Another email question

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
I have three email addresses. One is Yahoo, one is my local ISP, and one is through my shop 's website.

Now that I am stuck in Canada for who knows how long, I would like to sign up to online services (like PayPal) so I can get deliveries here in Canada. But every time I try I get those "Oops, your email address is already on file" and it is on file with my shop address and bank account in Buffalo.

So what is another email entity I could sign up with? I hear from the grapevine that folks are abandoning gmail in droves and I have heard of hotmail. but I don't really know anything about it

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Forgabout hotmail, live, outlook, aol and yahoo and others of that ilk. All are second class email services. All of them block my emails even though I send legitimate emails from my server for order confirmations.

I don't know where you are hearing about gmail, but I like it. My ISP blocks outgoing SMTP mail so I have been using gmail for years for outbound mail. Never an issue and I don't get spam on my gmail address.

Others may have different opinions but I would try gmail.

I’m happy with Gmail. Very little spam. I have four different gmail addresses.

Another thought. Your website should allow you more than one email address. You don't list your email on your website but if your email is something like mar@framaree.com you could have another like marCananda@framaree.com or marCA@framaree.com. Your local ISP probably allows more than one email address also.

Gmail is my favorite for general email, but we use our own domains for our businesses and my jobs.

I'm a bit confused by the question, though. Why do you need more email addresses? You should be able to get into all of your existing accounts from home, by adding them to your email software or by accessing them on the webmail portals. example for folks who are on the support team, with email addresses here: https://webmail.thegrumble.com/ The same format may work for your shop's webpage email.

I think it is the linking of PayPal, if I’m correct. Looks like PayPal is set up for USA and Mar want to set one up so it is linked to Canadian bank account, right?

Mar, I would just sign up for gmail and link that for a separate PayPal account

ooooh

One of my main problems in all of this email nonsense is that other than having a foot in each of 2 countries, every place wants to send me text messages to verify my existence and I do not have a smart phone.

But maybe since I do have a Google Account (yes, I know - I was shocked to find it!), maybe the gmail approach will actually work.

Stay tuned . . .

Sometimes you would have the option to use another email for verification, instead of text.

Do you have a mobile phone at all? Even my old flip phone, gone now, was able to receive a text

I have a really old Jitterbug but it no longer works in Canada (Verizon used to work but they stopped supporting the service) and it never received texts to begin with. I only use it in the States (to call customers that would be long distance). And when I click on "use another option" it only suggests a text.

Another approach. Might take some time, though. I have the old tracphone which belonged to my late hubby. It is an Alcatel flip phone, but it is capable of texting. It has a great battery! And I read that it is considered the best quality cheap phone in Canada. So maybe I can find a carrier (is that what they are called?). I know my phone company (Bell Canada) will only want to sell me an iPhone.

There is a tech guy down the street from my house. I will phone him on Tuesday when he reopens and see if he can help me.

I have a really old Jitterbug but it no longer works in Canada (Verizon used to work but they stopped supporting the service) and it never received texts to begin with. I only use it in the States (to call customers that would be long distance). And when I click on "use another option" it only suggests a text.

Another approach. Might take some time, though. I have the old tracphone which belonged to my late hubby. It is an Alcatel flip phone, but it is capable of texting. It has a great battery! And I read that it is considered the best quality cheap phone in Canada. So maybe I can find a carrier (is that what they are called?). I know my phone company (Bell Canada) will only want to sell me an iPhone.

There is a tech guy down the street from my house. I will phone him on Tuesday when he reopens and see if he can help me.

You might be able to just use a pay as you go service. That’s what we do with
AT&T
Depends on SIM card probably.

You know, it rots my socks all the time when I hear about all the criminals who use "burner phones" but maybe the bad guys in Canada use some other form of communication.

OK, just looked up on the Bell page and they do sell Alcatel phones. So if I have to, I suppose I can buy a new one, but it would seem to be a horrid waste since the one I have of Donnie's is perfectly good. Just have to see if it can be unlocked.

And you know what is REALLY annoying? Last week my neighbor went to the store and bought me a loaf of bread and he sent me a TEXT when he dropped it at on my back door. My land line phone rang and a robo voice said I had a text and when I pressed "1`" to hear it, I received the robo message "Bread on door."

