & Bainbridge I can get just about any color and texture I will ever need. I also carry Petersboro and Crescent from different suppliers so I do have other options.

I do like Artique & Bainbridge best for the way it cuts.

Last edited:

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
Years ago I was a big Crescent fan, with Bainbridge a close second. I've evolved to 85% Peterboro, 10% BB, 5% Artique. Here's why:

- price. I get the best price for Peterboro. 20% more for Artique, 50% more for BB. No difference in quality, so why pay more?

- quality and consistency: I have yet to complain about a PB mat.

- customers: I show PB first. If they can't find what they want, then off to the other two. The PB range is quite good. Matter of fact, we just sold 230 PB Onyx mats.

- made in Canada: this company is somehow surviving in what I think is the worst business climate in the country. It deserves our support. And the CEO actually visited our shop.

- Crescent lost me years ago with the core problem.

- Artique mats are denser, harder to cut, and the Wizard groans. I don't like groaning Wizards.

The only thing that I cant figure out with PB is their numbering system.

Grey Owl

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
First of all, I don't like the term 'Acid Free' in any description with customers. Sure it is a marketing term, but is meaningless, just like someone saying it is "Temperature Free" outside. Lye is acid free. Salt is acid free. Either in your mats would ruin your day.

To the basic question about the three, I primarily use Crescent. I would like to use Peterborough but none of the local distributors carry Peterborough, and it is too expensive to ship in one mat at a time. I do carry Bainbridge samples, but I use more Crescent.

I was told by someone that Peterborough uses a different / superior adhesive in their mats, so if they were available I would certainly look at them more closely.

I have used all 4 manufacturers of 100% cotton rag mats [Crescent, Rising, Peterborough, and Bainbridge], and I have found all will work, but Crescent has more colors so I have standardized on Crescent because of colors.

I have never paid attention how many colors of Alpha cellulose mats Crescent, Bainbridge, Peterborough and Artique have. That might make a difference because I like to use the same kind if possible, as each brand has slightly different characteristices.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
One more note: when I noticed I was moving to PB, I set up a conversion list where my old standby BBs could be replaced by PB colors: Talc replaced by A470, Ivory Black 8519 by A109, and so on. So I can use up the BB offcuts in situations where either will work, until they're gone.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Not a big fan of Crescent. I haven't measured them, but they appear to be thinner than other standard Alpha-Cellulose boards.

Love the Peterboro line, now if I could just convince a distributor who delivers to stock them.

Bainbridge and Artique are my go-to boards for Alpha-Cellulose. I buy some colors by the pack/box.

monkey

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Thanks for your input everyone. I'm thinking about switching my in house stock to either Cresent or Peterboro mainly based on price and availability and also to try something different. The Artique are nice but they are stiffer and denser, difficult to get to lay flat sometimes, and it's only available through Larson Juhl. In the past I
've mainly used 90% Artique, remaining 10% split between Cresent, Peterboro, & Bainbridge.

Don't get me wrong I'll still keep Artique and Bainbridge mat sample around. But my first go to mat will probably be Cresent or Peterboro, than Artique, and than BB. I didn't mention Bainbridge earlier because my cost on them are higher. My customer don't care about what brand my mat boards are, they only care about the color and that it looks good and it's acid free.

I do remember in the past having issues with Cresent Rag mats with the white core not cutting cleanly in my Wizard, leaving rough bevel. Drove me nuts, I would get an ok bevel cut on the Sides and Top but the bottom would always have a rough bevel cut. I wonder if Cresent has resolved that issue?

alacrity8

Forum Donor
I've done the stock matboard swap a number of times over the last 2 decades (and 5 stores).
Certain Bainbridge Alpha mats have problem surface papers that scuff and shred when cut.
Artique mats tent to be less vibrant in color, and have an odd core.
Certain Peterboro Acid Free "white" mats range wildly in color from batch to batch.
I haven't had any memorable problems with Crescent Select mats (other than not being able to get them from Larson).

I stock the full line of Crescent Select matboards (minus the specialty boards).
I'd probably stock the Peterboro boards if I hadn't had issues with them.

Bainbridge and Artique have slightly stiffer cores than Peterboro and Crescent.
As I hand cut most mats, I prefer the way the Peterboro and Crescent cut.

In my experience, they all have the occasional black thing in the bevel.

Brian

alacrity8

Forum Donor
- Artique mats are denser, harder to cut, and the Wizard groans. I don't like groaning Wizards.

Would changing your cutting speed help with the groan?

When we updated our Wizard Computer and Software from the stone age, our Wizard became super fast.
It sounded like it was going to tear itself apart.
After finding that there was a way to adjust the speed, we got it back to about where it was before.
The slower speed adds a few seconds to a cut. Since we tend to cut 10 or less mats a day, that isn't a problem.

Possibly a faster speed would help with the groan.

Just a thought.