Amazon Ring Camera Drone

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
Yes, Amazon/Ring is coming out with a flying camera to monitor your home from the air.

Cool or creepy?

I'd be afraid this might be abused by modern "peeping toms" or criminals, and maybe even a sound nuisance.

What do you think? :)

A very smart idea. Does Amazon aware you from not collecting/filming all your furnitures and household stuff? I should prefer a drone outside the house.

As with anything else hackable, it depends on your security and whether the black hats consider you something worth targeting.

Last edited:
Well a flying camera always records audio and video.

Amazon echo/Google Home/Apple (I dont know its name) personal assistant devices only listen for their "wake up word" before they send anything out to the host server. For example, if you say HI GOOGLE (or SIRI, or ALEXA), these devices (including smartphones and tablets) then record the command following the wake up word - and send ONLY that to the server. Then the server process and interprets the request, if its a music playing request, google search, etc and sends back an answer. They don't constantly send audio to a server, nor do they monitor (locally, within the small device) other than to wait for their wake up word. I've tested it myself, they use zero bandwidth unless they are working on a request with the proper wake up word.

The camera thing is more invasive. :)

I just found a new product coming out that is a bit questionable, and I'll make a new discussion for that one :)

From a purely "scientific" point of view, I think the technology is amazing.

From a personal rights and freedoms perspective, I hate it.
So many legal and ethical issues.
There's nothing stopping someone from "monitoring" any other personal/business/government space they want with a device like that.
Not that we don't already have the "need" for constant video surveillance in almost every other aspect of our lives.
-Traffic cams
-Nanny cams
-Dash cams
-Body cams

All of which have been used for good (ie: to uphold the law), and have been "abused" (ie: invade personal privacy).

This is the future.
Big Brother is getting "bigger" everyday....."1984" anyone?

81Hs+IrRmwL.jpg

Oh, Peter - you gotta know I find all of those devices creepy. From smart phones to smart refrigerators.

And what I would like to know is why do the things all have the same name? (Siri or Alexa)

That would be like having to name all cats Puss and all dogs Spot.

ALEXA can be switched to respond to ECHO or COMPUTER

This is the future.
Will it be Orwell's Big Brother or Huxley's Soma?
These gadgets of convenience comfort us.
Everything you need, delivered to your door, (by Amazon, of course).
Will the Apocalypse just be one, gigantic safe-space?

Ever read 'Technopoly' by Neil Postman?

Apparently some Mercedes Benz cars respond to voice controls and this article was dated 2018:

I hope you can disable it while you are ferrying kids - they would drive you crazy with this toy.

Most cars have voice command, now, but they can be a nuisance if they respond to a voiced word. They are fine if triggered by a button click. In my Audi, I load destinations in my phone contacts, then I can press a button on my steering wheel, hear a beep, then say navigate to" ". I watched a video critique of a new Mercedes model where the word Mercedes triggered a voice inquiry. The poor guy was continually harassed by the car every time he mentioned the brand.

I think most cars have had voice commands for at least 10 years now. But the systems are still somewhat primitive and difficult to use. For example, I would much prefer to use the WAZE app instead of the voice commands built into my 2015 Honda CR-V. With the app you can give a company name, contact name, or full address to go somewhere.... vs with the car it is a major ordeal to speak different blocks with the house number, street name, prefix, city, state, etc. (distracting, too) The built in isn't too bad for using your voice to initiate a phone call, though.

Most vehicles since 2015 also have better smartphone integration built in, to extend the phone's screen to the screen in the car - for selected apps such as WAZE. Vehicle manufacturers market it as "Android Auto" (Android devices) and "Apple Carplay" (IOS devices). These override the one built into the vehicle, using the same optional controls on the steering wheel.

Many vehicles also have Alexa built in now, or you can use your smart phone's system for many things ("Hi Google" or "Siri" to wake it up) I think this will be the norm. You can load apps, ask questions about anything, ask it to play music, or ask it to call someone. (hands free, directly to the phone in a vehicle not equipped with Android Auto or Carplay)

I read this wiki article on the book you suggested Shayla...

It's a fascinating topic that is extremely relevant to the discussions in this thread. đź‘Ť

One thing to remember about tools is this. Whether a mechanical device, a digital platform, an action/behavior, or in some other form, there is much we can't control about the results of their usage. As Postman writes, inventors often guess inaccurately as to what that usage will be, both in form and scope. And the more powerful the tool, the more momentum it gains, those usages, and their effects, are magnified.

Back