If my non techy neighbor can do this, why can't Google?

:faintthud:

I like my pay as you go plan. I do need a new phone though, as screen is now cracked and it can’t handle updates anymore
I always get an unlocked phone. I keep my phone for years. No data, just WiFi, text and voice

Yup. That is all I want. If I had a smart phone I would never get off of it because I am a dopamine-addled click monkey.

So Google emails me a six digit code and THEN they want to text a verification.

I gotta go to bed.

Maybe tomorrow will be another day . . .

Can't seem to find any info about using an existing phone on Bell Canada's website, but I did find an almost identical phone only better features which only costs $75 to buy new and then $30-something a month. I have spent all day so far trying to get through to their customer support page. Looks like it is totally down. Not a good sign for Canada's largest phone network.

:faintthud:

Not sure how many carriers there are in Canada. I spend a lot less a month but I have a very old pay as you go plan that is no longer get offered. They keep trying to switch me, nope, thanks.
I pay $10 a month and can refill if needed.

Apparently Canada has the most expensive cell phones in the world, because the country is so vast and the people are so few and far between.

But then my Jitterbug flip phone in the States runs around $22 a month for 50 minutes of phone calls (most of which I never use).

I have the ATT pay as you go. The current plans are around 25 a month with unlimited call and text.

I just buy unlocked cell phones, you can get a decent smart phone for under $100.
Not the latest model, but I don’t care about that
I am looking at an upgrade and really drooling over one that is $300
Just not right now.....

I was at a wedding last year and my friends from Telluride and I displayed our old school flip phones.
I still have the same phone.
Mine is an LG that I bought new on Ebay and I have TMobile service.
I just buy the minutes as I need them.
I think the phone was about $40.

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 6.08.36 PM.png

I use my phone for making and receiving calls and I can send and receive texts if I want.
I can also take photos if I want but I have a separate camera for that.
My phone has many apps available but I just don't want them on my phone.
I just don't want to carry a computer around with me all of the time.
I use computers for email and many other things.
We have 5 computers at work and I have 2 at home.

Last edited:
I have the ATT pay as you go. The current plans are around 25 a month with unlimited call and text.

I just buy unlocked cell phones, you can get a decent smart phone for under $100.
Not the latest model, but I don’t care about that
I am looking at an upgrade and really drooling over one that is $300
Just not right now.....

“Just not right now”.

That is becoming the motto of the world. Spending, consuming, planning, are all on hold until normalcy returns.

I think that will be for the months to come. I can’t justify to spend that kind of money, without knowing how much income there will be.
However, there are still people working and earning money, and eager to start spending again.

“Just not right now”.

That is becoming the motto of the world. Spending, consuming, planning, are all on hold until normalcy returns.

Not me. I am still a slave to conspicuous consumption. I'm counting the days until I can dump my Note 8 for a shiny new Note 20.

I think we all have to proceed carefully with spending $$$ until this whole COVID-19 situation is resolved and we are all back to work again. (Well, except for Larry!)

Woo hoo! Their website was back this morning and I was able to sign up for a cell phone! Yay! Two year contract waived the cost of the phone, and it will cost $30 plus tax per month, plus a one-time $40 set-up fee. Of course, it only works in Canada. But at least now I will be able to receive those bloody texts needed to verify my identity to Google, et al.

So all I have to do now is wait for my new black flip-phone to come in the mail.

:thumbsup:

You should be able to find that manual here:

Once you have it, please post the pdf here so it can be added to the manual page maintained by Larry Peterson

Looking for a manual for a carithers signature manual oval mat cutter CSO. Does anyone have a resource?

Hi Beardie! Welcome to the G.

Greg already provided a link to search. Did you browse our excellent resources manual, by Larry Peterson?

If you are in search of anything, please start a new thread. People would not see it in an existing thread. We have an excellent “help in search of” subforum.

Feel free to browse and ask questions. If you need some help navigating the forum, let us know. More than happy to help!

