Artique - Opinions please

Elaine

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
My LJ rep sent me artique samples, and I would like to know the opinions of those of you who use them. Do you use them as a supplement to Bainbridge & crescent colors or are they your sole mat choice.

No bashing, just honest opinions on quality, pricing, etc.

Thanks

Elaine

We use in addition to Bainbridge & Crescent. They have some useful colors.

Apart from mats proper, their A4968 makes a very nice closure in conjunction with RabbetSpace.

We use them - probably as a primary choice with Truvue a close second, then Crescent and Bainbridge. Their price point is excellent.

Nice mats but some of them seem to be over-buffered. ATG lifts right off and won't stick unless you burnish it down. (My rep told me I was the only person experiencing this problem - but then, he said that about everything.)

Kit

Great mats, great colors, great price, virtually no discontinueds. Only downside is LJ delivers once a week, I can get B & C delivered three days a week. But it really isn't a big deal just wanted to be completely honest.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

They are our first choice when matting. The price points are great and they are almost always "in-stock". If a board is out of stock LJ will have several options through the other manufacturers. I say go for it, but then again I'm probably part of the LJ conspiracy to take over the world.

I use a lot of Artique mats.
They have a good color selection and good prices.

Any special adjustments for depth on the CMC due to thickness?

Originally posted by Elaine:
Any special adjustments for depth on the CMC due to thickness?
No, none at all. They cut really clean. I think you'll love them!
thumbsup.gif

I use the same depth for my Artique as B or C.

I use more A than B and more B than C, mostly because of the price of the A. Of course the A doesn't have solid Rag boards.

I find they have a denser core so when cutting them I always dial up my blade depth just a little bit.

They have great colors. HOwever - I've heard rumor that they are not as "healthy" as the bainbridge alphamats - is that true, or was our BB salesperson just trying to drum up more sales??

Sandra, the Bainbridge mats have Zeolites, Artique don't. But, they are buffered and conservation quality. Maybe that's what they meant by "healthy?"

well, it's been a while - but I remember them pulling out one of those acid test pens and drawing a line on the artique and the BB and the color change indicated that the artique had a higher acid content (or something to that effect)

They are the first ones I use when not going for a rag mat. Colors are nice , love the price, and I have never had an oos. My last employer had a bad cmc and last I knew was going to drop the line because they were a nightnare to cut on her cmc. They always hooked no matter what was done. The stiffness of the board saeemed to be a factor. Now that I have a Wizard 8000, I can tell you that has never been the case and they always cut beautifully. Go for it!

Originally posted by El Framo:
I say go for it, but then again I'm probably part of the LJ conspiracy to take over the world.
I too feel that I have turned to the 'Dark Side'.

As long as we are on top when the transformation is complete we will be all right.

thumbsup.gif

My rep told me that are redoing their relationship with JA - that was good news

I will try the artique as another option

Thanks for all the advice

Elaine

Back