• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Art Appraisal For Estate Value

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Register for the picture framer's grumble
A customer is the executor of a deceased relative's estate and needs his art collection valued. I gave her contact info. for an art appraiser and a local estate auctioneer. (I told her that I'm not a licensed appraiser, but am pretty good at being able to tell if someone isn't worth much, or is worth paying for an appraisal.) I did a paid walk-through, and his 'valuable collection' is almost entirely limited edition prints from the 1990's and a few lavishly framed Kinkade canvases, but they still need it valued. Now, I'm wondering if she should ask his insurance agency who they use for estate art appraisal.

told her that it's fairly likely none of what he owned would sell for what he put into it, or for what it's ostensibly worth. But at the same time, if someone is insuring art, is the replacement value for what it cost to buy and frame, or what you could get one for now on some internet site? And same for valuing an estate that's divided among heirs. Unless I'm mistaken, a lot of what he has is worth far less than they imagine, but even if someone wouldn't buy it, it still probably has theoretical value.

And if you use some site for general art valuation, feel free to share. The gallery where I worked in the 90's subscribed to the Art Expediter, but we don't. And I see that it has a website, but is it still very active? The auctioneer told me they've referred to artfacts.org and another site before. Feel free to share any thoughts/resources.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

JFeig

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
As I see this scenario, the executor of the estate thinks that these "limited edition" prints are worth BIG BUCKS. As a formerly practicing art appraiser, I can state that the cost of an "official written appraisal" will possibly exceed the value of what is to be appraised. Any ethical appraiser would and or should state that fact from the beginning.

The report (written appraisal) of an estate appraisal and an insurance appraisal will differ in content and possibly value estimates.

Romanf

Grumbler
Business
Simply watercolors
A customer is the executor of a deceased relative's estate and needs his art collection valued. I gave her contact info. for an art appraiser and a local estate auctioneer. (I told her that I'm not a licensed appraiser, but am pretty good at being able to tell if someone isn't worth much, or is worth paying for an appraisal.) I did a paid walk-through, and his 'valuable collection' is almost entirely limited edition prints from the 1990's and a few lavishly framed Kinkade canvases, but they still need it valued. Now, I'm wondering if she should ask his insurance agency who they use for estate art appraisal.

told her that it's fairly likely none of what he owned would sell for what he put into it, or for what it's ostensibly worth. But at the same time, if someone is insuring art, is the replacement value for what it cost to buy and frame, or what you could get one for now on some internet site? And same for valuing an estate that's divided among heirs. Unless I'm mistaken, a lot of what he has is worth far less than they imagine, but even if someone wouldn't buy it, it still probably has theoretical value.

And if you use some site for general art valuation, feel free to share. The gallery where I worked in the 90's subscribed to the Art Expediter, but we don't. And I see that it has a website, but is it still very active? The auctioneer told me they've referred to artfacts.org and another site before. Feel free to share any thoughts/resources.
I have used askart.com in the past. They have valuations, bios and even artist signatures so you can compare to your art in hand. Tons of information about thousands of artist worldwide…..if I remember correctly, maybe listings of 300,000 plus.

Romanf

Grumbler
Business
Simply watercolors
Another site that has been very helpful regarding artists, etc. is artcyclopedia.com. They have thousands of artists, both modern and ancient….with bios and other pertinent info.

worth the look and it’s free!

Ad Banner for SmallCorp