Well. My new flip phone arrived in the mail today and now all I have to do is try to figure out what the heck they mean by SIM card (do I want to install the standard, the micro, or the nano?).

Think I will tackle these mysteries on the morrow.

*yawn*

Did it arrive with the sim card? It's a tiny lil chip that you slide in, which identifies the phone to the carrier. On a flip phone, you probably put it in the compartment where the battery is.

If the phone came directly from the carrier, they probably pre installed it. You can turn it on to see if it works, and will know.

You can learn more and see pics at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_card

The battery was not even allowed to be installed for shipping. The SIM card looks like a credit card with three nesting varieties of SIM sizes nesting inside each other. Waiting to be punched out. I don't want to wreck anything but it kinda sorta looks like the thing could use either the micro or the nano.

Hold the phone! ;) Upon further research and perusal of the (IMHO badly) written instructions, I believe this device uses the nano SIM and the "micro" it is referencing is a SDHC card (not included, LOL).

I believe today will be a very long day . . . :faintthud:

Yippee! Nano did the trick! Phone has been turned on and it recognized Bell.

Gotta get it charged up now . . .

Welcome to hi-tech! Here’s a cool story: I tried to boot up my old LG G4, just for fun. It stopped at the logo, and would not go any further, so I googled the problem, and remembered it was caused by the infamous LG bootloop. So I watched the fixes on YouTube, and there’s one where you take out the motherboard, hit the CPU with a blow dryer, then place a tiny bit of business card in foil, put it on top of the chip, then re-assemble the whole thing. Ouch!
This led to a fascinating video by someone in the Middle East: it is called “reballing”, where you take the CPU chip off the motherboard, clean off the soldered joints, and re-solder new solder balls, then re-install the CPU. Google “reballing LG V10”. This makes the CPU connect again. To a non-tech guy, this is some horrible stuff.

The battery was not even allowed to be installed for shipping. The SIM card looks like a credit card with three nesting varieties of SIM sizes nesting inside each other. Waiting to be punched out. I don't want to wreck anything but it kinda sorta looks like the thing could use either the micro or the nano.

Hold the phone! ;) Upon further research and perusal of the (IMHO badly) written instructions, I believe this device uses the nano SIM and the "micro" it is referencing is a SDHC card (not included, LOL).

I believe today will be a very long day . . . :faintthud:

The SDHC card would be something else, to add additional storage for photos.

Woohoo. You did it!

This thing supposedly has a really lousy camera, and since I do have 4 digital cameras already, I probably won't be needing the SDHC card.

Onward and upward . . . :D

You probably know this: You may have problems crossing the border with your phone. If it is on when you enter the USA, you’ll get hit with a foreign roaming charge of maybe $8/ day. I’ve been nailed even while in Brockville, when an American tower picked up my signal from across the St Lawrence. You have to call Bell and yell at them to reverse it.

Thanks for the warning!

I do have an even dumber flip phone that only works in the States. I never turn it on unless I am making a call. The new Canadian flip phone will be used the same - mainly bought it to receive texts to prove my identity and make emergency phone calls to roadside assistance.

My flip phone that I posted about earlier is an LG and it's a few years old.
My service is from T mobile.
I don't have a contract, I just purchase minutes $100 at a time, it's about 1100 minutes and the minutes don't expire.

I began to notice that I was down to 204 minutes a couple of weeks ago and I was anticipating having to get a refill.
Then I noticed that even though I was making a number of calls, some of them for many minutes, long distance and local and I was receiving texts and voice mail, my minutes have remained at 204.

I called T mobile last weekend to see what was happening and they told me that during this period, the minutes are all free.
I thought at the time that maybe I shouldn't have told them that my minutes aren't changing but it's OK...
I'm still at 204 minutes even today.:thumbsup:

Anyone else have something similar going on?

I have a two year contract with the new Canadian phone. My "$30" a month (plus taxes and "additional usage charges") are good for 50 Canadian minutes (is that like 35 American minutes?), 100 text messages, with "unlimited nights and weekends from 6pm to 7am, and 100mb of nonshareable data" (I have no idea what those last two things mean).

I have read that Bell isn't charging for extra internet usage for the duration of the shutdown.

Back