• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Aluminum name plates

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Angie

Grumbler in Training
Business
Events Imaging
I stumbled on this forum by chance but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here. I am hoping for some help. I am a photographer but Covid has decimated my business. I have an opportunity to make some money producing aluminum halter plates for horses. I have access to a mechanical engraver and only need to put names on the plates, but I am having trouble getting info on how to blacken the letters. I know there is an oxidation process, but I want to do it right and produce a quality product. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to learn a new field and I have jumped into the deep end of the pool!

Frances M.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Long history with horses but pretty much all of the names plates I've seen on halters, bridles and saddles are brass, so be prepared to supply and engrave that as well. Also, consider plates for dog collars, even if it is just a phone number for the pet owner.

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
These were brass, black paint was used to fill the lettering. Squeegee, the paint, when dry, wipe lightly with thinner. ( This was a simple machine I found that was used for making animal collars, I used it for making plates for on the backs of picture frames )

1608479258614.png 1608480561274.png

Last edited:

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Welcome to the G.
The blackening on engraved aluminum plates isn't an oxidation process, it is a pigment of some kind that is rubbed into the recesses of the engraving then wiped off the flat surface. When aluminum oxidizes it produces a white powder, Aluminum Oxide.
Metals that tarnish like brass and silver are blackened with an oxidizing agent.
There are a few members here that do engraving, perhaps one will fill in the details a bit.