American Chopper

ang13

Grumbler in Training
From
Massachusetts
Basically, this question is for those who have purchased chops within the last few months . . .

What American company gives you the best quality chop service (i.e. mitres fit right out of the box)?

Jay H

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
KY
I would guess that the worst one has as good or better equipment than 90% of us. Now the people operating that equipment......

I say get a sander and order from who ever you like.

Steven6095

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Nicholasville, KY
Do the sanders do a great job? Do they basically make the cuts perfect or what? I am very interested in gettig one
Just trying to figure out how great the things are.

Steven

Jay H

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
KY
I'm still searching for the elusive "perfect" mitre. I haven't found it yet. I would say that a sander makes the mitres more consistant. But yes they do a great job.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
From
Lincoln, RI
Business
Get The Picture
The sander makes every chop a perfect one. It's small and earned its keep in a couple months.

Even the big companies send poor quality chops once in a while.

Framerguy

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
Destin, Florida
I don't believe that any saw will chop a "perfect" miter every time. There are too many variables with the blades and the wood grain oddities to allow that to happen. I get some pretty good chops on my saws but I wouldn't say that all of them are perfect by a long shot.

The miter sander has some good points going for it though. Once it is calibrated to sand a "perfect" 45&#186 angle, it has nothing to "run out", it doesn't move fast, and it is consistant in it's job. You can therefore true up a cut with an accuracy that isn't always there with a saw blade running at a couple of thousand revs. per minute.

If you are buying chops on a regular basis, I would recoommend buying a miter sander because, as someone said, the employees don't always share the feeling of quality that we share and sometimes they simply are having a "bad hair" day!

Framerguy

ang13

Grumbler in Training
From
Massachusetts
'nough said. just the answer I expected. thanks

Jerry Ervin

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
North Carolina ... The Picture Frame Capital of th
Originally posted by Jay H:
I'm still searching for the elusive "perfect" mitre. I haven't found it yet.
I have. It is obtained by purchasing a Ledsome Saw. Since I bought mine, I have not turned the sander on. If you have a sander, there is something not right about your saw. Sanding is compensating for poor equipment.

Jay H

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
KY
"If you have a sander, there is something not right about your saw."

Tell that to my chopper!

Steven6095

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Nicholasville, KY
I am for sure looking into purchasing one. I have a small part time shop near my house. Sort of home base sort of not.

I would like a sander at a decent price. Volume low but quality hi. I order everything chopped, but I have never been happy with the quality of the majority of the chops I receive.
Steven