Opinions Wanted Antivirus programs - which is do you like best?

Framar

WOW Framer
From
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
Back in the dawn of time I believe I used Norton, and then somehow Avast won me over with their pirate talk. ("Avast! Ye have a scurvy dog off yer starboard bow!") But now my Avast Premium is somehow interfering with my email system (I can only send and receive email by turning off Avast for a few minutes), and every time I do any scans with them they are always yelling about selling me more and more stuff.

I am reading that Norton seems to be the highest rated - so, what do you use?

I am mostly on my old laptop with Windows & and Firefox and my email is Windows Live Mail. Win 7 is no longer supported but they send me some sort of update every month.

Thanks!

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Jacksonville Beach, FL USA
Business
Sunshine Frames
Kaspersky. Single subscription covers all PCs, pads, and phones up to something like 10 individual machines. 3 year subscription that automatically renews if I do nothing to stop it (I am given the option).
I tend to avoid freebies, like Avast, or the limited subscription protection that used to come with the computer when new.

Framar

WOW Framer
From
Lots of discussions and references on the Google to removing K because of possible security reasons.

I used to use free programs but I have been paying for years as they have added more features.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
I'm also a big fan of Kaspersky. The 5 year multi PC licenses are very reasonable, and the program has never let me down.

It gets some hate because some developers were originally from Russia. It was founded by a guy in Russia, but is now owned by a company from the UK with a Boston office for USA.

Norton and Mcafee will also do the job, but they are very bloated.

I use the most basic version, not the one with all the extra unneeded features.

Windows live mail has been gone for a LONG time and doesn't (officially) work with the last few versions of Windows. I was able to get it to work with Windows 10, but not Windows 11.

It's easy to convert over to Thunderbird (from Mozilla), and it will even import all of your folders and accounts from the old program.

Mike

Romanf

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Forum Donor
From
Middle Tennessee Usa
Business
Simply watercolors
I'm also a big fan of Kaspersky. The 5 year multi PC licenses are very reasonable, and the program has never let me down.

It gets some hate because some developers were originally from Russia. It was founded by a guy in Russia, but is now owned by a company from the UK with a Boston office for USA.

Norton and Mcafee will also do the job, but they are very bloated.

I use the most basic version, not the one with all the extra unneeded features.

Windows live mail has been one for a LONG time and doesn't (officially) work with the last few versions of Windows. I was able to get it to work with Windows 10, but not Windows 11.

It's easy to convert over to Thunderbird (from Mozilla), and it will even import all of your folders and accounts from the old program.

Mike
Plus one on Thunderbird…..been using it for years.

Larry Peterson

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Wilkes-Barre, PA
I moved from Outlook to Thunderbird many moons ago when I hit whatever the storage limit was on Outlook at that time; 2GB I think. One of the things I liked is that you can setup your email store anywhere you want (although it takes some research to do). I set mine up so it could be backed up and by specifying the location it made it easy to reinstall my entire email store on a new PC. I have moved my entire email store at least 2-3 times since I got Thunderbird. Am in the process of making a new build so it will be moving once again.

Framar

WOW Framer
From
Four years ago when I bought the new Win 10 laptop (which I hate) it came with some awful email program on it, so I installed Thunderbird and almost immediately uninstalled it, because I hated that program even more. Now I have not even turned on that once brand-new laptop for probably over a year.

When I got the Win 7 laptop and tried to import my previous email Outlook (from my XP desktop) to Windows Live Mail it was nice enough to import my entire contact list - but with zero email addresses - only names. *sigh*

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
Thunderbird has a very similar look to the old Windows Live Mail program. I have 14 email accounts, and it manages them just fine.

I do the same as you, and back up the data folder regularly. It backs up everything, even the account passwords, and makes moving to another computer fairly painless.

Framar

WOW Framer
From
Well, I finally got my email working again by turning off incoming and outgoing checks with Avast. Other than the occasional ads for Costco and ED remedies, they have always been pretty good at discerning junk mail.Keeping Avast for now, because I figure all of the various anti virus programs are equally infuriating.

I also signed up for their cleaner for a free trial which I will cancel before I have to pay for it.

Will look into Thunderbird again before Live Mail bites the dust.

Thanks, all y'all, for the input.

Dirk

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
From
Washington
How often do you need to get a booster?

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Perth Western Australia
Add me as another fan of Kaspersky. The license costs are reasonable and it just sits there, weeds out any nasty emails and flashes warnings if I go to any dodgy sites.

I gave up on Norton years ago when my then computer crashed trying to load it. The term my guru used for it was "bloatware" I think it gained a lot of undeserved popularity in Australia because it was often "bundled" with other goodies on new computers.

For emails I use Thunderbird too as I find it much easier to navigate than the Microsoft programme.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
I usually get a 10 PC 3 year license. The last time I did so, in 2020, it was only $123. (about $4/year per pc)

Their volume prices are decent!
Mike

Larry Peterson

Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Anyone have any good multi-year deals right now. The longest I can find is for 2 years. I would like a 5 year for 3 PCs. I have a license for Malwarebytes but when I log into their site it tells me I have zero subscriptions and when I enter my registration subscription it tells me I can't. I have an ID and registration key for the PC it is currently on but the malwareDummies won't accept it. Supposed to be for multiple PCs but malwareIdiots can't even find it for one. Entered a trouble ticket on 9/13 with no response so its time to move on. I've cancelled any future payments for malwarebytes. Now I need something decent for a new PC I just built. Like I said 3 PCs, 5 years. For now I am running Avast Free until I find something

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
Kaspersky is pricing up 3 pcs 2 years for $59.99, (~$10/year per device)
10 pcs 2 years $124.
The 3 year equivalent is $179, and not on sale.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
coupon code REDUC-10 takes 10% off ( brings it down to $53.99)

Larry Peterson

Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Anyone have any good multi-year deals right now. The longest I can find is for 2 years. I would like a 5 year for 3 PCs. I have a license for Malwarebytes but when I log into their site it tells me I have zero subscriptions and when I enter my registration subscription it tells me I can't. I have an ID and registration key for the PC it is currently on but the malwareDummies won't accept it. Supposed to be for multiple PCs but malwareIdiots can't even find it for one. Entered a trouble ticket on 9/13 with no response so its time to move on. I've cancelled any future payments for malwarebytes. Now I need something decent for a new PC I just built. Like I said 3 PCs, 5 years. For now I am running Avast Free until I find something
It only took them three weeks to answer my trouble ticket but Malwarebytes got my subscription straightened out so my new PC is now covered.