Another design needed

Springlock and Easel Backs by Craft Inc

johnny hulgan

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Customer brought in a post cord that they wanted the mat cut like the outside design of the card. I'm reading the path trace instruction book and not doing well with it. Is there a service that will let you send a file and make it for you?

SusanG

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Johnny,
If you have a Wizard, you may pay Wizard to do it. Last time I checked it was $50, but I could be wrong on that as it has changed in the past.
Susan

azoq

If you're not already up to speed and working well in Pathtrace, don't bother trying to do something for a customer. There are way to many things that can easily go wrong / confuse the uninitiated.

Unfortunately, Pathtrace is a really poorly designed program, but it's all that Wizard gives you... so not only do you have a huge learning curve, but also a piece of software that acts unpredictably at best and crashes constantly at worst. (Hint: I hate Pathtrace)

Pay someone else to do it.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
If you're not already up to speed and working well in Pathtrace, don't bother trying to do something for a customer. There are way to many things that can easily go wrong / confuse the uninitiated.

Unfortunately, Pathtrace is a really poorly designed program, but it's all that Wizard gives you... so not only do you have a huge learning curve, but also a piece of software that acts unpredictably at best and crashes constantly at worst. (Hint: I hate Pathtrace)

Pay someone else to do it.

Me too. Refreshing to hear someone else thinks it's a PIA. Add to it the poor documentation, lack of an ergonomic design, and there you go.

Much like museum glass: on the surface, great, but having to clean it and replace the scratched pieces, PIA.

MarkEatonLLC

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Business
The CMC Doctor
FREE CAD software

FYI: You can use DraftSight (a FREE CAD program) for creating custom mat designs for ANY CMC EVER built. That's right ANY CMC EVER built. If you spend the time to learn it for one machine, you can take all of your knowledge and designs to any other CMC that you may purchase or work on in the future.

I can provide training for this program. I also have a custom programming service for any of the CMCs.

Springlock and Easel Backs by Craft Inc
Register for the picture framer's grumble

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
FYI: You can use DraftSight (a FREE CAD program) ...I can provide training for this program. I also have a custom programming service for any of the CMCs.
Mark, would your training and programming service do any good for those of us who are using not-free CAD programs, such as Corel Draw?

tamip

Register for the picture framer's grumble
Mark, do tell me more.

I have a Wizard and use pathtrace--even took the on line Brian Wolfe class a few years back. I can get make pathtrace work but am not a "Wizard" at it, that's for sure. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it makes me cry due to the amount of time I spend trying to get something simple to work!

murrayatuptown

Grumbler
I am interested in Draftsight as an alternative to what I never found usable previously, but am currently running old Eclipse 3.5 software under Windows XP...so there are some things that have to happen before trying anything new, then filtering out the CAD functions that were not necessary to create a cut-able design for an Eclipse XL. Then there would be learning curve in Draftsight, which appears to no longer be free. It would be wise to understand the process before licensing software I might not use very often. Or, if the experience was reasonably efficient (unlike past experiences), it WOULD get used regularly.

I used Pathtrace a couple times with on old Wizard 5000 and all I remember was curves being restricted to spline curves (or spline curves were NOT permitted?), and the frustration of trying to complete a shape at any screen magnification with the ends not meeting...there was no 'snap' feature to complete a shape and we ended up paying someone else because the time spent getting Pathtrace to produce anything was more costly than farming it out. When contract design went from $/design to S/hour (understandably), we just avoided complex designs.

What I would like to know is what are the steps required (regardless of software title) to go from either a CAD-drawn shape or a scanned shape (.JPG or .TIFF?) to an Eclipse file (.mw3?).

I have been focused on calibration and maintenance, but believe the Eclipse software has the ability to input .DXF files.

My perception of what Pathtrace did was to make a compatible file from a screen image. I assume the shape ends not meeting I experienced in the past was a CAD-level difficulty...so maybe not a Pathtrace problem. Been many years so I could be blurring two different tasks together.

Ideally, scanning an image seems like it would be fastest...but that might only be the first of multiple steps.

Thanks

Murray

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202