• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Anyone using their Knight Maxi press to apply vinyl laminate?

Dan Berg

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
I have a hot roll laminator webbed with Seal Print Guard Luster for canvas prints.
Goal is to speed up production by getting rid of our canvas spray operation.
The vinyl laminate is so much durable as well.
Problem is the roll of material on the laminator is never the right size. Too big to small. Too much waste.
We just got a new 32x42" Knight Maxi press for our dye sub metal print business.
The first thing I tried when I got it hooked up was to cut a sheet of the Print guard luster laminate and press it on a canvas print.
Works surprisingly well.
Is anyone else doing the same thing, using a large heat press to adhere laminate? What times, temperature and pressure are you using?
For my samples I have 200F at 1 minute with heavy pressure(70lbs) excellent results. I read that heat vacuum press settings are 185f at 4 or 5 minutes.
(Pretty much the same process.)
I have ordered a roll of the Drytac perforated ArtShield Satinex laminate with the recommended 1/2" foam pad to try out.
The Drytac product is about half the cost of the Seal product at .50 cents per square foot.
Happy for any help I can get.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Been doing it for 25 years. The easiest laminating process is laminating Satinex to canvas. The most difficult is laminating Satinex to giclees. I use a Hot Press at 92 Celsius, 90 seconds for canvas, and about three minutes when laminating on HDF with Trimount.

Dan Berg

I have the 1/2" felt pad on the bottom that came with the press. Drytac folks said I should have the 1/2" foam pad on top so I purchased one on those. All this should come next week. I ran several more samples yesterday of the Print Guard product and they look fantastic. Dwell time of only a minute but my press was set a little hotter. Makes for an expensive laminator but is so much slicker and quicker.

Trying to shorten my time from printing to wrapping, Epson 9900 pigment on Lexjet Matte canvas. Wanting to move to a semi gloss Pk canvas with the shortest drying time.
What are you printing on and how long are you waiting before lamination?
Thanks

Last edited:

tedh

First, I’ve never used a pad below the subject. Just a foam pad above.

Second, we’ve never had a problem laminating Satinex on canvas, just with paper prints. There’s an issue when placing the Satinex on the giclee. On some, the print “grabs” the Satinex, and will not let go, so in these cases, the laminate is not repositionable, and you’re screwed. To avoid this, I use a foam core squeegee, and a second person helps me lay the film down. Very carefully!

I don’t print. Most of our work comes from a printer in town, and if we screw up a subject, we just have another one printed. If we know when the piece was printed, we give it a couple of days before laminating. But we never wait if the print is on canvas.

When a really large one comes in, we send it out to a wholesaler in Ottawa.

Dan Berg

Received the Drytac Artshield Satinex and it works great in the heat press. 200 degrees for 4 minutes.
After printing the Lexjet Sunset Select Bright matte canvas with my Epson 9900 I put the print under the 2 portable heaters to slow flash dry the inks until the next print is finished or about 5 minutes. I then put the print in the smaller heat press in the hover position at about 300 degrees for about a minute. Then to the big press where I just smooth out a cut sheet over the print and press for 4 minutes. It took me a half day to print, dry and laminate all 32 prints where in the past that was a 2 day deal. A day for the prints to dry and another day for the Glamor II topcoat to dry. Looks like this will work very well for these larger print batches that tied up my entire shop while drying. So far no negatives.

Attachments

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

tedh

Well, there are two negatives, but they can be overcome. The first is cost. Satinex is not cheap, but its cost is offset by serious time savings. The second is the tendency of it to "grab" the surface of the print, making it not repositionable. You have overcome this, too, by heating the print.

Nice result. Happy for you!

Dan Berg

Well, there are two negatives, but they can be overcome. The first is cost. Satinex is not cheap, but its cost is offset by serious time savings. The second is the tendency of it to "grab" the surface of the print, making it not repositionable. You have overcome this, too, by heating the print.

Nice result. Happy for you!
The Satinex was .50 a sq. ft. and my matte canvas is $1.09 a sq. ft. Material total $1.59 a sq. ft.
Spraying Glamor II may have been .25 a sq. ft. but took overnight to dry.
A third option I had was to move to a satin or gloss instant dry canvas using PK ink at about $2.10 a sq. ft. still potentially needing a topcoat.
The forth option I was considering was either a Latex or Solvent printer ranging from $15k to $20k.
Really glad I did not go that route, totally out of my budget.

tedh

In the end, Satinex is a bargain!

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding