• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Any experts on Printmount vacuum presses?

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

SusanG

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
We purchased a new basic Printmount vacuum cold press in 1986. It's a little larger than 32 x 40. It has been used lightly and served us well. It works ok in the hottest months but in the cooler temperatures it will not reach a full vacuum. Printmount went out, so I can't ask for support. I wish that I knew what to do to make it work. I know that the owner is around but I don't know how to reach him. I think that it's as simple as replacing the bladder but I sure could use some direction. I do not think that it is a leak on the sides. My work room is tiny and I need to fix it or use the space for something else.
Thanks,
Susan

Upvote 0

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
We purchased a new basic Printmount vacuum cold press in 1986. It's a little larger than 32 x 40. It has been used lightly and served us well. It works ok in the hottest months but in the cooler temperatures it will not reach a full vacuum. Printmount went out, so I can't ask for support. I wish that I knew what to do to make it work. I know that the owner is around but I don't know how to reach him. I think that it's as simple as replacing the bladder but I sure could use some direction. I do not think that it is a leak on the sides. My work room is tiny and I need to fix it or use the space for something else.
Thanks,
Susan
I am not an expert at the Printmount cold vacuum press.
I know a lot about the Drytac and Bienfang/D&K/Seal/AKA Vacuseal heat vacuum presses.
We have a Drytac 40"x60" and also a Bienfang 40" x 60" press at work.

That said, I don't know if you have the manual but here it is from Larry's site...
There are some tips for lack of vacuum and testing if you scroll down to " VI troubleshooting".

Resetting the hinges, making sure that it's level, using the lid clamps if you have them.
You might try leaning on various spots of the lid as it's running to see if the vacuum comes up.
I have even sat on corners of a Bienfang to get vacuum but I wouldn't suggest that with a glass top press like the Printmount.

A small hole in the bladder can be patched with a little silicone glue.
I don't know if a bladder is still available for that press and I'm not sure that it would be worth it.
You might contact Steve at AIM Enterprises, inc. Buying Selling New and Used Machinery Equipment https://aimequipmentcompany.com for used equipment or parts help.
Good Luck:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I'm no expert and we don't even have one, but I recall some good troubleshooting steps for a different brand.

It walks you through using a fog machine or e/vapor cigarette to determine if there is a leak. (vs a bad pump)

There could be a pin hole that you can patch with a dab of silicone, an over compressed foam base, etc.

If it ends up needing a new pump, and isn't a leak, I believe most off the shelf pumps should work fine. (from Grainger, etc)

The original thread/advice is here:

JFeig

Your machine is over 30 years old. There is a natural lifespan to the rubber components. If there are any holes or cracks in the rubber bladder there are sources for rubber sheet stock that can be ordered and cut to size. I have attached a single rubber source for reference as there are more that one.

David Hewitt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I replaced a bladder using shower stall liner material, available at Lowes or Home Depot.

JFeig

David, that is probably EPDM rubber. That might work as well. However, I would ask a rubber expert first for what is the appropriate rubber to use.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

CHolt

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
The fact that it works in warmer ambient temperature suggests that some component is contracting with the cold. Do you adjust the lid latches to make them more snug when the temperature falls?

I found the spot where the lid seal wasn't seating on my press by trying to slip a piece of thin cardstock here and there around the perimiter of the press. I was able to adjust the latch and make it tight again.

SusanG

The fact that it works in warmer ambient temperature suggests that some component is contracting with the cold. Do you adjust the lid latches to make them more snug when the temperature falls?

I found the spot where the lid seal wasn't seating on my press by trying to slip a piece of thin cardstock here and there around the perimiter of the press. I was able to adjust the latch and make it tight again.
Thanks CHolt. the Print Mount cold press does not have a latch. I could try some cardstock though. Good idea. Thanks.

snafu

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
My first vacuum pump was an old rotary vein type at least 50+ years old. It worked great in the summer but winter was an issue. My solution was to heat it up prior to use and use a lower viscosity oil. The cold doesn't affect my current vacuum pump Welch 1402, I purchased it on ebay for about $350.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202