Opinions Wanted Anti virus software

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Artemis Custom Framing
I finally finally finally got myself a laptop. The plan is to install my POS on it, as soon as possible.

It came with a free 30 day trial of McAvee

Per Mike's recommendation, years ago, I installed Kaspersky anti virus on my pc.
Just wondering if that is still the best out there. I never had any problems on my pc with it.

I used McAvee years ago and was not impressed. For now, it is quietly running in the background so I am reconsidering.

I am sure Mike will jump in! It is good to have it out here for others who might be looking. I am also curious to see what everyone else is using.

I've been happy with Norton for years. It now comes with VPN and Lifelock. You can usually buy at a discount on Amazon or other online merchant.

Mike will know what is the current best choice. Kaspersky had some PR problems a while back because they are a Russian company. I don't remember how that shook out.

McAfee seems to me to BE a virus. It comes preloaded on about everything and it is really hard to get rid of!

I have been using Windows Defender, and supplement it with occasional scans with AVG.

I have used Avast! for years, first the free version and now the paid version. Other than the fact that they keep coming up with new "features" which cost extra, keeping to the "Avast Premium Security" seems to be doing well and I have never had any problems. Although it used to come in Pirate English which was kind of fun "Avast! Ye have a scurvy dog off yer starboard bow!"

It is not an option when you want to run POS

Actually, it is. You can use a PC, Mac, or Tablet with Lifesaver Cloud, FrameReady, or IFramer (Australia)

However, MacOS isn't exempt from getting a virus. Just because virus authors target the product with the larger market share (Windows 88%, MacOS 9%), doesn't mean it is any more secure. You should run an A/V program, regardless of which operating system you use, IMO.

I'm still very happy with Kaspersky, and run it on more than 10 machines between the frame shop and home, as well a dozen more at the full time job. It has been more than 10 years since we have had a virus on ANY of those 22 or so machines. There was some (politically motivated?) media hype that some coders or owners were in eastern European countries, I don't have concerns about the product. Kaspersky USA is from the Boston area. They make the product for Windows, MacOS, Android, and IOS. I get the most basic version, which doesn't have all that other unnecessary "stuff" that will slow down the computer. I don't want an extra firewall on top of the one built in and the router, VPN, or password manager. I find that if you configure it for a multi pc, multi year license, the price is actually very reasonable. (and rakuten/ebates usually has a deal that stacks, too. currently 20% cash back)

I agree what wvframer said about McAfee :) It's the first thing I remove when I get a new computer, which sometimes isn't easy to remove.

Good luck,
Mike

I agree with Mike that no system is completely safe. Idiots always try to find ways to infect systems. But more dangerous are the smart emails about bank-data and sending malware to hack your computer and to ask money for getting your computer back again. The most important is to keep your eyes open, never open a never asked/unknown file and keep using your brains.
I'm a boring surfer as I think. I do not enter the dark-net and only visit my known trusted websites. I use MacOS for over 30 years now (and many of my fellows), never used an anti-virus software and never had a single issue.Perhaps I'm the most lucky surfer in the world....... ;)

I'm by no means knowledgeable when it comes to anti virus security, or computers in general for that matter, but I've been pretty happy with Kaspersky for years now. One brand I've wondered about thought is Malwarebytes. On the occasions that something has seemed to sneak through Kaspersky, or other programs I've run, I've downloaded a free Malwarebytes that has taken care of the problem every time. It leaves me to wonder if maybe I should buy their version instead. Anyone have experience with the paid version of Malwarebytes?

My experience with Malwarebytes was to seek it out if I thought I was in trouble. Or whenever my techie guy gets his hands on my computer, he always installs it (along with his all time favorite, Defraggler).

Last time I had a remote tech session with, I believe Avast, their tech encountered Malwarebytes, acted like it was a virus, and deleted it.

Back